Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Olympic Rear Drum Valve engine details. Now with Video!!!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Cox Olympic Rear Drum Valve engine details. Now with Video!!!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by roddie Today at 11:07 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Olympic Rear Drum Valve engine details. Now with Video!!!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Olympic Rear Drum Valve engine details. Now with Video!!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cox Olympic Rear Drum Valve engine details. Now with Video!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Cox Olympic Rear Drum Valve engine details. Now with Video!!!!

Post  RknRusty Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:18 pm

What a great engine. Is it ever going to fly?
I'm about to crack open my first larger than .049 engine, a much less exotic, TD .09. I wonder how they compare performance-wise.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cox Olympic Rear Drum Valve engine details. Now with Video!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Cox Olympic Rear Drum Valve engine details. Now with Video!!!!

Post  Jason_WI Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:25 pm

I am not going to fly this engine. I would not want to auger in a Cox prototype engine.

Not sure how it would compare to a TD 09.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Good for you Jason. Thanks for that.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:02 pm

I ran the Olympic 15 reed valve engine today. The RPM is a lot higher probably because I did not have the valve timing set right on the rear drum valve engine.

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Now you're cooking.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddicted Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Nice working engine.

I have a question regarding the polished transfer ports of the cylinder. Does it really gives a better performance?
I have read (smattering) somewhere, that rough transfers would produce something like a lubricating film which increases the flow velocity Huh...

coxaddicted
coxaddicted
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:42 pm

coxaddicted wrote:Nice working engine.

I have a question regarding the polished transfer ports of the cylinder. Does it really gives a better performance?
I have read (smattering) somewhere, that rough transfers would produce something like a lubricating film which increases the flow velocity Huh...

I bet you'll have a hard time getting people to agree on that. If I had to trust an opinion, I would ask our performance expert, Paul Gibeault. He doesn't post in the forums a lot, but if you shoot him a PM, I bet he'll give you a good answer. I haven't re-read his mouse racing article lately but I don't think he addressed that. It's a sticky at the top of the Cox Discussions forum, and on Bernie's site too.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Mudhen wrote:
Jason, that engine is, in the immortal words of Socrates, "Da Bomb!!!"
What an incredibly steady run!
Lates...Mud

BTW - Mine has rough ports.

Mud,

When are you going to run yours? Very Happy I think I need to get my port timing set right for it to pick up some more RPM but may never run it again for fear of breaking the crank.

I don't think the polished ports are hurting performance any. The venturi intake is polished also. The rotary valve is almost razor sharp on the edge.

Jason
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:06 am

Jason. why the concern about the crank, do you think the drive pin is a weak link? Is that historically what fails on that engine?

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:20 am

Where are you going to find another one? All of the other parts with the exception of the rear drum valve and crank can be replaced with olympic reed valve parts.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 am

Excellent !!! I kept forgetting to watch this video when I was out someplace that had a WiFi connection! Great Historic Stuff !!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Just a guess, but back in this engine's time speed flyers polished things for "better transfer flow"...whether it worked was iffy.

Perhaps this engine was once in the hands of a speed flyer who "breathed" on it to make it all it could be. Now lets suppose the Tee Dee came out, or one of the other greats of the day like K&B, Supertigre, etc. took the flyer's interest and the Olympic was "retired".

In any case, you have an excellent piece of history.

For some reason I have not been able to see the video, but I've heard it. :-) I'll eventually figure out what I'm doing wrong.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Here is the information I have on this engine from the ebay listing from the seller:

"I am selling off a very extensive model airplane collection for a friend. These are items from a life time of
collecting engines. This offering is a very rare, only one of twenty made, OLYMPIC ball bearing rear drum valve
glow speed engine. This engine was custom made by Bill Atwood, and given away at the 1960 Dallas Nats. This
engine is owned by "Doc" Richard Nichol, who was a young man flying speed at the 1960 Nats. He must have
made a good impression upon Bill Atwood, because he gave this engine to Doc to use and fly. Doc said he used
it briefly, but newer and faster engines soon surpassed it. He added it to his extensive model engine collection,
and it has been there collecting dust ever since. I will leave it to the new owner to clean. A very hard engine to
find, and a must have for the Cox engine collector."

Now if I could only confirm that "Doc" Richard Nichol actually participated in the 1960 Nats and if he placed.

Jason
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox Olympic Rear Drum Valve engine details. Now with Video!!!! - Page 2 Empty Have you tried using different plastics?

Post  zeissman Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 am

Jason_WI wrote:[color=black]
This material will soften up in methanol so not too practical to use

Hey Jason,

Do you still have the mold of the prototype Olympic carb body?

Have you tried making duplicate carb bodies using different plastics?

Also, is the mold you made heat sensitive? I'm asking because you could take a new cox carb body from a Medallion, melt it at around 300 degrees F, and pour it into your mold.
zeissman
zeissman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

http://www.davebarilegalwriting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:18 pm

The mold I have is only for composites. Delrin needs to be injected molded under heat and pressure.

I might be able to 3D print one out of zytel which is a form of nylon. I just need to model it up in CAD.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Thanks again for running that up. Very cool! I tried to give you a greenie, but apparently I already did!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 am

This thread is SUCH a teaser now that the images/vids are gone... Crying or Very sad Sad Goodbye my inserted emoticons won't even show up.. Huh...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:38 am

roddie wrote:This thread is SUCH a teaser now that the images/vids are gone... Crying or Very sad Sad Goodbye my inserted emoticons won't even show up.. Huh...

No problem here, try clearing your cookies.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm

The vids are still linked but I will need to add the pics back because I wasn't going to pay the photobucket ransom.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2