Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC Cox_ba12

The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by getback Today at 9:35 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by getback Today at 9:00 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 8:52 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 3:48 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 9:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 11:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 11:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Fri May 10, 2024 9:42 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 4:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Fri May 10, 2024 4:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Fri May 10, 2024 4:03 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC Empty
Live on Patrol

The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC

Go down

The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC Empty The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC

Post  RknRusty Sat May 02, 2015 7:05 pm

Didn't blow anybody's wings off, but I got one of my objectives behind me... back to back pattern points. I flew the best pattern of my stunt life an hour before the wind came up and the contest started. Ain't that always the way. This was the Ukey. Tomorrow I fly the Oriental.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC Empty Re: The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC

Post  Cribbs74 Sat May 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Thumbs Up

And I am Jealous as crap... Stuck remodeling a bathroom in OKC.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC Empty Re: The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC

Post  pkrankow Sat May 02, 2015 7:55 pm

I went to the field at least. Packed my nutball, didn't fly anything.

I had a loaner and had to promise no glow fuel in it.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat May 02, 2015 11:03 pm

pkrankow wrote:I went to the field at least. Packed my nutball, didn't fly anything.

Phil
Phil, what's a nutball? Your next door neighbor?
And your loaner, a gasoline engine?
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat May 02, 2015 11:28 pm

RknRusty wrote:
pkrankow wrote:I went to the field at least.  Packed my nutball, didn't fly anything.

Phil
Phil, what's a nutball? Your next door neighbor?
And your loaner, a gasoline engine?
Rusty

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836389
Except mine is pink foam with some sharpy art on it.

We traded in the Tahoe, I (read: my wife) got a Silverado 4x4 on lease. It is getting dressed with nerf bars(tubular running boards), tonneau, and spray in bed liner. Just half the payment of the Tahoe!

I have an Impalla for the week. I had to promise it would not come back with permanent castor smells to it.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 03, 2015 10:18 am

I was wondering what the.... drunken  Rusty that's funning I don't care who you are , Nutball it is , Your RC too Phil ? sunny O yeah good going Rusty I usually figure what ever I do the first attempt is going to bee the Best I have Wink

Last edited by getback on Sun May 03, 2015 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add to post)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun May 03, 2015 9:13 pm

getback wrote:I was wondering what the.... drunken  Rusty that's funning I don't care who you are , Nutball it is , Your RC too Phil ? sunny  O yeah good going Rusty I usually figure what ever I do the first attempt is going to bee the Best I have Wink
Sorry, I was punch drunk after a hard days work trying to win contests... not to be trusted with humor. Or anything approaching intelligence.

RknRusty wrote:Didn't blow anybody's wings off, but I got one of my objectives behind me... back to back pattern points. I flew the best pattern of my stunt life an hour before the wind came up and the contest started. Ain't that always the way. This was the Ukey. Tomorrow I fly the Oriental.
Rusty

Here's the profile flight line.
https://youtu.be/43BEVct39bM

Here's a picture of the final Profile scoreboard on Saturday. I didn't surpass my score of last October, bur I only got the P. Points on one flight that day. I got them on both this time, so I'll take that as a win for me.
The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC Profile%20scoreboard%202015_zpslihyfd7v

If you're wondering about pattern points, it's 25 added to your final score for a flight if you complete all of the stunts and requirements in order with no bailouts.

As for the rest, I've found I can't finish writing it until tomorrow. For now, suffice to say it was a 100% success, all goals exceeded. The best contest performance I've ever had. I flew better than I have ever come close to in practice too. I'll finish later.

Well I caught a second wind and crunched a video of Wayne's winning flight. I came in second, and Brian Malin came in third.

https://youtu.be/tXmJg3mAz68

Watching Wayne fly is humbling for me. He was only close to my score because his Pathfinder sucked air in the middle of the clover. So he lost 25 pattern points and also lost the clover points.

Both of my flights are recorded. I will post another videographer's movie when I can get it. Robert, a friend of Mike Londke did a good job with his camera. He shot both from the judges position. I had to ask the judges to move 180 degrees for my #2 flight because the wind completely flipped.

My own videographer didn't quite understand how to record a flight and catch the relevant action. But I'll go ahead and upload it to temporarily fill in the gap.
Stand by as it is being processed.

Here's the score board from Sundays Intermediate CLPA event, My main event.
The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC WP_20150503_001_zpskwpedkmp

Here are the two best score sheets from each of my flights on Sunday, a 456 and a 481
The Carolina Classic, Huntersville, NC WP_20150503_003_zps1xynlgpf

Okay, here's one of my flights from a poor perspective.It will fill in until I get the better recorded flights uploaded to the tube. That depends on when Robert uploads them, soon I hope. Keep checking back as I fill in the gaps.But you can't tell much from this perspective.

https://youtu.be/YizbXPEf4Oo

All the flights I have so far. Mine is at 15:50:
https://youtu.be/Tk28YCY8-qI

Rusty

Last edited by RknRusty on Wed May 06, 2015 11:19 pm; edited 7 times in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun May 03, 2015 10:48 pm

I _BREAK_ RC. I don't actually FLY RC. I want someone else, who knows how to fly, fly this first. I am also the only CL person at the club, although several people have CL planes but fly only RC now.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun May 03, 2015 11:21 pm

Repeatable performance is a win!  Yes, it sure is.  Now, just make it a better repeatable performance going forward.

