Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

plane size for cox .09 Cox_ba12

plane size for cox .09 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Admin Today at 5:50 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

plane size for cox .09 Empty
Live on Patrol

plane size for cox .09

Go down

plane size for cox .09 Empty plane size for cox .09

Post  coxaddict Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi CEF members,

I want to scratch build a plane suitable for simple loops and inverted flight and maybe some figure eights.  I have some Cox .09s both TDs and Medallions and want to build planes for them.  Would a wing area of about 135 square inches be too small? I have some 3/4"x 1/2" leading edge material that would make  nice thick airfoil with this size plane. Any  ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Agustin Jr.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

plane size for cox .09 Empty Re: plane size for cox .09

Post  modelbuilder49 Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:42 pm

coxaddict wrote:Hi CEF members,

I want to scratch build a plane suitable for simple loops and inverted flight and maybe some figure eights.  I have some Cox .09s both TDs and Medallions and want to build planes for them.  Would a wing area of about 135 square inches be too small? I have some 3/4"x 1/2" leading edge material that would make  nice thick airfoil with this size plane. Any  ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Agustin Jr.
Please don't be upset with me for the way this answer may read but there are oh so very, many examples to choose from that the only truth is to pick something you think is the koolest! The selection of materials from balsa wood to bass to corrugated plastic to foam also makes the suggestions nearly endless. The key lies in what materials you have available to you and what is your skill level which alone could range from not knowing which end of the knife to hold to master carpenter/craftsman on your first build.

If you're truly wanting to "scratchbuild" I suggest looking at the plans offered on Outerzone.com, sorting by engine size and start with the one you think looks the koolest. Or go to the Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon on Facebook and download these plans: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RingmasterFlyAThon/743353172355310/ then get ready to have some fun and participate in the annual Fly-a-thon!!

Jim
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

plane size for cox .09 Empty Cox 09

Post  RK Flyer Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:10 pm

The small version of the "All American" for the 09 is a great stunt flyer. The wing span is 26" & 140 sq. inch. It has the built up wing & fuse. The Plans are on Outerzone.com

RK Flyer
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:08 pm

I ended up putting a TD .09 on this to deal with the tail heavy condition and mostly to see how fast it would go. At 24" span and around 140-150 squares it flew much better than it had a right to.
plane size for cox .09 J1AezsS
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Very nice!! What size nut is that?? Wink
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:17 pm

larrys4227 wrote:Very nice!!  What size nut is that?? Wink

Big!  Not sure, it was setup like that a while ago. That's a TD .049 in the photo, the nut came of when I installed the .09. The plane was destroyed when the ballon tank I was using failed just before the top of a loop.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks for all your replies.  I was finishing up on my modified Sig Akromaster build when it hit me! I need to build some planes for my Cox .09 engines.
 My Akromaster is entirely scratch built using templates I made of 1/4" plywood for the wing ribs. The leading and trailing edges are balsa stock as is the 1/4" spars. This was one of the easiest designs for me as everything locked in place without glue allowing perfect alignment.  The wing was lengthened by 2 ribs and moved forward on the fuselage which was also lengthened 3/4" at the tail.  This was all done as suggested on this forum to help it balance  and fly better with a Fox .15 Schneurle engine.
I just didn't know where to start designing my .09 sized planes. I will definitely check out the websites mentioned.
Mahalo
Agustin Jr.
plane size for cox .09 01012plane size for cox .09 00811
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Good looking plane Agustin.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks,
By the way, the wing covering is laminating film, spray painted on the glue side. I got that tip on one of the forums can't remember which one but the gentleman who posted it did all the trial and error. Now I can have any color at my disposal, and it works with most type of paints. Prior to this I was painting the covering on the outside needing a clear coat to bring out the gloss.

Mahalo
Agustin Jr.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:34 am

Gald you asked, Agustin. I have 3 .09's without planes but not ready to scratch build yet. Looking for a kit.

Outerzone's site is http://outerzone.co.uk

Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:36 am

JPvelo wrote:I ended up putting a TD .09 on this to deal with the tail heavy condition and mostly to see how fast it would go. At 24" span and around 140-150 squares it flew much better than it had a right to.

Love the inverted gull wing design. Stealth-looking badass model! Have the plans Jim?

Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Here's another site not to many talk about but have a lot of good downloads , Free but you will have to join they also have a forum with a lot of good time people that also share there plans and ideas ..  http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/index.php  I am wanting to build this sometime in the future  http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=4299&mode=search ERic Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:41 pm

coxaddict wrote:Thanks for all your replies.  I was finishing up on my modified Sig Akromaster build when it hit me! I need to build some planes for my Cox .09 engines.
 My Akromaster is entirely scratch built using templates I made of 1/4" plywood for the wing ribs.

If you have templates for the Akromaster, why not just scale them down to a wing with a span of 25-27 inches?

The Scalable Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Sig Skyray wrote:
JPvelo wrote:I ended up putting a TD .09 on this to deal with the tail heavy condition and mostly to see how fast it would go. At 24" span and around 140-150 squares it flew much better than it had a right to.

