Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Cadet 1/2A model - Page 2 Cox_ba12

The Cadet 1/2A model - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 8:23 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Cadet 1/2A model - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

The Cadet 1/2A model

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Cadet 1/2A model - Page 2 Empty Re: The Cadet 1/2A model

Post  larrys4227 Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:55 am

Rustoleum does give a good finish, but you have to be patient on letting it cure. Once cured, buff-buff-buff for a glossy shine.

And many light coats is better than a couple of heavy ones.
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:18 am

"....buff-buff-buff...."  I was always under the impression that once you sprayed gloss enamel you didn't touch it with any kind of cutting compound.  It goes on relatively thick so that it flows and sets a high gloss.  What do you recommend for buffing?

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:43 am

My most recent plane I used a tiny bit of wax and a cloth baby diaper .... made it shine like the dickens!
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:19 am

Good idea. The wax would probably help to prevent the fuel residue from effecting the paint and make it easier to wipe off. Just car wax?
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:57 am

I can't remember exactly ... it was awhile ago. But since I like anything carnuba (sp) wax .... I'm sure it was that. Smile
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:18 am

Don't quite have my "almost complete" shots of the Cadet yet, but I'm looking for some appropriate decals & haven't really found what I want. I'm envisaging something along the lines of a Goodyear Racer style. Mainly looking for the appropriate size & style numbers (No. 4. Not sure why but that just seems right) and I can probably use a few car type "sponsor" stickers to decorate it as well. I'm starting to get square eyes searching on Google and Ebay for what I want.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:49 am

She's looking good Rod , I like orange too , good luck on the decals if your not printing them , could bee a pain to find what U want . Fishing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:11 pm

getback wrote:She's looking good Rod , I like orange too , good luck on the decals if your not printing them , could bee a pain to find what U want . Fishing
Eric.
I've added a cockpit outline since the pictures and I'm starting to rig up the hardware, but I figure it needs some decorating. I might have some scaps of iron-on covering I can use for stripes etc. Never used it before buy I got some in a lot a while back. Does anyone know, can I just lay that stuff straight on and hear to adhere?
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Rod, I detest auto-correct spell spcheck, But I'm sure if you HEAT the trim strips, they'll adhear to the model. If you try to hear them on.....you have to be listening for the glue to dry........ lol! Huh...
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:52 am

Marleysky wrote:Rod, I detest auto-correct spell spcheck,   But I'm sure if you HEAT the trim strips, they'll adhear to the model.  If you try to hear them on.....you have to be listening for the glue to dry........ lol! Huh...

lol! lol! lol!
With my poor hearing, they'll never stick Laughing
That's all good if I'd used a spell checker.  Just my dyslexia kicking in.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:31 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
Marleysky wrote:Rod, I detest auto-correct spell spcheck,   But I'm sure if you HEAT the trim strips, they'll adhear to the model.  If you try to hear them on.....you have to be listening for the glue to dry........ lol! Huh...

lol! lol! lol!
lol! lol! lol! lol! Does anyone know, can I just lay that stuff straight on and hear to adhere? Yes just listen for it .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:21 pm

getback wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:

lol! lol! lol!
                                                                   lol! lol! lol! lol!   Does anyone know, can I just lay that stuff straight on and hear to adhere?  Yes just listen for it .

Yeah, but that's going to be almost as boring as listening to paint ad-hearing to primer.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Yeah, yeah guys, so I made a "whoops" in my post. Enough said. Looks like I need to be a little more careful if you can get this much milage out of one letter wrong lol! Greater scrutiny in the future me thinks.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:15 pm

I'm going to weigh in on the Rustoleum.  Nicholas and I just finished our 2 planes with Rustoleum spray enamel and let them cure 3-4 weeks before they saw any fuel.  The first couple flights we came home immediately and wiped them down and cleaned them up with alcohol.  After about the 3rd time out the paint started getting soft and sticky.  I don't think it's going to last.  We primed with Rustoleum gray primer and that dried over 10 days before we topcoated.  Our stores carry the Rustoleum 2X which they say covers better and goes twice as far.  That may be an issue, maybe standard Rustoleum enamel works better.  I "baked" on the enamel by putting the planes in my car in the sun for a few hours on the 4th or 5th day.

The paint is fine on most of the plane, it's mainly the front fuse and outboard wing top near the fuse that gets all the fuel and is soft.  I can't imagine a wax is going to protect it against our fuels.

I also had an issue with the finish, and this may be the primer.  My topcoat went on beautifully glossy and smooth.  I filled the top plank wings with an ultra-light filler.  When the gloss topcoat dried well it had roughened into a semi-gloss.  I then topcoated with a little clear and same thing, went on great, dried rough.  Never had that happen with spray enamel.  Overall we're happy with our paint jobs and now the planes are wracking up battle scars so it's all good!

I love the convenience and finish from a spray can and might try Krylon next time or some fuel proof car paint they sell at my LHS.  One day I'll cover with material and also try some dope.  I know that's not the most convenient method but it's a classic I should have some experience with.

Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:23 pm

Hey Skyray --- We both live in Florida, so we know how humid it is. Its gonna take a long time for it to cure up. I think I would have left the plane(s) in the car for a number of days. Let that paint bake right on and gas off.

I've only got 2 planes that I've used Rustoleum on ... but they don't see the nitro content of the 1/2a's. I think I waited a month before I flew them. Thats the only downside .... the waiting ..... drove me nuts. LOL

larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:54 pm

larrys4227 wrote:Hey Skyray ---  We both live in Florida, so we know how humid it is.  Its gonna take a long time for it to cure up.  I think I would have left the plane(s) in the car for a number of days. Let that paint bake right on and gas off.

I've only got 2 planes that I've used Rustoleum on ... but they don't see the nitro content of the 1/2a's.  I think I waited a month before I flew them.  Thats the only downside .... the waiting ..... drove me nuts. LOL

I kept the planes indoors under a/c where it's nice and dry at about 40-42% humidity.  The waiting was tough so we fished and gardened in the mean time.  Gotta have at least 2 hobbies so when you can't fly you have something. Rolling Eyes
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:00 am

Ok, looking for a little advice here.  I managed to get myself some nice digital scales today, mainly for weighing ebay packages but also aircraft.  No updated pictures yet, but my Cadet is almost done, less engine, bellcrank, lead-outs and pushrod. (Plus a little decorating if I choose to).  Huh...
My question is, it weighs in at 3.7 oz (103 grams) in its current form. (No engine).  How does this weight stack up?  It's 19" span with tip weight and a good thick coat of Rutoleum.  Add the weight of a Golden Bee, (or maybe Babe Bee), will this thing be too heavy or is that about right?

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:25 am

Bump!!

Any thoughts?  What?
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:26 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Ok, looking for a little advice here.  I managed to get myself some nice digital scales today, mainly for weighing ebay packages but also aircraft.  No updated pictures yet, but my Cadet is almost done, less engine, bellcrank, lead-outs and pushrod. (Plus a little decorating if I choose to).  Huh...
My question is, it weighs in at 3.7 oz (103 grams) in its current form. (No engine).  How does this weight stack up?  It's 19" span with tip weight and a good thick coat of Rutoleum.  Add the weight of a Golden Bee, (or maybe Babe Bee), will this thing be too heavy or is that about right?

Rod.
Well the golden bee runs around 1.5 oz in weight and with the flight hardware included with the weight (need to weight the hardware and add that to the current weight to be sure) I think you should top off around 5.2 oz give or take so you should be ok weight wise. I know what the cadet is but I'm not familiar with its dimensions and performance so maybe someone else can give extra input. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2