Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A peek at whats powering my new Bean! Cox_ba12

A peek at whats powering my new Bean! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A peek at whats powering my new Bean! Empty
Live on Patrol

A peek at whats powering my new Bean!

Go down

A peek at whats powering my new Bean! Empty A peek at whats powering my new Bean!

Post  TDbandit Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi all just wanted to give a peak at whats going in my bean, Wanted to try something a little different so I decided to give a Brodak .049MKII a try. So far looks to be a nice engine and appears to have some upgrades compared to some pics I've seen, the NV looks nice too good close fit and turns smooth. Anyway here it is, enjoy!!
A peek at whats powering my new Bean! Brodak10
(Bandit)

A peek at the exhaust side. Seems well machined.
A peek at whats powering my new Bean! Brodak11
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

A peek at whats powering my new Bean! Empty Re: A peek at whats powering my new Bean!

Post  larrys4227 Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:14 pm

I look forward to how your Bean turns out! I originally was going to go with the Brodak ... but ultimately chose a Cox with intergral tank.

Mine is still on the wall waiting on the completion of motor breakin.

A peek at whats powering my new Bean! Large
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

A peek at whats powering my new Bean! Empty Re: A peek at whats powering my new Bean!

Post  TDbandit Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:31 pm

larrys4227 wrote:I look forward to how your Bean turns out!  I originally was going to go with the Brodak ... but ultimately chose a Cox with intergral tank.

Mine is still on the wall waiting on the completion of motor breakin.

A peek at whats powering my new Bean! Large
Wow nice! looks like its gonna be a lively flier hope mine will be too!
With all the beans being built, we need to form a bean get togeather lol. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:22 pm

HEy BAndit!  Thanks for the peek. Ive never seen  Brodak 049. Looks to me like a blend of a Testor/McCoy and a AMD Big Mig all in one engine.  Cant wait to see your run video Very Happy
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:46 pm

Marleysky wrote:HEy BAndit!  Thanks for the peek. Ive never seen  Brodak 049. Looks to me like a blend of a Testor/McCoy and a AMD Big Mig all in one engine.  Cant wait to see your run video Very Happy
It's more than likely going to be broken in on the bean. Might take a while since it has a fairly serious pinch at the top. But I will get a vid of it running. Smile
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:57 am

Any idea of the engine specs performance wise, practical rpm, bhp. etc..?
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:39 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Any idea of the engine specs performance wise, practical rpm, bhp. etc..?
Ok here goes Most is from instruction sheet;
WEIGHT: 1.7 oz.
OPERATING RANGE: 12,000 rpm to 18,000 rpm.
Depends on fuel and prop size
BORE - .400 in. Stroke (.395 In.)
SHAFT: 4mm. (.157)
DISPLACEMENT: .049
PORTING TYPE: Schnurle
CYLINDER MAKEUP: AAC (Alum,Alum, Chrome)
ENGINE MAKEUP: Die cast aluminum case, Hardened alloy steel crank, Aluminum rod, standard type head with long reach Med/hot plug (No idle bar)
NUMBER OF HEAD SHIMS STOCK: 3
FUEL REQ: 10-25% Nitro with 11.5% Synthetic and 11.5 Castor
GENERAL PROP RANGE: 5x3-6x4 (Wood & Composite)

I haven't had a chance to run it as of yet but i'll let ya know as soon as i get it loosened up enough to get some numbers on it.
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:28 pm

Looks promising,

I found a sample in use with a 6x3 for a fairly good size ship required the 6P
Author left some good field data too. Note others say it takes a short reach plug.

Uploaded on Aug 12, 2008
This is a scratch built P-51 with a Brodak MK II .049 engine. This video would be of interest mostly to someone considering the MK II engine. You can hear from the video that the engine run is fairly consistent. Uniflow tank with Sig 25% nitro fuel and an APC 6x3 prop. Bench runs yielded a top RPM of 16,000 with an APC 5.7x3 prop. Certainly not a screamer, but a consistent runner.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:43 pm

1/2A Nut wrote: Note others say it takes a short reach plug.

