Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Cox_ba12

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Empty
Live on Patrol

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler

Go down

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Empty The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler

Post  ian1954 Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:51 pm

The "Nobler" stunt model aeroplane was designed by George Aldrich and he developed the modern stunt pattern. The Nobler was ahead of its time - the design was unique and incorporated the use of flaps working in conjunction with the elevator. This increased the manoeuvrablity for the time and now, flapped stunt models are a common sight in competitions.

Contrary to some opinions I think that the Nobler is a good looking model and is referred back to as the starting point for newer designs.

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Nobler10

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Nobler11

The Nobler was further developed and produced as the Gieseke Nobler by a man that took the design to higher levels and then to the world competitions.

This has also been kitted.

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Gnoble10

The Green Box Nobler, the most popular airplane kit in history transformed the sport into a serious concern and upped the playing field.

George Aldrich designed Nobler Control Line Stunt Model in 1950, which was kitted by Top Flight models in 1957.

He was also responsible for the following designs

1. Flight Streak
2. Flight Streak Jr.
3. Baby Flight Streak
4. Combat Streak
5. Flight Streak Trainer
6. Flight Streak Peace Maker

The Nobler Control Line Stunt design was the most produced kit to win more contests in Control Line stunt than any other was. Many contestants In Juniors, Seniors, and Open used the Nobler design to place in national, regional, and local contests.

The kit was still being produced until recently but now, like so many, has been replaced by a pre built ARTF version. None the less, it is still in production some 57 years on.

Now despite the fact that George Aldrich designed perhaps the most famous stunt model, I was perplexed to discover that his other kitted designs were those slabby side things.

Now a few people (not that I would name any!) form the opinion that they do not like the look of the Nobler. Heresy! Bring on the inquisition.

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Si10

What is worse is that slab sided versions of it have appeared!

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Profil10

How could you do that to a design - even if you were electrifying it!

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Profil11

and then

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler 12anob10

Oh dear, how sad, well never mind!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Empty Re: The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

I think the majority of people like the Nobler's styling, I am torn as it doesn't overly appeal to me, but I can't deny that it flys well. I would modify it if I owned one.

Truth be told I don't like the Flite Streak or the Baby version either. Something about the styling turns me off. I do own both though  lol! 

I respect the fact that others like it and they are excellent flyers.

The good thing about this hobby is the vast amount of designs. We have choices.

The profile versions are not my thing either.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Empty Re: The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:51 pm

Bob Gieseke designed the turtle backed version of the Nobler. He was mostly noted for his trademark smoking a pipe while flying. I have the blue box version that Top Flite produced. It's been on the shelf for years. One of the days I will get around to building it. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Uh oh, we've been called out. I'm the one who first admitted, "I just don't feel the love when looking at a Nobler." I'm sorry. I wasn't dissin' it, it's just not on my love list for beautiful lines. As are the bird-like Flite Streak, but Ron doesn't consider it a beauty(it does have stupid looking LG) Lol, and more recently the Primary Force(aack another pukey profile), the Cardinal, and the Oriental. But dang, I could fill a page. I fall in love with planes like a teenage boy does with girls.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Okay, Ian.  You've convinced me.  I was wrong.  I'll build a Nobler.  I downloaded the plans for this one:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2354

Very Happy 

The Changed Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:50 pm

Ken Cook wrote:              Bob Gieseke designed the turtle backed version of the Nobler. He was mostly noted for his trademark smoking a pipe while flying. I have the blue box version that Top Flite produced. It's been on the shelf for years. One of the days I will get around to building it. Ken

The Gieseke looks a lot better in my opinion.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:15 am

batjac wrote:Okay, Ian.  You've convinced me.  I was wrong.  I'll build a Nobler.  I downloaded the plans for this one:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2354

Very Happy 

The Changed Mark

A very sneaky post. Was this to see if I paid attention?

Britain had a very unsubtle way of dealing with insurgency.

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Hdq10

•In Britain an extreme punishment was by by hanging  on the end of a rope.
•This was slow and painful. The offender could hang for some time before they died. If they were lucky, the fall would break their neck immediately.
•Very bad offenders were often hung, drawn and quartered.
•First they were hung and cut down while still alive. Argh!
•Then they were put on a 'rack'. Their feet were tied to one end and hands to the other and they were stretched or drawn out. Ow!
•They would then be cut open while still alive. Usually, all their insides would be taken out and burnt before their eyes. This would kill them. Ooo!
•Lastly, their dead body was cut up into four quarters. Usually, each part was taken to a different part of the country and displayed as a warning to others.
•Yuck!

Not that I would ever suggest this for a heretical act.

However, I would suggest a revisit to Outerzone  for the real deals

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Nobler12

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Ganobl10

And for those considering modifications.

