Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CTRL-ALT-DEL alive and well in Redmondville Cox_ba12

CTRL-ALT-DEL alive and well in Redmondville Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by getback Today at 7:35 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by getback Today at 7:00 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 6:52 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 1:48 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Fri May 10, 2024 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Fri May 10, 2024 2:03 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CTRL-ALT-DEL alive and well in Redmondville Empty
Live on Patrol

CTRL-ALT-DEL alive and well in Redmondville

Go down

CTRL-ALT-DEL alive and well in Redmondville Empty CTRL-ALT-DEL alive and well in Redmondville

Post  crankbndr Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:30 pm

After 6 years of running PCs I switched to Mac about 8 years ago out of frustration, been digitally happy ever since. Along comes my wifes boss and says back to college for You even though she's only a few years from retirement. Its an online school that is totally geared to Windows and she struggled to navigate the schools site with our Mac books. Sooo its of to buy my first PC in 8 years.
Came home with a laptop running Windows 8.1, well at least they have a Desktop page and Start menu now. After about 10 hours of set up and downloads (to make the PC work I had to buy Office, that will be another 140$ thank you) it was ready for her to use. After about an hour of use I heard the dreaded words "Honneeyyyyy the computer quit working" WOW I said, what a POS!!
The Desktop page, trackpad and pointer were frozen, so I remember from the old days the "three key salute" CTRL-ALT-DEL take me to a page where I can navigate the  few options using the "arrow"
keys and the "enter' key. Well at least now I can shutdown and reboot, reboot holding F-8 key to get into recovery, safe mode you say, but NO DICE Redmond coolade breath that don't work anymore.
After some Google research I found you boot into recovery mode by restarting while holding "shift" key. After digging deep into the bowels of the OS I was able to recover to an earlier time where things ran smooth (first time that has ever worked for me). Now I have to make a recovery USB thumb drive along with a thumb drive with a current disk image on it that I can reinstall the whole system if something go down. Welcome back, Windows 8.1 is XP with a ton of lipstick on it, it was a lot of fun removing Norton and it went kicking and screaming wanting to know why it was being
removed. Running Windows Defender and firewall instead. I don't know how you guys do it I've got about 14 hours of work in this machine just to get one hour of work so far. I would feel better if I could place a big turd on Steve Ballmers head.

Last edited by crankbndr on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

CTRL-ALT-DEL alive and well in Redmondville Empty Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL alive and well in Redmondville

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:19 am

Welcome back to Windows. Laughing I've never used it for that reason.  You could always load Windows on your Mac, but I guess that would defeat the purpose & potentially compromise the Mac.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

CTRL-ALT-DEL alive and well in Redmondville Empty Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL alive and well in Redmondville

Post  Waffleman Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:18 am

Thats strange, my PC is windows and its been running great for years. Mine is windows 7, windows 8 is just bad.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:39 am

Yeah, Win7 finally hit the mark for me. I upgraded from XP with a new desktop computer the October that 7 was released. I forget what year it was. I forget about rebooting for weeks at a time. I haven't had a system crash since the upgrade, but sometimes an application will crash. They don't take out the whole system though, just a matter of restarting that one program. Never sen a BSOD. I use NIS for security and an occasional scan with MBAM, run a scheduled full image backup every week with Acronis. The only thing NIS conflicts with is Outlook, I have Office 2007. So I keep the Norton anti Spam turned off. I also have some trouble with Outlooks IMAP folder synchronizing. Other than that it's smooth as ice.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:25 am

My wife bought me a laptop with the (then) brand new Windows 8 OS about 2 years ago. It's been a trouble-free machine for the most part. The frequent "automatic updates" are a PIA.. but I'm used to them. I'm not a "guru" by any means.. but my wife doesn't like Windows 8... and she's been a long-time Windows user. We are all such creatures of habit.. especially when it comes to using a computer.

For most people who buy a new computer.. I think that it's probably worth the expense of having it custom-configured by a reputable shop. They can load what you need.. and get rid of the annoying after-sell and "crap-apps" that you don't or won't ever use.

I learned on Windows.. and I was a resistant and very late learner. My EX-wife had been a Windows user from the beginning.. but I was never interested.. (not even when she bought me flight simulator software..) It wasn't until the late 1990's that I needed to understand basic operation for running a software controlled machine at work. A couple years later (2001?) I bought my 1st computer; which was a Mac "mirror door" G4 running the first generation OSX. A Mac was highly recommended by AVID, for running their Pro-Tools  music recording software. It was a combination purchase I had made with my tax return $$. One afternoon.. I went to "Comp USA".. bought the Mac (less their mondo-bucks 17" flat-screen..) and opted for a "KOGi" flat-screen that had a $100 factory rebate.. and then drove a mile down the highway to "Guitar Center".. and bought the Pro-Tools software/hardware. I should have done my homework.. but lucked-out. The Mac also came with OS9 (classic) installed.. and the Pro-Tools software wasn't compatible with OSX yet. It was weird enough; getting use to a Mac.. (single-button mouse..Shocked ) but needing to boot-up in one of two operating systems, took a lot of getting used to. "Classic" was only for music production and archiving of that specific file-type. When I bounced the files to disc.. they were converted to AIFF (high resolution) audio files that iTunes would play. I could also convert from AIFF to Mp3 in iTunes.. using a "less-squashed" 320 kbps sampling speed.. which allowed me to burn the files to CD. OSX was used for web browsing and general file storage.. as in documents, photos, mp3's etc.

The Mac died about 7 years ago.. so I later tried swapping the software to a SLOW old Windows machine running ME.. This was pointless.. and frustrating. The install went fine using the proper CD's/drivers for Windows.. but the machine didn't have the processing power. The Mac had fast dual-processors.. and was just superior to the PC for AV applications.

Currently.. my Pro-Tools software/hardware is running on Windows XP.. on a dedicated decent Dell OptiPlex PC that my wife was allowed to take, when her employer upgraded their system. I needed to purchase an install disc for XP.. which "is" the last Windows version that my hardware is compatible with. Upgrading "now" would cost me over $1000.00.. and I have no plans to do that. I'm not a professional sound engineer.. but the system does what I want it to do for my own personal needs... which is the ability to multi-track, automate, mix and master my own compositions.

For general file storage, we currently have 3 external USB drives.. for a total of 1640GB of space.. of which less than 500GB remains. (600+GB are music files) The CEF folder that's on my desktop is 1.85GB alone. I need to back it up again.

I haven't been doing much music writing/recording lately though...  because I got interested in an on-line forum that I've been obsessed with for the last year or so..  Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down