Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 8:23 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 Empty Re: Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy

Post  getback Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:36 am

Did it run after cleaning the points ? Hope you can find the LF hand nut U need for the SP that will help with the leaf getting up too , I got some Lefty's but not that small i don't think .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 Empty Re: Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy

Post  Admin Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:56 am

Cleaning the points brought the spark back. It ran like a champ after that, and I used it to cut the backyard. I should just go ahead and order a new set of points for it, since I'm sure it's going to happen again.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:41 pm

Wouldn't hurt to have them on standby , If there was a lot of the contact surface left then it will last awhile as long as the moisture is kept to a minimal and good seal at the cover Very Happy This Site Rocks! cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 07, 2024 3:25 pm

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 Img_1511

I just got done with the first cut of the year. I used the old 1972 model. I put some 16:1 in it, hammered the primer a number of times, and it started right up! Acted like I had only put it away last week, rather than several months ago.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 07, 2024 6:29 pm

It's sOoOo nice when you take the old mower out for the first use of the season.. and it starts right up! Do you use a "fogger" product? (Stabil makes one; sprays into the spark plug hole) I've never used one.. but wonder if they make that much of a difference. Maybe it's a good treatment for seasonal engines that are subject to corrosive environments.. such as the sea coast.. or very long-term storage.

I never drain the fuel tanks in my 4-stroke machines.. but I use a product by Starbrite.. called "Startron" in my fuel all the time. It's marketed as an "Ethanol treatment.. rather than a stabilizer.. although StarBrite claims that their Startron will keep fuel fresh for 2 years. They also claim that it will "rejuvenate" old fuel.. I never needed to test that statement.. but my engines always started after 4-6 months in storage.

This was (is) my standard 2.5 gallon 4-stroke fuel formula..

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 2_5_ga10

I no longer use the lead-substitute since retiring the 1968 Simplicity Snowbuster 724 snowthrower.

I adopted a "FREE" lawn tractor from a neighbor a few weeks ago. A Husqvarna LTH1342K... circa 2000......2..5? Has a Kohler 13HP Command engine with carburetor removed and new replacement one in a box... Popcorn

Last edited by roddie on Tue May 07, 2024 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : K is for Kohler)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue May 07, 2024 6:40 pm

I started my riding lawn mowers up mid winter to keep the gas flowing through the lines. They all started right up this Spring. Batterys are my problem. I fret about the oils I use, my son keeps telling me -Zinc, zinc, zinc. But I continue with off the shelf lubes in the 10W 40 range from Walmart. I just read a review about their house brand. Not bad.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 07, 2024 7:54 pm

roddie wrote:Do you use a "fogger" product? (Stabil makes one; sprays into the spark plug hole) I've never used one.. but wonder if they make that much of a difference. Maybe it's a good treatment for seasonal engines that are subject to corrosive environments.. such as the sea coast.. or very long-term storage.

I never drain the fuel tanks in my 4-stroke machines.. but I use a product by Starbrite.. called "Startron" in my fuel all the time. It's marketed as an "Ethanol treatment.. rather than a stabilizer.. although StarBrite claims that their Startron will keep fuel fresh for 2 years. They also claim that it will "rejuvenate" old fuel.. I never needed to test that statement.. but my engines always started after 4-6 months in storage.

I add several ounces of Sea Foam to my cans of gasoline. I don't bother to drain the gas tanks or drain the float bowls before putting the equipment away. I've actually had more problems with dried sediment from the residue that needed to be cleaned out of the carb when doing that. For my generators, I pull those out every other week (or at least once a month) throughout the year and run them for several minutes. That keeps fresh gas in the carbs.

