Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sunday Flight report at GAMA Cox_ba12

Sunday Flight report at GAMA Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sunday Flight report at GAMA Empty
Live on Patrol

Sunday Flight report at GAMA

Go down

Sunday Flight report at GAMA Empty Sunday Flight report at GAMA

Post  TDbandit Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi all, as promised, here is my flight report from last Sunday!
We (myself, BadBill and his son Jon) arrived at the field around 3PM and we couldn't of asked for a better day! We began setting things up soon after. During setup, I though I left my lines since I couldn't find them in my car well apparently I didn't look everywhere because I found them in my back window of the car (Yup I was a dufus lol) anyway after my line fiasco I got everything set in order and we began to set up the first flight of the day which was the maiden of Badbill's brand new pacifier fed ST .35 G20 powered Voodoo.

After some tuning, we refueled er and started it up, talk about power, upon launch the model lurched skyward and hauled butt straight up!! this was due to a somewhat bad launch and the model being way too sensitive and it proceeded to cork screw around the sky thankfully this was a short flight the landing went without a hitch though still a nice QUICK flight!

Next up was my ol Cox .15 powered Sig Buster. I fueled er up, primed er and as usule started on the first flip. With bill holding it i walked out to the center and after checking things I signaled the launch. I still can't get over how easy it is to fly! The flight lasted about 5 1/2 minutes and was smooth as glass and greased in a landing.

The buster's second flight was special for Bill's son Jon took the handle for the Very first time! He had never flown before! after a short how too in the center I fueled er then started it up (took two flips this time) and on the signal I let er go and watched Jon fly the entire tank out *5 1/2 min worth* unassisted! Of course there were a few close calls but that's expected and he recovered on his own Great flying Jon!!! There is a video of this flight. After a short pause, I flew the Buster again except for a nose over (My fault) he flight went without a hitch.

Next up was my Brodak 1/2A Wildcat powered by a TD .051 on pressure (Rusty your right, once you try a TD on a bladder you'll never go back!) This thing flat out cooks now on the Redcap. Once I got it going I went to the center, checked the controls and signaled and off she went great flight quite fast too. I think she could handle 42' lines even managed at least a partial wing over.. The next flight on the wildcat was the big test. Bill took the handle and put it through the maneuvers and it did very well. Been averaging around 4.5 to 5 min flights Unforchantly while we got a vid of it, it didn't come out well at all so were gonna have to try another time. three total flights were put on the wildcat.

Next was bills Winder with a Fox combat special. This is a unique model long narrow cord wing with a VERY short tail moment. this model flies very well and is very maneuverable. Perfect launch bill put it through the maneuvers for a near full tank run! Very smooth flight!

Bills other Voodoo which is powered by a Fox .29X was up next. As usule We set things up fueled it I started it up then needled it. then launch however about 30 sec in the flight it loaded up and quit. Replaced the plug and refueled then upon start up LOCKED!! Turned out the wrist pin had lost a clip and the pin slid into a port locking it up like a dead bolt. it was found later that the engine suffered no damage! just got to find some clips.

And finally the last flights of the day was the maiden of my Super Clown which has my 40th ann Fox .35 in it I set er up then centered the controls. Then I went and after a pre-flight I fuel it up with fox food and started er up and it settled into a semi-fat four stroke which is what I wanted since it still is a low time engine (the engine had not been airborne yet) and with bill acting as launcher I went to the center and after checking the handle and controls one final time I flagged er off and what a smooth lift off. However about 10 seconds after lift off it went very rich and I had to poke it around the circle just above a stall trying to do climbs in an attempt to get er to clear out as bit but to no avail it was brutally fat for the whole flight. it only cleared out when it ran out of fuel. Second flight was done by bill, that flight went well with a near perfect four stroke, He put it through some loops a wing over and a few other maneuvers including a horizontal eight. the flight went well and greased in for a landing after it ran out of it's liquid diet. The last flight of the day I flew the clown again and again fuel it up and I walked to the center and upon the signal off she went with a nice four stroke this time, I was like GREAT finally a good run but 30 seconds into the flight it went the other way and went into a semi-fat two stroke and proceeded to haul A** I did semi wing overs climb and glides trying to get it to fatten up a bit but nope it just wanted to run and run it did for the entire tank without a cough it was a good run though allowed me to get a better feel of the model. My landing had a lot to be desired since im still getting used to the higher glide ratio of the larger models as you will see in the video lol. The tests went well the only thing i think i need is a bit more tail weight since it is a little insensitive for my tastes and Bill agrees so next on the to do list is a 1.5 deg wedge under the engine and some tail weight. All an all this was a great day most fun I've had in a while and I hope you enjoy this report! Smile (The bandit feels accomplished)

Flight totals

Voodoo #1: (1)
Voodoo #2: (1)
Winder: (1)
1/2A wildcat: (3)
Buster: (3)
Super Clown: (3)
Total flight: (12)
Me flying my SC Final flight of the day climbs simi wing overs and such are in an attempt to get the engine to calm down but was still fun! watch my botched landing lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4svxZcHDXA

Now for Bills son Jon flying my Buster First time at the handle ever!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQUlXa7eg2M
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Sunday Flight report at GAMA Empty Re: Sunday Flight report at GAMA

Post  larrys4227 Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Nice! Nice! Nice! Thanks alot for the report and videos! Nice to see guys out just having some fun!