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Gronda10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:11 am

The modified version looks a lot better ,Mark you could scale it down , Heck we know you have at least one balsa tree in your back yard  lol! Huh...
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:22 am

getback wrote:The modified version looks a lot better ,

That's right. It is the AMA SPECIAL, made by Belgian Louis Grondal around 1960, also known as the GRONDAL NOBLER. If I'm not mistaken, He became world champion stunt with this plane in 1962.

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Gronda10

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Gronda11

The Grondal Nobler was kitted later by ROBBE and named the MAXIMUS.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Actually, right now I’m working on another Aldrich design.  I have a Flite Streak ARF that I bought last year and put some flights on.   Unfortunately, I broke it when the engine quit at the top of a loop.  I bought the kit, but cut a fuselage out of solid balsa as some people on Stunt Hanger suggested.  In the crash, the nose broke just aft of the wing leading edge.  I could have just glued it back on with some reinforcements, but I’m going to go in a different direction.  I’m not sure what that direction is, but I’m going there.  I removed the engine components from the nose stub, and I cut the wing out of the fuse and removed the tail surfaces last night.

My choices of action are:
1) Just glue the ARF wing and tail surfaces into the original ARF fuselage and fly it stock.
2) Make a new fuse out of ½” balsa and make the nose one inch longer and the tail two inches longer.
3) Use the ARF fuselage and do the Doodle Streak mods.
4) Make a new solid balsa fuse and do the Doodle Streak mods.
5) Use the original wing and tail surfaces, but build a Super Combat Streak fuselage.
6) Same as 5) above, but do the Doodle Streak mods to the Super Combat Streak fuse.
7) Modify the stock ARF fuse for electric and use a spare motor and speed controller I have.
8 ) Make a new Doodle Streak fuse out of ½” balsa and build in a battery box ahead of the wing to electrify it.
9) Build up a Super Electro-Streak fuselage and mount the battery and electronics inside.
10) And lastly, I could just stomp on it and curse the darn thing like some other people on Stunt Hanger suggest be done with Flite Streak ARFs.

The Aimless Mark

Oh, BTW Ian.  Being ex-Navy, my favorite punishment is keel hauling, hanging by the yardarm and then quartering.  As an interesting note, as of when I got out of the Navy, keel hauling was still a possible punishment per the Navy regs. I looked it up one day.
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:26 pm

Mark if I may make a suggestion. For the most fun and least fiddling with no blood, sweat and tears, just glue the dang thing back together and fly it. Don't put lipstick on a pig. Your incredible innovative skills can be put to much better use with a more deserving project.

Just my $.02
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:38 pm

I couldn't agree more....

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:45 am

RknRusty wrote:Mark if I may make a suggestion. For the most fun and least fiddling with no blood, sweat and tears, just glue the dang thing back together and fly it. Don't put lipstick on a pig. Your incredible innovative skills can be put to much better use with a more deserving project.

Just my $.02
Rusty

Too late.  I already pulled everything apart and cleaned all the glue off of the wing and tail surfaces.  So I guess that makes your vote to use the original fuse that's sitting in a box and make it stock again?  That's about a three hour finish.  The only thing is that I don't have an engine for it.  I don't want to put the Fox 35 back on it, as I agree with others over on Stunt Hanger that the Fox isn't a great choice for the profile ARF.  I was thinking the Super Combat version if I was going to re-use the Fox .35 engine so I could have an upright engine install and a little better vibration mounting.  I don't have a modern .25 on hand that would be the best choice for the profile nose, and I don't want to buy a new O.S. LA .25 for it.  I'd rather use what I have on hand and save a little money.  I have loads of balsa in the closet.

And, I'm kinda curious to do an electric.  I have a Hacker A30-8XL motor and speed controller from an old helicopter project about three years ago.  This just happens to be the motor that RSM sells for their .35-.40 equivalent.  I have a KR timer/governor and a couple of 3S 3300 batteries from electric helicopters, so essentially I have all the components on hand that RSM would sell in their .35 electric package.  I just need to buy a prop.

Don't get me wrong, I value your and Ron's opinion.  And I'd probably do as you suggest if I had a suitable motor.  But, for once, economics dictates that I build a whole new fuselage rather than using the fuselage I have ready to go.  Of course, I could change my mind again after sleeping on it, too.  It'd be so easy to just throw it in the ARF fuse...    Huh...    That's why I keep cycling through the 10 choices.  It depends on the mood I'm in at the time.  Well, nine choices.  I'd never really stomp on a plane.

Besides, what's wrong with a little lipstick?  Pigs need self-esteem, too!

The Esteemed Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:25 am

The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Palin_10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:51 am

Mark,

Sent you a PM
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:19 pm

ian1954 wrote:The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Palin_10

Argh... Eeew, I told ya not to do that!
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RK Flyer Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:15 pm

ian1954 wrote:The very emminent and beyond reproach Nobler Palin_10

NN000000000000000!     Say it isn't true!!!
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down