They sell 93 octane ethanol free gas here at some stations, sold for small engines, motorcycles, recreational equipment, and classic cars, but I've been using regular 87 octane (10% ethanol) that I get from Sam's Club. I've been planning on switching over to the ethanol free for the small engines, especially for use in my old equipment such as the Lawn Boys and Snow Pup, but each time I need to fill my two 5 gallon cans, I end up on auto-pilot and manage to fill them up at Sam's Club with regular gas. I should probably enjoy the ethanol free gas before they ban it, as I suspect they will at some point.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 07, 2024 9:36 pm

Here's some info. on the Startron. It's quite the economical choice for treating fuel for small gasoline engines.
Starbrite Startron
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 8:39 am

rsv1cox wrote:I started my riding lawn mowers up mid winter to keep the gas flowing through the lines. They all started right up this Spring. Batterys are my problem. I fret about the oils I use, my son keeps telling me -Zinc, zinc, zinc. But I continue with off the shelf lubes in the 10W 40 range from Walmart. I just read a review about their house brand. Not bad.

Bob, Isn’t your mower a Cub Cadet?…. What oil did you settle on?…. Where do get filters?….Dad got a new one and I bought the old one….42”…..About 400 hrs on it, Needs a little maintenance and minor repairs but still works great…

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 E1491710
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed May 08, 2024 9:02 am

Yes, 60" cut. Got it last year at Lowes. I doubt if I have 10 hours on it yet and haven't change the oil. Filters etc. available at Lowes.

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 Cub-ca11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 9:17 am

Thanks Bob, We have a Lowes next town over, Will check next time I go Thumbs Up
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed May 08, 2024 10:41 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Yes, 60" cut.  Got it last year at Lowes.  I doubt if I have 10 hours on it yet and haven't change the oil.  Filters etc. available at Lowes.

Our control line club bought a Cub Cadet zero turn last month. It takes a grand total of six minutes to cut a circle. With three grass circles, it's a breeze to cut the grass versus when using a lawn tractor. But, the Lowe's around here don't carry Cub Cadet. Atwood's does, though they don't do a 10% military discount like Lowe's.

I actually spent about 45m minutes sitting in the different zero turn mowers out in front of the local Lowe's this afternoon. I really want one after using the club's Cub Cadet, but have a hard time justifying the price. I really want a welded deck rather than a stamped deck. I have a 1/2 acre lot to mow right now, but after I finish building my hangar there will only be 1/5 of an acre to mow. Hard to justify a $3,750 mower for such a small area. But they are so much more comfortable, maneuverable, and just plain fun compared to a garden tractor.

The Hero Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed May 08, 2024 10:52 pm

Admin wrote:Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 Img_1511

I just got done with the first cut of the year. I used the old 1972 model. I put some 16:1 in it, hammered the primer a number of times, and it started right up! Acted like I had only put it away last week, rather than several months ago.

That’s typical for a lawn boy. Mine was exactly the same.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 09, 2024 6:50 am

batjac wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Yes, 60" cut.  Got it last year at Lowes.  I doubt if I have 10 hours on it yet and haven't change the oil.  Filters etc. available at Lowes.

Our control line club bought a Cub Cadet zero turn last month.  It takes a grand total of six minutes to cut a circle.  With three grass circles, it's a breeze to cut the grass versus when using a lawn tractor.  But, the Lowe's around here don't carry Cub Cadet.  Atwood's does, though they don't do a 10% military discount like Lowe's.  

I actually spent about 45m minutes sitting in the different zero turn mowers out in front of the local Lowe's this afternoon.  I really want one after using the club's Cub Cadet, but have a hard time justifying the price.  I really want a welded deck rather than a stamped deck.  I have a 1/2 acre lot to mow right now, but after I finish building my hangar there will only be 1/5 of an acre to mow.  Hard to justify a $3,750 mower for such a small area.  But they are so much more comfortable, maneuverable, and just plain fun compared to a garden tractor.

The Hero Mark

I didn't get the military discount, they said that it did not apply to mowers and all terrain vehicles. But yes, with 5 + acres to mow, three blades, and 60" cut it is a breeze. It also cuts much more evenly than my John Deere 54" zero turn. Misjudged my time on the hour meter. It had 13 hours instead of the 10 I estimated yesterday. Got 15+ on it now.

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy - Page 3 P1017579
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3