Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What's the dope on dope? Cox_ba12

What's the dope on dope? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What's the dope on dope? Empty
Live on Patrol

What's the dope on dope?

Go down

What's the dope on dope? Empty What's the dope on dope?

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:28 pm

I am to the point where I have to make a decision about how to finish a couple of airplane builds. One is sheet balsa and silkspan, the other is all balsa. I have been looking at Brodaks site:

http://brodak.com/finishing-products/dope.html

and they have the colors that I need. But what kind of paint? It naturally has to be hot fuel proof and compatible with the aero gloss sanding sealer and clear that I have already applied. I just can't find aero gloss in colors any more.

Is there something else that is better? I have been reading referances to over the counter Walmart spray stuff like Krylon etc. but that doesn't seem practical.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What's the dope on dope? Empty Re: What's the dope on dope?

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:33 pm

You could have a real problem currently. Aero Gloss is no more. It really is a very problematic paint and has been since the 1980's. At this stage experimenting is your best option. Using one brand of finish all the way to the end is the recommended procedure. I do mix and match certain butyrate products but you need to know which ones you can do that with. Aero Gloss shares no thinners between Sig, Brodak, Certified, Randolph, etc.

What I will say though is that I know many that have applied Brodak Clear over Aero Gloss colors. I feel that you may need to do a test on some scrap. Aero Gloss has changed it's formula many times through the years and it really depends on what you have. That being said, I wouldn't try it on the plane but on scrap. Harry Higley made a compatibility chart some time ago to show the reactions between certain brand paints. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Midwest makes Aero Gloss now.
http://midwestproducts.com/collections/paint
however nobody seems to carry other than clear. I have never tried ordering direct.

The thinner issue is a real problem. I recently used a blend of xylene and MEK with mixed results. One plane has coating failure, (peeling cracking, the works), the other is OK. The plane that seems OK was a blend while the failure was xylene only. There were more variables too as some of the dope was pactra aero gloss, and some on the OK plane was mixed with midwest clear.

The xylene had irregular blushing, while the xylene and MEK came out glossy and even.

So...use the right thinners if possible.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:52 am

SIG still comes in many colors and works great. I get the 1/2gal clear and 8oz in color. They also sell thinner in 1/2gal sizes. I got my local hobby shop to start carrying it and now they are building balsa.
Brenda
Brenda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:24 am

http://midwestproducts.com/collections/paint  Phil they show green , blue ,white and yellow . All I have used is the old stock aero gloss and it may not look the best but I've yet to have it come off . Never used brodak colors so I don't know what I am missing I guess, although they do have a lot of pretty colors . Eric Cold
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:22 am

It is my OPINION that most compatibility problems among different brands of Butyrate dope is caused by the speed of the thinner. If you paint a faster drying brand over a slower one, the upper paint dries while the lower one is still gassing off. The gas is trapped and can cause separation between layers.

I don't remember having problems painting over thoroughly dried Butyrate of another brand.

Brodak dope is made by Randolph's I believe. Randolph used to mix it for Brodak but I think Brodak is mixing it in-house these days. I use Brodak dope and have had good luck with it. It is noted for lots of pigment.

SIG dope is excellent also. It is available in lots of colors. I don't know who makes SIG's dope.

If I remember correctly, Brodak's dries faster. As mentioned earlier, if you stay with one brand from first coat to last, some of the compatibility problems are eliminated. Which brand you use may be determined by the color choices.

I haven't used Aero Gloss recently so I can't comment on it.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down