Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

.020 alleged high compression head Cox_ba12

.020 alleged high compression head Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

.020 alleged high compression head Empty
Live on Patrol

.020 alleged high compression head

Go down

.020 alleged high compression head Empty .020 alleged high compression head

Post  OVERLORD Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:54 am

I read about the .020 high compression head on the forum and recently, Gus the I.A. was talking about it describing his entry for the photo contest. He pointed out that the glowplug had the same marks as the 1702 head. I understand that the circular knurl is meant by that.

I had a look among my parts and found these .020 heads new in package and unopened:

.020 alleged high compression head Imgp7114

.020 alleged high compression head Imgp7115

1) The one in the bag has a flat top surface, the one in the package has a knurl on the top.
2) Both carry the same serial number 1302.
3) The 2nd package mentions the head is for Pee Wee AND Tee Dee engines.
4) The instruction sheets mention only 1 serial nr. for a Pee Wee and a Tee Dee head.

Can we conclude that a .020 high compression head doesn't exist?

or

If it exists, why would normal and high compression heads carry the same serial nr?
If it doesn't exist, why do some have a knurled surface?

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

.020 alleged high compression head Empty Re: .020 alleged high compression head

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:19 pm

It doesn't exist. At least not from Cox anyway. The knurled and plain head have the same combustion chamber.

Also since you mentioned that both have the same part number then there is no other conclusion to draw.

Thanks for doing the research!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:37 am

In that case, why would Cox bother putting a knurled circle on some .020 glowplugs. Was it to seduce potential .020 Tee Dee buyers? Or just to meet the TEE DEE tradition?

On Ebay, there is one for sale, believed to be original, with a knurled glowplug:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COX-020-TEE-DEE-GLO-MODEL-AIRPLANE-ENGINE-CONTROL-LINE-WITH-BOX-/390743434369

They did not only come on finished engines, but were also sold as spares. A mystery to me.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:11 am

IIRC, my Pee Wee's purchased in the 1960's and 1970's all came with the knurled inner ring on the head. Cox possibly removed the knurling as this was an additional machining operation as a cost cutting measure for the later engines and parts.

Cox .020's were revolutionary when the came out. The Pee Wee in the 1950's was more powerful than some of the .049's of the time. No wonder why modelers went after the Cox products. The .020 Tee Dee was just that much more powerful. Ken Willard used the Tee Dee in an RC Schoolgirl bipe in the RCM magazine that became a Top Flite all balsa kit. The Bipe has a 32" span, shows a Cox Medallion .049 with throttle setup, but Ken wrote it up powered by the Tee Dee. It was powerful enough to tote along a .049 plane.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  halfpilot Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:54 pm

I am really sorry to dredge up an old thread but was curious about a knurled 020 head that came into my posession. I opened up two results from google about it, this thread, and another on rcgroups started by Bernie back in 2011 when he introduced his current production 020 heads. Bernie seems to be of the opinion that there were high compression 020 heads prior to the 90s and apparently modelled his new production 020 heads on them whereas this thread concluded that there was never such a thing. I am confused to say the least.
halfpilot
halfpilot
Formerly known as:
ThermalSniffer

Formerly known as:ThermalSniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:40 pm

ThermalSniffer wrote:I am really sorry to dredge up an old thread but was curious about a knurled 020 head that came into my posession. I opened up two results from google about it, this thread, and another on rcgroups started by Bernie back in 2011 when he introduced his current production 020 heads. Bernie seems to be of the opinion that there were high compression 020 heads prior to the 90s and apparently modelled his new production 020 heads on them whereas this thread concluded that there was never such a thing. I am confused to say the least.

No need to apologize really. We're still discovering things about Cox engines/parts that we didn't know. I do tend to agree with Ron Cribbs' comment concerning the same combustion-chamber area between the differing part numbers. The larger .049 glow-heads can fairly-easily be identified when placed side by side. The area where the glow-head seals down on the copper gasket, has a wider band of material which reduces the combustion-area. With my "limited" machining experience; I would gather that the conical-area was (and still is..) formed by a ball-(radius)-nose end-mill in the machining process. A higher-compression head would merely require less of a depth-setting than standard.. or removing less material from the inside of the head. I doubt that it's any more technical/scientific than that.

I will say that the conversion-heads that use a standard 1/4-32" glow-plug don't deliver the performance of an original "standard-compression" Cox glow-head design. I think the reason for this is; that a standard/low compression glow-head blank is generally used for the conversion. When this head is drilled/tapped for a standard 1/4-32 plug; some compression is lost.. through the threaded area and whatever integrity exists with the gasket used for that plug. The  Glo-Bee clip-ring "insert-type" plugs avoid this. I feel that this is why they work as well as the Cox glow-plugs. It's just my theory though. I'd like to see Cox adapter heads made from high-compression "blanks".. which might yield better performance. One could then experiment with more/less Copper head-gaskets to tweak their performance with different fuel-blends/props.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:46 am

Roddie, two reasons why adapter heads don't work well. First reason is the threads. Threads don't seal and you lose compression around the threaded portion of the plug. Second, the volume within the plug where the filament is retained. This is why turbo plugs and Nelson plugs work, they don't use a copper washer to seal the base but rather a taper at the bottom which seals it. The other is the filament is contained within a very narrow hole further reducing it's chances to take up volume. While you might see a performance gain using a different style head, the chances of the above outweigh the head design.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down