Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

KRYLON PAINT TEST - Page 2 Cox_ba12

KRYLON PAINT TEST - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by MauricioB Today at 1:53 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

KRYLON PAINT TEST - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

KRYLON PAINT TEST

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thinking Re: KRYLON PAINT TEST

Post  akjgardner Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:58 am

My test stand is mounted on my work bench that has 3 coats of min wax poly on it.It has had up to 50% nitro spilled on it.I have never nad a problem with it. Very Happy
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:47 am

Poly doesn't stand up well to UV. It yellows very quickly leaving your white paint looking cream or beige color. I wish it wouldn't do that. My once blue Ringmaster is now greenish.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:30 am

andrew wrote:
dinsdale wrote:......applying the finish on what we would call a bitterly cold Winter's night (about 10 or 12°C) worked a-treat.

LOL -- what we would call a bitterly cold winter's night would be about -29C
We had 5.7 last night. Brrrrrrrrr!
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:58 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
dinsdale wrote:applying the finish on what we would call a bitterly cold Winter's night (about 10 or 12°C) worked a-treat.
While over here on the east side it gets a little colder than Perth, anything cold enough to freeze water is too cold for a human body to bear.  Don't know how you northerners do it.
Dinsdale, I'd be interested to know what brands of finishes you use.  It's all well & good for our US friends to quote Rustoleum & Krylon & Lustrecoat etc, but I've never seen any of them out here.  Some local Oz formulas would be handy.  How about Estapol?  I do have a can of Plasticoat clear but don't know how that would go.

Rod.
Rustoleum is available from Bunnings, but it's a single pack epoxy, not just an old fashioned oil based enamel.  I've thought about giving it a go, as epoxy should be impervious to just about anything.  I've considered trying some of the acrylic auto finishes as acrylic should be pretty much impervious to just about anything too.  Also Duco and Dulon.

As for PU (polyurethane) anything works.  Estapol is fine, but I've had just as much success with a Target house brand PU.  In fact, that's the stuff I'm still using, after about 6 years.  To keep it in good condition for long periods I gently trickle some turps down the inside of the can, allowing it to spread over the surface of the remaining varnish.  Then carefully seal the lid back on and place it on the shelf.  The varnish inside is that way completely sealed off from the air in the can so it won't "skin".  It'll keep it excellent, as-new condition for many years if you do that.  Like I said, the can I'm using now is 6 years old and just as good as the day I bought it.  Feast Watson, Cabots and Estapol are all members of the "more expensive" line for me.  I wouldn't be surprised if K-Mart and Supa-Cheap Autos don't have their own cheapie house brands too. I think that "polyurethane" is the operative word here.

If PU is left out in the sun for years on end I'm sure it'll yellow, but on models, which see the sun probably for an hour or two a week - at the most - I don't see a problem.  My sailing dinghies were in the sun (and Perth's summer sun is not to be trifled with) for typically 8 hours a day all weekend and often for periods during the week - anytime at all that I could get on the water.  Never ever had any problems with PU varnish yellowing.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 03, 2015 1:14 pm

I am about to use some of this paint and was wondering should I clear dope first I am going to use sanding sealer
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Well forget all that I sprayed the rustolem  (thick) busy evening was probably 75 % both and after 2 hours ran a McCoy 19 RH on 15% nitro couple times 2 Min.(( on the paint and you could not rub it off even after I glass cleaned it  KRYLON PAINT TEST - Page 2 Rust_p10  no no that's my finished stab/elev. this ...  KRYLON PAINT TEST - Page 2 Rust_p11  I rubbed it after cleaning and  KRYLON PAINT TEST - Page 2 Rust_p12
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2