I went and physically pulled the plug to check and it is defently a long reach plug. The earlier MKII's might have been shorts. Like i said this is my first Brodak .049 so my experience with the engine is nill *shrugs* From pics I've seen including the one on brodaks's site my engine have some changes most notably the drive washer and NVA that I can tell. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Great job by both of you guys!  Now, I gotta drive to the airport to mooch WiFi and watch the videos !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:17 am

Kim wrote:Great job by both of you guys!  Now, I gotta drive to the airport to mooch WiFi and watch the videos !
I did the initial run today (Sorry no video dad had my camera) and it was quite stubborn to start at first but once i got to heat in it, it improved. This is due to it's tight pinch towards the top of the stroke. It's gonna take some massaging but i think it's gonna be a good runner. I will get a run video of it soon! Smile (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:59 am

I've never known any Brodak engines that came with a short plug. The plug you have in there is designed my Al Kelly aka Merlin plug. He's not very specific on his temperature ranges. Brodak's early instructions suggested the use of 10% fuels initially. This engine doesn't like a lot of load. The Cox 5x3 has too much blade area and the APC 5x3 lends a lot more rpm's over it. I used the stock plug for break in and switched over. I started to make a new head for this engine to accept Nelson plugs. Nelson plugs offer more rpm's, they're less expensive, and they last much longer and can take a variety of nitro blends without changing temps and shims. Let this engine unload and it will be much happier. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks man for the info!
Yeah I noticed that, it's only had about an and ounce of fuel through it right now and still is tight but i could tell it didn't like the 6x3 cox that i had on it, didn't like to turn up at all. I'm gonna move it down to a 5x3 APC and have some on order. Also If you do make up a nelson head for this engine. I would be interested in one. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:58 pm

I achieved 22k on a APC 5x3 and Sig 35% fuel. The problem with the engine is the designers felt the need for the engine to be timid so it was designed with the beginner in mind. I was also looking into making another crank with aggressive timing. As it stand in stock form the crank is very similar to the Cox Medallion crank. I have access to a small shop in the colder months. Unfortunately, right now work has me at some lengthy hours.

The tightness your feeling is a good thing and it will lighten up slightly. You don't want that to go away. It goes away when you run it. When it cools it returns. It really isn't a good practice to flip that engine over cold or any AAC engine. I like the engine myself and I truly think it's a cool piece to use. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:31 am

There looks to be enough beef up front to put a bearing in if you have access to a machine shop.
Should help reduce heat at the intake and in turn up the rpm. Eyebrows
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:44 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:There looks to be enough beef up front to put a bearing in if you have access to a machine shop.
Should help reduce heat at the intake and in turn up the rpm. Eyebrows
That would be nice, I've got about four 1oz tanks through er now and I'm getting slightly better numbers 14,4k so far on a 5x3 rubber ducky, it's still running slightly rich as Ken stated, it does not like to be loaded too much cant wait too see it when the APC's come in. It's certainly no screamer, this engine is way over built for what it does. would be nice to have some hop-ups available. Starts easily though.
I've almost got the bean finished which BTW, I'm going to have the final pics up for the bean build tonight. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:53 pm

If you find that the APC 5x3 is too heavy or too much load you might want to try taking an APC 5.7x3 and cutting it down to 5". It will be much lighter and have a much narrower blade. Good luck with the new engine. It looks great!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:37 pm

fit90 wrote:If you find that the APC 5x3 is too heavy or too much load you might want to try taking an APC 5.7x3 and cutting it down to 5".  It will be much lighter and have a much narrower blade.  Good luck with the new engine.  It looks great!
It pulled a 5x3 rubber ducky close to 15k so I'm pretty sure the APC will do better we will see!
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down