Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Top Flite Nobler Cox_ba12

Top Flite Nobler Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Top Flite Nobler Empty
Live on Patrol

Top Flite Nobler

Go down

Top Flite Nobler Empty Top Flite Nobler

Post  ian1954 Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Top Flite Nobler Nobler12

This piece of antiquity arrived on my doorstep this morning. It looks to be a very nice kit.

I did find the engine size range a little confusing .19 to .35. that is quite a variation in power.

Then I opened the box and saw this included in the plans.

Top Flite Nobler Nobler11

It appears that the bigger the engine - the heavier you have to build the plane.

Is anyone familiar with this model and have any hints or tips? Remember that this is an American kit and quite a rarity in the UK.

Chicago base Top Flite model kits would not have been widely available - we were brought up with Keil Kraft, Veron and Frog balsa kits.

Thank you in anticipation.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Top Flite Nobler Empty Re: Top Flite Nobler

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:43 pm

Have never built the TF Nobler, although I had when I was younger admired it. Now that I have had a chance to download Keil Kraft, Veron and Frog plans, you folks across the pond have had some really nice kits that I never had a chance to see before. Regarding weight I'm wondering if that had to do more with in order to have adequate stunt performance on same set of lines, with less power one had to build lighter. Thus someone had to make some sacrifices to the finish.

Back 40 years ago, the RC planes were like that, particularly the 1/2-A's. With less power, one had to make sure they didn't build it heavy, otherwise performance would suffer. Using a plastic covering or painted finish were sometimes not a good choice. Thus, planes would be finished in clear dope with color trim, wings covered in clear doped silk, etc.

Just my thoughts on the matter and I imagine that others might have better input being more intimate with the CL build / fly process.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:44 pm

That is a wide range of power. I wonder if the instructions give you some ways to target the weight as you go, or if you choose your engine after you weigh the finished airframe. With an older kit like this, it should be easy to replace a lot of the wood with lighter balsa.

The Nobler still flies with the best stunters. I hope you'll document the build, since I wimped out on my Oriental plans and bought an ARF. I'd like to see what goes into building a full fuselage by someone other than all of the world champions Rolling Eyes at Stunthangar... not to suggest you're not extraordinary also.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:44 pm

The green box Nobler is a sought after kit. If you can copy the parts do that instead of building it.

I'd go with a .40 on it these days. The box said it is the winningest model ever designed and at the time it was. Totally changed the face CL back in '52.

Like Rusty said it's still competitive today.

I would buy one, but the design does not appeal to me. I have crashed one. Ask Doug!

Edit: one last thing....that scale is telling you what your target weight should be for that particular engine. So if using say a Fox .35 don't go over 53oz or it won't fly well. When built the model should fall within that min/max range for that particular engine.

I can tell you right now though 53oz is a lot for a Fox .35! Build it light as possible and use a .40 or an electric equivalent.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:47 pm

That's a very nice kit Ian!! I have an un-built Top-Flite "Gieseke" Nobler kit. I don't know if there's any difference between the two.

Here's a few control-line engine weight/price comparisons.  

Fox .35 weight w/muffler=7.0 ounces-price $69.00 (Tower Hobbies)
Brodak .25 weight w/muffler=7.2 ounces-price $109.00
Brodak .40 weight w/muffler=8.5 ounces-price $109.00 (out of stock)
O.S. .25 LA-S ABN weight w/muffler=7.93 ounces  price $79.98 (Tower Hobbies)
O.S. .40 LA-S ABN weight w/muffler=12.28 ounces price (?? no longer available from O.S.)
O.S. .46 LA-S ABN weight w/muffler=12.08 ounces  price $84.98 (Tower Hobbies)

Oddly.. My Fox .29 Stunt weighs more than my Fox .35 Stunt (probably more weight in the .29's cyl. liner.. both engines share the same case)
my Fox .29= 6.6 ounces
my Fox .35= 6.35 ounces
(neither have mufflers)

Here's some info. on my Nobler kit (circa 1978)

Top Flite Nobler Giesek10
Top Flite Nobler Giesek11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:38 pm

Hea Doug did Ron CRASH one of those  lol! lol! .... My thought on the subject would be not knowing what wood may have went into kits being sold the weight will mater when building ? say spruce, bass , balsa denseness ?? my Two Cents  of coarse I am sure depends on how you intended on flying it . bounce 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Roddie,

That too is a nice kit. I do know the airfoil is thicker than than the Aldrich version and there are styling differences as well.

You are correct. Your .29 is heavier as less material was removed from the liner than the .35
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:57 pm

Thank you all for the input. It was really the minimum weight that perplexed me - I could see that the bigger the engine then the heavier the plane would be but as Ron said - 53 oz seems heavy for a Fox 35.

As you may guess - selecting an engine isn't a problem for me and, if I were to go I.C. then I would have difficulty straying away from fitting a diesel. I.C. may be an option as I have discovered a club near where I visit when I go to the North of England - they can fly I.C. but a lot depends on the noise regulations and the degree of silencing.

Unfortunately my visits haven't given me enough time to visit the flying club although it is only a couple of miles from where I stay.

I also still have to get back into control line. Weather has not permitted me to smash the Wizard yet. I have another vintage (British) 1/2 A kit for Cl and a  vintage (British) kit for a .15. These are both repros and they were more expensive than the Nobler. They will definitely be electrickeried!

I will progress upwards in size but like to be prepared and ready. I did the same with motor cycles - began on 50cc and now have a 1200cc.

I know people collect vintage kits and don't build them but are pure collectors. Everyone has their own fetish, hobby, trait but when I see a box of parts or materials - I want to build it!

The only plane I have built more than once is the Dominator combat flying wing. They took some breaking but I managed it a few times!

It will be a while before I build this one - my next CL build will be the 1/2 A repro ready to replace the Wizard. I still have to finish my "mystery" RC biplane - I got sidetracked with a few other projects (Miss Tally Biplane (finished), the foam board Bloody Wonder (finished), a couple of engine builds one 75% and the other 50% finished.

The weather here has been against flying - rain and wind! It is frustrating. I flew for the first time in months on Saturday but the ground was so muddy it was slippy and unpleasant. Landings ( that appeared perfectly lined up) in the very soft, sloppy ground took its toll on the plane.

Anyway, enough blabbering, when I do build it I will document it.

Thanks again

Ian
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down