Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Thanks Cox Forum for the Information Cox_ba12

Thanks Cox Forum for the Information Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 12:18 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Thanks Cox Forum for the Information Empty
Live on Patrol

Thanks Cox Forum for the Information

Go down

Thanks Cox Forum for the Information Empty Thanks Cox Forum for the Information

Post  Upallnight Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:10 am

Just a quick note to say what a super forum and repository for information this site is.  I have been googling around looking for cox engine info and  the searches kept bringing me back to this forum, where I also found out about https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_bees.htm, which was very helpful to.

I picked up a batch of engines for an out of town nephew, mainly because of an unused OS Max 40 in the lot that he wanted.  But with the rest were a number of vintage Cox engines as well.  That triggered flash backs as I have fond memories of my string controlled PT Trainer and Red Baron planes.  I was more fond of the PT trainer than the Red Baron, as my friends and I had a heck of a time to keep the Baron from looping up and crashing.  The PT was rock steady, though we crashed it enough times to break the firewall a few times.  That happens when 3-4 boys take turns.  I do remember getting grumpy since I had to buy a parts kit to just get a new firewall!  I think the hobby shop guy got tired of getting a hard time about that, but money was tight.

With the forum's assistance, I have taken a stab at the engine IDs.  Appreciate your grading on how I have done here!

My guesses are, top row left to right:
Pee Wee .020
Babe Bee .049
Golden Bee .049
Black Widow .049 but in silver?
Black Widow .049

Going going for a 60% pass rate here! Super forum, I have been reading a lot of threads. Thanks.

Thanks Cox Forum for the Information Cox10
Upallnight
Upallnight

Back to top Go down

Thanks Cox Forum for the Information Empty Re: Thanks Cox Forum for the Information

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 am

Pretty well spot on. Well done. The only variation is the "Silver" black widow. While it's true that there where some all silver Black Widows sold, there was also the "Silver Bee" which was used in the Spitfire. Then again, that may have only had the larger tank fitted rather than a vented stunt tank. Someone else is sure to know.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Thanks Cox Forum for the Information Empty Re: Thanks Cox Forum for the Information

Post  getback Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:50 am

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Upallnight Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:58 am

Wow, that is interesting. I never noticed the Silver Stunt in my searches. Thanks.
Upallnight
Upallnight

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:34 am

welcome to the addiction. Smile
you won't get hooked, really.

SO? what plane are ya gonna build or buy???? Smile Smile
Will you be restoring those motors??? Smile Smile

have you found Bernie & Matt?
two of our best vendors and forum sponsors

https://coxengines.ca/
http://www.exmodelengines.com/

ya older now, ya got the meansd to repair those firewalls --- you NEED a PT Smile Smile
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:45 pm

cstatman wrote:
you NEED a PT   Smile Smile

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa0ksvgfDtU

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Upallnight Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:56 pm

The PT-19, that's the one, with heroic crew surviving those crashes! @cstatman I am pretty heavy into vintage audio and have a few turntables and receivers waiting attention and rehab, so I am resisting the nostalgia urge right now. I haunt online auctions and estates keeping my eye out for interesting audio gear, and a by-product is spotting stuff for other folks to. Though, I do have a bit of a fountain pen collection as a result. I'll see if there is family/friend interest, and I do a good amount of swapping with folks. Not sure right now, and with the dead of winter on us here, these will likely go on the shelf until spring.
Upallnight
Upallnight

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:26 pm

Ah. The fountain pen addiction. Almost as bad as the Cox addiction...

The Ink-Stained Fingers Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:12 pm

Hey Upallnight, welcome to the Forum! I think you’ll fit in just fine Very Happy

Here’s a late ’60s - early ’70s Lenco I’ve been tinkering with lately:

Thanks Cox Forum for the Information 84667010

And a little tube amp, not ”old”, I built it from a kit two years ago, but a very traditional design, single ended with EL84’s.
Thanks Cox Forum for the Information 87c0bf10

About your engines, the silver one could be a Black Widow that has missed anodizing. Check if the cylinder has #1 stamped on it. If it has, it’s a Black Widow, as the #1 indicates a high performance cylinder. It’s not a Spitfire engine, because as Rod suspected, the Spitfire one has a long, but unvented fuel tank. It could be a QRC, missing a muffler, as the version installed to different Ready-to-Fly airplanes went unanodized. The separately sold QRC engines had a red fuel tank. Or maybe it’s a Golden Bee without anodizing Huh...

So it could ”bee” just about anything, or maybe someone just swapped the tank for a longer one. A fuel tank kit like that was available for people who wanted to fit a bigger tank on a Babe Bee.

But the most important thing is that it’s another Cox engine saved from the scrap Very Happy

Glad you found us.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Upallnight Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:50 pm

Nice Lenco there!  Nice build, those tube kits are tempting!

When I was looking it seemed like the silver one could be a babe with a bigger tank, or a silver widow, and it also fits the stunt as noted earlier.  I will just take it as a Silver Cox Very Happy
Upallnight
Upallnight

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down