Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

COX engine throttles Cox_ba12

COX engine throttles Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 8:23 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

COX engine throttles Empty
Live on Patrol

COX engine throttles

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

COX engine throttles Empty COX engine throttles

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:44 am

I think I will start this off with the COX TeeDee 010 since we already inadvertantly started the conversation over on the for sale off site auctions post.

I`m currently working on some throttles for the 010`s and 020`s
COX did make throttle sleeves for the 020`s and even sold peewee`s equipped from the factory with them and there used to be throttle sleeved 010 piston and cylinder sets available but supplies didn`t last long. I had purchased one of those to replace the first 2 throttled 010`s I had worked up,and although a nice set, I was un-impressed with the throttling performance of running a throttle sleeve by itself.

Throttling a 010 can be a complex challenge if you are a real stickler for a nice linear proportional throttle response with this little engine but success has been claimed and a measure achieved depending on the standards set by the individual.

I have found the use of an exhaust throttle working in unison with an intake throttle seems to be a pretty sweet combo.

I have had exhaust throttles that work pretty well but are difficult to replicate; I believe the engines themselves may be a complex variable such as exhaust port locations in comparrison to crankshaft orrientation ; for example the best running 010`s I have seem to be the engines that have the exhaust ports lined up with the crankshaft whereas the engines that have the exhaust ports lined up in oposition to the crankshaft run well but less so.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

COX engine throttles Empty Re: COX engine throttles

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Jaspur_x wrote:...I have had exhaust throttles that work pretty well but are difficult to replicate; I believe the engines themselves may be a complex variable such as exhaust port locations in comparrison to crankshaft orrientation ; for example the best running 010`s I have seem to be the engines that have the exhaust ports lined up with the crankshaft whereas the engines that have the exhaust ports lined up in oposition to the crankshaft run well but less so.
If the exhaust ports are line up opposed to the crank, then the bypass ports are front and back. I wonder if the oscillating piston rod stirs more turbulence into the charge entering the front bypass than it does to the other the other. That could possibly cause a less even distribution in the combustion chamber that doesn't happen if the bypasses are on either side of the rotating assembly.

Thinking about this reminded me(unrelated to the above comments), I used to think the crescent counterbalance was an oil slinger.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

COX engine throttles Empty RknRusty

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:47 pm

That is one possible conclusion among several other possible varriables.

I by some twist of fate got a 1 in a million COX TeeDee 010, the needle valve body was not functional /defective;and would not allow flow at all until 1/4 turn before the needle fell out,where the needle is so loose it can be wiggled to allow more or less airflow.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:07 pm

That is strange. Maybe there is some swarf left over from machining or drilling at the factory. Even so, that's a long way to turn it, maybe they stuck the wrong needle into it. I've never seen a TD .010 in real life, so I don't really know what the NV looks like.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

COX engine throttles Empty well........

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:20 pm

It is nearly identical to a COX TeeDee 051,049 or 020 but much much smaller, I need a microscope or a very large magnifying glass to see into the needle valve`s hole, that needle valve body is a great conversation piece, 1 of the most rare COX parts lol
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Hey, Jaspur, did you ever find a use for those Fine thread NVs in the red backplates? I'm looking for ideas on how to maybe make some remote NVs for my Norvels, wondering if you came up with any ideas I could use.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

COX engine throttles Empty I Sure did RknRusty

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:10 pm

I sure do have a plan for them,never got that proect rolling yet, do you need 1 of them?

I`m sure its possible to use one of the cox pieces to make a remote nv,I will have to look up an engine that uses a remote nva to see how it would transfer to go onto a norvel,I still have a few norvels but I prefer my COX and havn`t messed with the norvels in a long time.

Should simply be remove a lot of the excess plastic to make it more the size of a cox teedee nvb, and install it somewhere in the fuel line of the norvel and depending on the model you are putting the engine into you could mount the remote nva in all sorts of configurations;or simply mount it to the engine like the big boy engines with remote nva`s
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm

Jaspur_x wrote:I sure do have a plan for them,never got that proect rolling yet, do you need 1 of them?...
Nah, put 'em to good use. JPvelo gave me two valves and a needle. I can get more from Texastimers.com if I need to.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

COX engine throttles Empty ok

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:48 pm

I`m thinking of a project that rhymes with a custom peewee020 throttled of course, now what part could I add to a peewee020 that needs a fine threaded nva??? Beer Cheers
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:12 pm

I have always wondered how much the cylinder position in relation to the crank has an effect on running, mine is not perfectly square with the crank... but runs like a dream,

Here pictured is my most recent attempt at a throttle, finished it up today, will test it in the next few days.. still have to make a control horn, and tweak the fit a bit more... getting much better at cutting the halves out, the fit is very good, will see how it works, as one can see in the pic im missing the shoulder pieces... will fab those up soon. Also as one can see i flipped the needle valve over, but a little more grinding in key areas and it should fit properly Beer Cheers Im running the 020 prop slightly cut down, runs great!