I have a SuperClown with an OS25-LA ... that plane has lots of flights on it! Great flier ... you'll love yours once you get the engine run in abit!!
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks !! Man looked like you guys were having some good FUN !! I see bad Bill was getting some exercising in the circle LOL Good to see you got friends to fly with that really make it more fun and easier to have help setting things up . the Buster was flying nice and level and hear you can really ream the Super Clown out once you get to doing some wing overs loops and upside down flying ... here is a diagram of stunts if you don't already have it when your ready ....  Sunday Flight report at GAMA Cl_aer10 getback sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:54 am

Love these reports especially when a new youngster has success...I be he (Jon) is hooked

Sounds like a great day. Thanks for the report!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 am

fredvon4 wrote:Love these reports especially when a new youngster has success...I be he (Jon) is hooked

He's a 29 year old youngster LOL... but yeah, he did like it Laughing He has flown RC , planes, helis, quads but never got hooked on any of it. We all had a great time. The new Voodoo wasn't as bad as TD tried to make it out, just very fast and way too sensitive. Badass motor. It will be fine next time out Cool
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:14 am

badbill wrote:
fredvon4 wrote:Love these reports especially when a new youngster has success...I be he (Jon) is hooked

He's a 29 year old youngster LOL... but yeah, he did like it Laughing  He has flown RC , planes, helis, quads but never got hooked on any of it. We all had a great time. The new Voodoo wasn't as bad as TD tried to make it out, just very fast and way too sensitive. Badass motor. It will be fine next time out Cool
Lol well from the way you were talkin' it was pretty bad. J/K
Anyway it was late and that was the first thing to come to mind on how to explain it hehe and yup very bad A** engine!
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:45 am

getback wrote:Thanks !! Man looked like you guys were having some good FUN !! I see bad Bill was getting some exercising in the circle LOL Good to see you got friends to fly with that really make it more fun and easier to have help setting things up . the Buster was flying nice and level and hear you can really ream the Super Clown out once you get to doing some wing overs loops and upside down flying ... here is a diagram of stunts if you don't already have it when your ready ....][/url] getback sunny

Actually, here you go TD-

Sunday Flight report at GAMA Beginn10
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:10 am

Man, what a day! Y'all got a lot of planes in the air. That was a long and fast flight for a first timer, hard to believe he didn't get dizzy. The best idea when backing up a new pilot is if you think it's time to take over, grab onto his left shoulder(if he's a rightie) so you can turn with him, or you'll end up playing chase and may not be able to hand off. Larger cable handles with an aluminum bar in front are easiest because you can grab the bar and fly it like that.

Glad you like the bladder fed TD. If you haven't already, bore a .140" or 9/64" drill bit through the venturi. It'll really wake it up! You can test them, if a 1/8" bit will not pass through, it has not been bored.

Thanks for the report.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:07 pm

RknRusty wrote:Man, what a day! Y'all got a lot of planes in the air. That was a long and fast flight for a first timer, hard to believe he didn't get dizzy. The best idea when backing up a new pilot is if you think it's time to take over, grab onto his left shoulder(if he's a rightie) so you can turn with him, or you'll end up playing chase and may not be able to hand off. Larger cable handles with an aluminum bar in front are easiest because you can grab the bar and fly it like that.
Rusty

I had already told him the best way to avoid dizzy- just don't leave your eyes on the plane all the time, focus on the background with the plane in view.
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Sorry Daved / Bill I posted the wrong flight pattern diagram Thanks Bad Bill for putting up the right one , Just wanted him to see / have it for when ready (I need to use it ) the beginners that is . Just trying to do a correct wing over can be a challenge when I was young I never gave it any thought just fly and have fun . Airplane Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:01 pm

Youngster is relative

Bandit at 43 and Jon at 29 are youngsters to you and I BadBill....grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:50 pm

A very common problem with the coffin back MK series Fox's was the wrist pin clips.  Finding them may be problematic at this point. Making them is much easier. Finding springs that are close in size is easiest. Clip a coil of the spring off and bend the remainder into the shape. Making certain using an eye loop that the springs diameter is seated into the groove. If needed grind the wrist pin slightly shorter to make certain it isn't too wide which won't allow the circlip to fit into the groove. Some of them looked like Fox used a axe to cut them to size. I replace them using drill rod. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:22 pm

getback wrote:Sorry Daved / Bill I posted the wrong flight pattern diagram Thanks Bad Bill for putting up the right one , Just wanted him to see / have it for when ready (I need to use it ) the beginners that is . Just trying to do a correct wing over can be a challenge when I was young I never gave it any thought just fly and have fun . Airplane   Eric  
Not a problem man thanks, I accualy have it anyway. I think the next time i'm out i'm going to start attempting loops probably with the wildcat or with the super clown since i've got an idea on what it will do. Gonna start high and do one and go from there.
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down