Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Backwards engine runs Cox_ba12

Backwards engine runs Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Today at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Today at 4:32 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:31 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Today at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Yesterday at 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Yesterday at 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Backwards engine runs Empty
Live on Patrol

Backwards engine runs

Go down

Backwards engine runs Empty Backwards engine runs

Post  Sig Skyray Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:56 am

Another newb question...

Should backwards test stand runs be aborted? The concern is the prop loosening as I see it, which happened on my first golden bee test run a few weeks back but I didn't know if it was a loose prop screw to start with.

Thanks! Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Backwards engine runs Empty Re: Backwards engine runs

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:16 am

One thing I've found is that a sloppy piston socket joint can make backward runs  happen easier. If that's not an issue, don't over prime the engine as this is another variable that causes backwards starts. Try back flipping the prop or use the hex drive spring starter and it won't happen at all . One thing to avoid and I used to do this all the time is to grab the spinner with my thumb and forefinger and stop it. This really wears the crank to case fit. Of course throwing a rag into it will do the same but it can also break the crank or prop. If you have a true stunt tank, placing fingers over the vent tubes will shut the engine down without having to change your needle setting. If your prop is tight, it shouldn't come off regardless of running direction. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:15 am

Not much to add to what Ken said, I will say that it's not the prop coming off that would concern me, but the lack of cooling.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:34 am

Sig Skyray wrote:Another newb question...

Should backwards test stand runs be aborted?  

Thanks!  Greg

IMHO, yes. Part of the cooling comes from the prop throwing air across the cooling fins. When running backwards in a moving situation like an airplane in a pusher configuration, some of the airflow is supplied by the movement...but not on a test stand.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:39 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Not much to add to what Ken said, I will say that it's not the prop coming off that would concern me, but the lack of cooling.

Ron

The prop is still moving quite a lot of air over the cylinder, so cooling is taking place.  It is less than with the prop blowing directly on the cylinder, since air is drawn in from a larger area than the prop disk, while air is blown in a nice column of the prop disk.  The prop is also not operating in the efficient direction.  I will agree cooling is much reduced, but a cowl may impact cooling even more.

If it is the first start of the day I let it run some, but not usually a full tank.  Restarts are typically much easier, and more consistent in starting forwards. So I would say yes, but not with any urgency.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:14 am

I put hex drive plates and cam-ring starters on every Cox engine I assemble. Except for the Reed Speed and Tach race engines.

If it's an engine with a dependable needle, I notice the obvious when running backwards; you have to set it richer when it fully warms up in a reverse run. I noticed that when I was running my Reed speed engine and wasn't alert enough to realize it was running the wrong way. I was already on the lines when my son gave me the cut-throat. I tried to argue so he let it go and laughed when it rolled in reverse.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:42 pm

RknRusty wrote:I put hex drive plates and cam-ring starters on  every Cox engine I assemble. Except for the Reed Speed and Tach race engines.

If it's an engine with a dependable needle, I notice the obvious when running backwards; you have to set it richer when it fully warms up in a reverse run. I noticed that when I was running my Reed speed engine and wasn't alert enough to realize it was running the wrong way. I was already on the lines when my son gave me the cut-throat. I tried to argue so he let it go and laughed when it rolled in reverse.
Rusty
On the subject of wrong way runs, I Recall a funny story from back when I was a kid, I had one of the limited edition PT-19's that were white with the air race decals on it, I flew the snot out of that plane btw anyway it had the older zero drag spring starter and you had to be careful with the launch or it would bump the prop upon release and it was off to the races chasing it as it scooted backwards. that thing would bump backwards with seemingly a puff of wind. Anyway several years later, i was around 17 and was out with a couple of my friends flying the now rather beat up PT and got brave and tried a couple of touch n go's, I pulled off the first one fine which bolstered my confidence so I tried it again and touched a little too hard and bump, tipped the prop and bounced back into the air then it quickly hit the air breaks and did this crazy tumble backwards and went tail first into the pavement and the hysterics ensued at my expense of course. Yup it popped backwards and broke quite a few plastic parts on that one how ever it was funny at the time. The engine had a lot of time on it and I'm pretty sure the ball/socket was quite loose. At that time I Didn't know of the reset tool back then. The engine still ran great though Wish I still had it so there is my little funny! Smile (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:38 am

Sig Skyray wrote:Another newb question...

Should backwards test stand runs be aborted?  The concern is the prop loosening as I see it, which happened on my first golden bee test run a few weeks back but I didn't know if it was a loose prop screw to start with.

Thanks!  Greg
i dont like it when they run backwards it stops the air flow from the prop cooling the engine so she runs hot! Hot Warm bit like a vw beetle stuck in a traffic jam Blow up Mad!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:54 am

Good info, thanks all.  Back flipping does work well for me and I do have a few brass hex drive plates, cams and springs so I'll do that.  I'd like to find a few no drag springs, I have none of those, oddly.
Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down