COX engine throttles P1030547

COX engine throttles P1030548

COX engine throttles P1030551

Roger's original patent... http://www.google.com/patents?id=P5IQAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA6&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited by mx862 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

COX engine throttles Empty your pics

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:32 pm

I can`t get working out your pics figurd out ,I told yo I`m behind on tech. Anyway, from what I can see in your pics it looks like you are onto something, this is the first time I got a good look at the microflite pet design. If you keep at it you`ll get it figurd I`d bet.
I`m not sure where you can scource the brass sheet you`ll need,maybe check lowes, home inprovement type places, blacksmith shops, heating/plumbing shops,welding/fab shops maybe a decent old school hardware store , or your local hobby shop.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Hobby Lobby the craft store has the brass sheet. Tinplate steel salvaged from metal cans (I save olive oil and Coleman fuel cans for this) should also be suitable, if somewhat on the thick side. Stovepipe is another option, but even thicker than the cans.

The design is fairly simple and could be made in paper or card, unrolled, then traced onto the metal.

Neat idea, I might have to make one as an experiment.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:39 pm

I went ahead and re-uploaded the pics using a different hosting site.

I get K&S sheets at my local hobby shop, but they dont have a good selection, this stuff here looks to be the right thickness, i have to redo one side tomorrow, the bends were not very good, so as can be seen in the pics the slots are the same size as the exhaust port bridge, id like to have them smaller, making a new half it should be tighter.

What i do is... i copied the pic of the side piece's from the pdf. then opened it in paint, and saved it as a jpeg, then used the the page setup option when printing to minimize it, after getting it close, i cut the paper pattern and check to see if its a tight fit between, the top cooling fin and the lip on the cylinder, this can take a few attempts, i tried 25%,26%27% and settled on 28%, then print a bunch of copies at that size... sorry Jaspur a bit complicated lol!

Cut them into sections and use a glue stick or white glue to attach to brass, let dry.

then i use a tiny center punch, to very carefully punch in the middle of where the holes are going to be, be very careful, it has to be perfect, otherwise the holes on the two halves wont align properly.

I take it to my drill press and drill out the holes, 2mm on this version, but should be 1.5mm, i did not have any M1.5 bolts, so used the M2's, the bottom nuts all had to be ground down to half their size, otherwise they hit the cylinder.

Cutting and bending can be a pain in the @ss, for the top part i will score with a #11 blade, the rest cut by a very good old pair of scissors, then the paper and glue can be removed under hot water, to get perfect sharp bends, score the area before bending... once done i use jeweler files and a dremel to get the final shape

That is how i make mine... but im sure there are other methods depending on the tools one has. Airplane

I will go ahead and upload the pic for the side plates... make it easier on the technologically challenged Beer Cheers

Last edited by mx862 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:42 pm

This is the unaltered scan from the pdf...[img]COX engine throttles Afip1g[/img]
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Here are the pics of the complete construction.

COX engine throttles Microf10

COX engine throttles Microf11
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Very nice work, MX.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:03 pm

Thanks,, this is only a rough version, want to aquire some brass M1.5 bolts, washers, and nuts, to make this thing properly, but for now it will serve its purpose as a prototype.

Pictured is a new side piece and shoulder pieces ready to be carefully cut out Cool

Some advice if trying this...

Make sure you center punch the holes dead center or very close to it, use a lupe if need be, this has caused me alot of headache, so i really take my time. I use a 3mm steel rod (old rc heli mainshaft) sharpened to a point on a dremel, i find i have to resharpen it constantly as the steel is soft, otherwise it looses its precision.

Make sure the drill bit is clean before going to the next hole, pieces of brass stuck in the channel of the bit, will make larger holes.