Love the inverted gull wing design.  Stealth-looking badass model!  Have the plans Jim?

Greg

Thanks Greg!

No plans, I just scratch built from a set of F2G Super Corsair drawings. Download three views from the internet and blow them up to the size you want at a copy shop.

Here's a cheat sheet for the wing angles:
plane size for cox .09 HdduNZ6

If you like corsairs keep an eye on this thread, it should be flying on Friday.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8308-f2g-for-15-carrier

Okay, I'm done hijacking now. Sorry.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi all,
I went to the websites mentioned and downloaded several plans for outerzone to look over. Part of scratch building is using what's available, so it's a matter of what I have in materials. Jim, the Cosair is one of my favorite looking WWII planes, the P-40 and P51D Mustang being the others.
Just watched a documentary on the Cosair and its successes and drawbacks. The down swept wing allowed more ground clearance for the huge propeller driven by a 2,000HP engine. The long nose made it difficult to land on aircraft carriers. Their huge success was in the South Pacific. Thanks for sharing the drawings as I want to build one maybe for the CEF Reed Speed event.

Mahalo!

Agustin Jr,
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:05 pm

coxaddict wrote:Hi all,
I went to the websites mentioned and downloaded several plans for outerzone to look over.  Part of scratch building is using what's available, so it's a matter of what I have in materials.  Jim, the Cosair is one of my favorite looking WWII planes, the P-40 and P51D Mustang being the others.  
Just watched a documentary on the Cosair and its successes and drawbacks.  The down swept wing allowed more ground clearance for the huge propeller driven by a 2,000HP engine. The long nose made it difficult to land on aircraft carriers.  Their huge success was in the South Pacific.  Thanks for sharing the drawings as I want to build one maybe for the CEF Reed Speed  event.  

Mahalo!

Agustin Jr,
me Spitfire!!!!!!!!!!!! or hurricane!!!!!! or tempest or boulton paul defiant!!!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:15 pm

coxaddict wrote:Thanks,
By the way, the wing covering is laminating film, spray painted on the glue side. I got that tip on one of the forums can't remember which one but the gentleman who posted it did all the trial and error. Now I can have any color at my disposal, and it works with most type of paints.  Prior to this I was painting the covering on the outside needing a clear coat to bring out the gloss.

Mahalo
Agustin Jr.

Great looking bird there. I was wondering if you could please give a bit more detail on your covering with doculam painted on the inside. Mainly, what type of paint, and did you give it a couple of light coats or was it a couple heavier coats. Was it 'see-through' before applying. I have read a bit about it but have not seen much for pictures besides yours, and I think it looks great.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks a lot for those helpful graphics Jim.

Love to see the F2G for carrier you built.
Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:07 am

[/quote]

If you have templates for the Akromaster, why not just scale them down to a wing with a span of 25-27 inches?

The Scalable Mark[/quote]

That's a great idea Mark, cutting balsa ASAP! I usually cut 3 sets of ribs and I like the Akromaster wing design.

Agustin Jr.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:02 am

Great looking bird there.  I was wondering if you could please give a bit more detail on your covering with doculam painted on the inside.  Mainly, what type of paint, and did you give it a couple of light coats or was it a couple heavier coats.  Was it 'see-through' before applying.  I have read a bit about it but have not seen much for pictures besides yours, and I think it looks great.[/quote]

Thanks for your interest

Grabber Green is Dupli Color engine enamel with ceramic. The blue and orange is Krylon Fusion for plastics. The dark gray is Krylon Hammer tone. So far I've used whatever paint I have available.
I simply measure the wing panel and add four inches all around so you have something to pull on when covering to minimize wrinkles. So cut enough 'lam to make four panels and more if you plan on covering the rest of the plane. Tape the 'lam to a piece of plywood covered with newsprint. This allows you to see how much paint you're applying. I spray about 15 to 18 inches away with large circular strokes until it looks opaque. I feel the heavier pigmented paint is better because you use less paint making it lighter. I had a slight fear that the painted 'lam would not stick but it works great! Just set your sealing iron to the lowest temp that allows the panel to stick without lifting. Shrinks like regular plastic covering.
Mahalo!plane size for cox .09 00210plane size for cox .09 00410plane size for cox .09 00510
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:27 am

Forgot to mention to paint on the glue(dull) side. The film becomes clear when heated, allowing the color to stand out.
Thanks
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:48 am

How does the adhesive work once you paint over it?
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:37 pm

The fact that it works puzzled me at first. I don't know how it works but the paint must react with the glue when heated along with the film shrinking. I think Paint has some bonding agents too. I try to minimize the paint film thickness mostly for weight savings. Like any finish the surfaces must be free of dust and oil, including the film. My original intention was to find a covering that is cheap enough to use on planes that have short life expectancies like combat wings and trainers. I have started to use it on my vintage style stunters which probably will have short life expectancies. lol!

PS a 6 foot roll of Monokote costs $22.00 + tax here.

Mahalo for your interest

Agustin JR.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down