Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

After market plug Cox_ba12

After market plug Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 8:23 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

After market plug Empty
Live on Patrol

After market plug

Go down

Help! After market plug

Post  jsesere Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Is this a Glo Bee or something else? Is there a gasket of some sort between the plug and the insert?
Joe
After market plug 00210
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: After market plug

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Yes, it's a globee.

No gasket between the insert and plug. Just the standard gasket in the cyl is all that is required

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:13 am

I have two of those, still in bags. Correct, they are Glo-Bees. I was wondering the abscence of cooling fins. Will those heads run hotter or does the large exposed plug insert compensate? Or are they meant for short run - long rest cycle only, such as free-flight or glider pods? If they tend to run hot, they'll make a good plug for winter use I suppose Cold
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:28 am

If you run this plug, one of two things are going to happen. It's either going to run like a scalded cat or it's going to sag and quit. A Glo Bee plug raises the compression considerably.These plugs depending on type can require anywhere from 4-8 head shims. I have 3 types of Glo Bee plugs. A racing version, a sport version, and one that didn't have a name but it does have a larger squish band over  the other two. Glo Bee's will put a serious amount of improvement on a TD. However, reliability is hit or miss. It either works or doesn't. A Nelson Galbreath head setup is the closest you will come in terms of performance to a Glo Bee and they're available, economical, and extremely reliable which is why they're used over all other plugs in high performance engines. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:37 am

Merlin seems to make a glow-bee style plug with a Nelson style thread/base. Has anyone tried those with the Galbreath head?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:43 am

Kris, I have used these. These are popular with the speed crowd. I believe Dubb Jett sells these directly on his site. I used them recently on a Cyclon .40 . They worked well with the exception of one problem. The speed guys use bladders. In doing so, they fill the bladder and close the needle all the way down. They use a starter box and while bump starting they being to open the needle. If the engine floods, it pretty much wipes out the plug due to squishing the bejeezus out of it. This really would happen with any plug though. I noticed the Nelson plugs take to this harsh treatment far superior. The nice feature of this plug is that a standard glow driver fits on it. The nicad glow drivers though suffer due to the lower voltage to adequately light these off. I found this to be true of Nelson plugs equally. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:08 am

Thanks, I've seen them on the Merlin site, might be time to order a few plugs then. They also have a Glow-bee style turbo-plug that seems worth trying too.

I have basically given up on the NiMh "drivers", the voltage is only high enough for a short time on an absolute fully charged battery. With the Lipo driven ones the charged-state of the battery doesn't matter...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:20 am

Surfer_kris wrote:Thanks, I've seen them on the Merlin site, might be time to order a few plugs then. They also have a Glow-bee style turbo-plug that seems worth trying too.

I have basically given up on the NiMh "drivers", the voltage is only high enough for a short time on an absolute fully charged battery. With the Lipo driven ones the charged-state of the battery doesn't matter...

I have been wanting to try a lipo driven glow igniter. What are you using?
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:57 am

The RCAT http://www.rcatsystems.com/store/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2 and works very well next to the Radio South glow drivers. Many of my club members use them. I haven't got around to purchasing one but I'm always borrowing it. My power panel won't adequately light off Nelson plugs once it begins discharging. I recognize it immediately if I don't get a one flip start. The RCAT will adjust to every plug even if flooded or cold. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:47 am

The RCAT is the probably the best one available, but I went for something a little cheaper that also mounts directly onto the glow plug (it has a smaller battery capacity though than the RCAT) see link; Dynamite RC

Here is a test I did to compare a NiMh driver to the Lipo one from Dynamite RC;

After market plug Img_1312

After market plug Img_1313

After market plug Img_1314

Last edited by Surfer_kris on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:56 am

I just ordered one of the Dynamite lipo drivers to replace my lost Nicad Dubro. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

I'd be willing to bet these would be a drop-in replacement when/if the cell goes flat -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=23320
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:04 am

I haven't check what they look like on the inside, or even if they come apart easily...

If you have good Lipo charger you can used that rather than the supplied charger. You can then do all the regular babysitting that one should do with Lipo batteries and leaving them at storage charge etc, etc.

I have had mine for about two years now, I think, without any problems. There is no gradual scale for the charged state of the battery, it is either enough or not enough. You can easily measure the voltage over the battery though and make an estimate from there.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:38 pm

I used a pair of standard D alkalines for so long that even my sub-C NiCd Dubro igniters impress me. At 1.2v they light the plug brighter than the alkys ever did. But at a contest I carry two of them in my pocket for all of the above reasons. I try not to top them off too often and discharge them with a glowbee that lives on my desk.

Before I went flying today I discharged and recharged both of them, and just out of curiosity I wanted to see how long they would light a plug. Both had been charged within the last two weeks and used for probably 10 starts each before discharging. I put them on a glow plug and used a stopwatch for 3 minute intervals so as not to cook them. The one with the replaceable battery lit brightly for 18 minutes and the one with the sealed battery lit brightly for 20 minutes.

I'm not arguing for or against them, just posting an observation in case anyone is interested. I was bored. When these get undependable, I'll look into some of the better quality ones y'all are using. I do like these though.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down