I see lots of squares in your future.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon May 04, 2015 12:49 am

More video added to my contest report in the following post:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8182-the-carolina-classic-huntersville-nc#103878

I'll delete these bumpers as soon as I get it all uploaded.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon May 04, 2015 1:26 am

Kind of stinks knowing that one of the guys you are up against is more seasoned. You already know before you even start that the best you can achieve is second place.

Wayne could probably move up to advanced... Wink

Good job out there Rusty! I look up to you.

I'll watch the other videos tomorrow.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon May 04, 2015 9:11 am

Nah, I don't look at it that way. When I shoot pool I prefer to go against a superior opponent because I always seem to turn it up another level. He hasn't ever flown a contest at Huntersville because he's always judging. He may have done Profile before. But he won beginner at Brodak and Intermediate at a wind disrupted KOI. It's true though, he is flying a very advanced pattern.

Yesterday, he made a critical mistake that an advanced competitor shouldn't make. He mistakenly measured fuel with his Ukey in mind... oops, this is the Pathfinder lol. That cost a lot of points and I smelled blood haha. I had a half hour to tease him before he put that to rest. His second flight did run a long time after the pattern and I was thinking he might go over time. I'd have gotten a kick out of that. Then Will Davis, one of the judges told him his time was 8:01. He was more worried about me ragging ant teasing him than anything. I was actually thrilled, but pretty sure Will was pulling his leg. He was. The time was about 7:50. It was fun, I was pulling for him.
But ol' Rusty is chasing him now. He won't fly Int. again. He could have competed in advanced, but I don't blame him for wanting to go through the ranks.

Dang, that's a pretty long post for me on the phone. Took me about an hour
See y'all later
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon May 04, 2015 9:44 am

Congratulations Rusty !! Very Happy  I notice Wayne flys lower in the circle than you when starting the maneuvers ,does that matter as lone as you come back in the same place ? anyway looked like some real fun either way your out competing and advancing and that is what its all about Very Happy  Happy for you bounce Thumbs Up bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon May 04, 2015 12:41 pm

Yes, Eric, it does matter a great deal. Beginners and early intermediate pilots usually make higher pullouts. Mine vary from too high to too low. 5' every time will get you the points. The rule I think is 5-7. If I tried to pull out at 5' every time, some would be -2". That will get you 0 points. My intersections drift at best(figure 8s, etc). His intersections are like an Olympic ice skater doing their compulsory 8s... at 55 mph.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon May 04, 2015 1:15 pm

In speaking with judges I have often heard that your level flight can be higher than the 5-7' as long as it's consistent.

I think with any human involvement what is acceptable varies between judges and events.

Keep in mind my only attempt at a contest ended before it even started! Blow up Mad!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Mon May 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Hey, Topeka is in a couple of weeks...You can try again, there! I should be there to compete. It would be great if you could go, too!
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon May 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi Gus, thanks for the post. I have a contest in two weeks at Triple Tree Aerodrome on the last day of the Joe Nall. I'm looking forward to that one.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 04, 2015 7:32 pm

Congrats. Rusty and Wayne! You guys ROCK! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed May 06, 2015 11:14 pm

Here are some videos. They are all strung together, so I listed the contestants and the time in the video in which their flights begin. Mike Londke's buddy, Robert was the generous videographer. He entered and flew in Basic Flight on Saturday. Working his way up to beginner.

Finally got my flight#1 from the right perspective. Later, the wind shifted, and I asked the judges to move 180 degrees, which is the perfect wind for this circle, however Robert did not move because he was concerned with the sun's position. I'm disappointed as I thought we had a good video of this flight. But he Go Pro fisheye right underneath the stunts makes my last flight look awful but it was actually pretty decent. Kind of confusing to watch the stunts like a mirror image. But here it is. Mine is at 15:50.
https://youtu.be/Tk28YCY8-qI

The pilots are as follows:

00:00  Dave Wenzel - Beg

03:05  Mike Londke - Beg flt#1

06:07  Brian Malin - Int flt#1

10.38  Wayne Robinson - Int flt#1

15:50  Rusty Knowlton - Int flt#1

20:26  Mike Londke - Beg flt#2... The Rusty award for most photogenic plane

23:16  Rusty Knowlton - Int flt#2... after the wind shifted to the good side for flying, not so much for watching

Wayne came back with a full compliment of fuel and kicked our asses in his second flight

Mike, I'm glad you weren't flying beginner when I was. Very clean work. Better basics than I do now.

Thanks for posting those flights. And thanks Robert for the camera work.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down