Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine Cox_ba12

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by MauricioB Today at 12:37 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine Empty
Live on Patrol

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine

Go down

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine Empty A Plug for Air Classics Magazine

Post  Kim Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:55 pm

Figure most of you already know about this great magazine but, if not, here's a plug for it.  I first subscribed to it back in 1977 or so (couldn't REALLY justify it, considering my finances at the time).  One of the first issues it included an interview with Pappy Boyington about his work as a technical advisor on "Baa Baa Black Sheep".

Eventually, other things took priority, and I drifted away.

I cranked up another subscription this past year and it's been great.  For myself, there are usually a lot of "Void Areas" in most magazines...with stuff that doesn't interest me, but this has been a cover-to-cover read with every issue I got.

This month's (April) is a REAL deal...featuring the FLYING restoration of an F-82 Twin Mustang!

Maybe check it out if your bookstore stocks, but I'm pretty sure that if you dropped some bucks on a subscription, you won't be disappointed.

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine Air_cl10

Last edited by Kim on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine Empty Re: A Plug for Air Classics Magazine

Post  Marleysky Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Hey, Thanks Kim for the recommendation. Sounds like a decent publication. I enjoyed reading some Avaiation related magazines, in the waiting room of the Dr’s office during my wifes knee replacement. Modern Avaition, or Aviation History, or something like that. Kept thinking to myself while paging thru the mag, Wow, what really neat stuff they have in the advertising for modern pilots, from  super aviation sunglasses, Stereo Headsets W/ microphones to iPhone-based flight planning software. All the while just thinking to myself all I need to fly is a handle , 30 feet of line and a fresh one and half volt  battery pack!  Sunglasses would be cool but I really need a hat to cover my head to prevent sunburn.   Ahh Sun....I remember what that looked like. Que the Music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1WnrjciO8c
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Marleysky wrote: All the while just thinking to myself all I need to fly is a handle , 30 feet of line and a fresh one and half volt  battery pack!  Sunglasses would be cool but I really need a hat to cover my head to prevent sunburn.   Ahh Sun....I remember what that looked like. Que the Music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1WnrjciO8c

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy AGREED!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine 1_710

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine 1_810

Aquarius is just fine, but LET THE SUN SHINE !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X5HYynP5E
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:44 am

Years ago I cut my magazine subscriptions down from many to just three.  Smithsonian Magazine, National Geographic, and Automobile magazine of which I am a charter subscriber.  

Recently Smithsonian has become so political escaping its roots it has gone from the mailbox directly to the trash, National Geographic not far behind.  Automobile solders on detailing automobiles most of which I could never afford.  A disappointing threesome.  

So, this morning I subscribed to Air Classics with the intention of reluctantly dumping The Smithsonian to compensate.   

I have in the past picked up copies of Air Classics and was never disappointed in it's contents. I kicked around in it's website and could easily go broke buying past issues.

Thanks Kim for the heads-up.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:11 am

I am just here giving out greenies , i have all i can read (look at ( now but a good modeler mag would bee great have been thinking )about the price( 75 a year is out for a mag sub. and they never offer it in one those cooking mags i get HahA the Bad news paper 7 days a week is a personal let down some those people couldn't write about how to squat with out way to much detail !! and it should bee called the death paper . Shocked Sorry just an airy morning . lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine Empty RE: A plug for Air Classics Magazine

Post  66 Malibu Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am

I love Air Classics Magazine and will pick up an issue off the news stand anytime I see some interesting features.
Years ago when I used to travel to the Washington, D.C. area, I would always stop at a hole in the wall bookshop in Old Town Alexandria, VA. It was called Land, Sea, and Air Books and I would go through hundreds of old issues of Air Classics and try to limit myself to 15 at time to buy and take home. Great stuff !!!
Now days, I stopped all mag subscriptions except Car Craft that I've read since the small books that cost 25 cents.
The only mag that I buy every issue is Backwoodsman Magazine six times a year. Although we live in the suburbs and at least 1/2 of the articles are 18 and 19 Century tech, I find that every issue I learn 8 or 9 new things I can use or enjoy. Call me crazy !!
We stopped our newspaper, the Atlanta Urinal and Constipation, twenty five years ago when we didn't need to train any puppies or line a bird cage anymore. That's all it's good for ….
FWiW
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Funny about this as I have personally picked up a couple of those magazing when at the airport for something to read while waiting and on the plane. Unfortunately, I have not bought one recently though. I like the cover with the Mustang. After seeing teh real deal there, makes me wonder how that pilot would feel. It looks just wrong with an empty cockpit next to him. I would be steady thinking 'did I forget something?'.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:15 am

Got my first copy yesterday.  Makes me wonder way I ever dropped getting it years ago.

Not a page is wasted, every airplane I have ever been interested in and then some.  Cover to cover.

Center piece that caught my attention was seven pages about the 1927 epic "Wings" winner of the first best picture Academy award in 1928.  I have seen it presented on Turner Classic Movies but bought the DVD anyway.

A Plug for Air Classics Magazine Air_cl11
A Plug for Air Classics Magazine Air_cl10
A Plug for Air Classics Magazine Air_cl12

Thanks Kim
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:55 pm

You're welcome Bob!  I just got that issue today, and locked down on the story about the Typhoons!  Monstrous airplane !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down