Score the bend lines, then curve the piece over (i use an Xacto aluminum handle as it appears to be the same diameter as the cylinder) use what you have, then using flat jawed pliers bend the sides at the score lines, if done properly this makes an almost perfect piece with very little tweaking to do afterwards.

And when working with the paper templates... make sure you dont have sweaty hands as it smudges (common sense goes a long way) lol!

Just trying to help those attempting this and avoid all the little hiccups.

Roger was a good guy with a good product, but the way the product was introduced, he basically shot himself in the foot and lost alot of customers, i remember the MF thread on rcu, that was something... i got him on the phone once back in 2008, normally it was a woman answering the phone... his wife i think???
The poor guy passed away last year RIP, and only a handful of these ever made in into peoples hands.

COX engine throttles 168c585

COX engine throttles 25h37zn

mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm

mx862 wrote:
Roger was a good guy with a good product, but the way the product was introduced, he basically shot himself in the foot and lost alot of customers, i remember the MF thread on rcu, that was something.........

That was the most contentious thread I have ever read, before or since. His refusal or inability to answer any straight forward question ended up with him being labeled a charlatan or snake oil salesman. The qualities of his product, good or bad, ended up being buried in his interaction with the RCU members. Yes, he definitely shot himself in the foot.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 pm

A few years ago we sold him a quantity of 049 engines as he was planning to develop a throttle for them. After not hearing anything for a year, we had our own developped.

He seemed like a real nice guy on the phone and he had some good ideas.
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Tested the throttle today with mixed results, the engine was very touchy and finicky with it , runs fine without it, slight rmp change was noticed but not what i would call a working throttle, it was very quiet though...

was studying the patent and the handful of pics that exist of the MF throttle yesterday and noticed something that i haven't before, the two halves are made of very thin brass, twice as thin as what i used if not more, with shoulder pieces being much thicker to support the thin halves, the gap between the 2 halves appear to be quite a bit smaller than the exhaust bridge, smaller than the gap on mine.

There are 2 different versions of the throttle in the patent document, the latter being the production version, exhaust gaps vary, with the smallest on the production version.

I will order up various sheets of brass and the proper micro brass hardware.. i think this just might work, My first version of the throttle was a much simplified design, with only 2 bolts holding the halves together, that version had zero rpm change... so overall im pleased with the progress.

I have other ideas for throttle design, but will explore this one thoroughly, as believe it or not its the simplest, i dont have a lathe anymore so machining one is out.

Will keep at it Cool
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:38 pm

If you were closer I would spot you some tarnished brass shim stock. I have extra from making a few pop pop boat motors. I got some 001, and 003 inches, maybe a couple other sizes.

You know, PM me an address, I can cut a couple pieces off the rolls and put two stamps on an envelope, and we hope it gets there without wrinkles.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks For the offer Phil, i really appreciate it, but i think i will check out the local model rail road shops, i think they carry brass sheets in various thickness, probably have the hardware too, im going to be leaving for a week on work related business, but when im back i will continue with the project.

I got a plane halfway built and i need a throttled 010.

Will keep updating..

Anyone else working on a 010 throttle please post your ideas. Flying

BTW if anyone still wants to visit the old site... use the wayback machine http://archive.org/web/web.php
One good pic of the engine and throttle, the other good pic in in an rcu thread in a post by AndyW where he got the engine from Roger... which i cannot seem to find...

Arthur.
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 pm

The trip to the model train shop payed off, now i have everything i need. Cool

When i return from my trip, i will build a proper one.
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ado1974 Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 am

arthur

here is a better copy of the pic in my profile.

i have just dug out the second version, and will attempt to fit it up tomorrow....
unfortunately the only 010 i have is currently mounted in my tether car... see thread in models section.

but it need to come out for a good clean before the car is finished anyway.

COX engine throttles Imgp1510

cheers
a
ado1974
ado1974
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 am

pkrankow wrote:If you were closer I would spot you some tarnished brass shim stock. I have extra from making a few pop pop boat motors. I got some 001, and 003 inches, maybe a couple other sizes.

You know, PM me an address, I can cut a couple pieces off the rolls and put two stamps on an envelope, and we hope it gets there without wrinkles.

Phil

Hey phil
Funny how people share interests made a pop pop boat for my little girl couple of months go used tin cans etc turned out ok not a scale model more a fun one for
Lttleun she loves it next time round will do a proper one got some advice from bill Canada (on utube ) he's the man who can in pop pops or put puts however u pronounce very nice bloke very helpful
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next