Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Typical Runtime Cox_ba12

Typical Runtime Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:35 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 6:23 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 6:19 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:49 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 1:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 12:15 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 10:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 9:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 9:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 3:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 9:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Typical Runtime Empty
Live on Patrol

Typical Runtime

Go down

Typical Runtime Empty Typical Runtime

Post  JayeLK Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 pm

I recently got the bug to fire up the old Cox 049 engines I flew back in the 70's. I drug out the little guys and cleaned them up.

The Babe Bee has a #1 piston and a low compression head, the old style copper star reed.
The Golden Bee has a #2 piston (thin wall with single bypass, a high compession head; 3 washers), old style reed.

I hadn't started them since the early 80's but had tried to keep the engines limber by putting some light machine oil on them periodically over the years and turning them gently, so the engines weren't frozen.

At first inspection:
The tank backs had grown some sort of corrosion, as had all unprotected metal in the old flight box; wrenches, old control horns, metal flight cable, screws, etc. Don't know what that was. The cylinders, heads, and aluminum parts seemed immune.

I cleaned the engines by soaking in alcohol for a couple of hours, and took them apart. Scrubbed them with a tooth brush in alcohol. Most of the corrosion on the tank backs seemed to come off. Both of the fuel pick-ups had gone all hard and one even had broken inside the tank. Otherwise they seemed to be OK. The reeds looked like they had little circular grooves on them where they should seat against the tank. These engines were run hard when I was a kid. The needle on the Golden was a little bent at the external part of the tank.

I ordered some replacement fuel lines and tune up kits from EX engines, what great service. Replaced the fuel lines, both tank gaskets and reeds. I didn't replace the head gaskets as they seemed OK. I put a little light oil in them after cleaning as I had no fuel. I took a good bit of time trying to make sure they were clean and refurbished as best I could.

When I put the engines back together the Babe had good action, like I remember. When you rotate the prop with your finger when you reached Top Dead Center the prop would kick over and slap the back of your finger. There was a little bit of a compression pop as the exhaust port opened. When you stopped the rotation at TDC the compression would slowly leak out over 10-15 seconds.

The Golden had virtually no compression. You could rotate the prop and, unless you did it very fast, there was no kick-back. There was no compression when stopped at top TDC This was always the best running engine I had. Anyway, I checked the head for leaks by filling the cylinder with alcohol and slowly rotating the prop. There was no leak around the glow head, but there was all sorts of fluid leaking around the piston and out the exhaust ports. Even with the cylinder filled with liquid, there was very little resistance to rotating the prop; not a good sign.

Oh well, what did I remember? Maybe cleaning the shellac off the piston screwed up the compression. I put the guy aside and went on a hunt for fuel. After scouring all the local hobby shops, I finally got some air fuel: 15% nitro, 17% oil (50/50 castor/syn). I figured this was OK to fire the little guys, at least for a test run, especially if I kept the mixture rich.

I started with the Golden, as this was the one that I worried about most. Well, it fired up pretty fast, even with the low compression, but only ran for a minute or so. Then it wouldn't run anymore. The prime would burn, but nothing else. I pulled the engine apart and found that there was some sort of gunk that had broken free and plugged the fuel intake on the tank back, not in the hose but inside the nipple. I cleaned this with a soft piece of wire until I could run fuel through the tank-back pathways in all directions using my fueling bulb.

I could fire up the Golden OK and, when I could get it to run a full tank, it seemed to run for such a short time. I know I was purposefully running it rich because I wasn't sure of the fuel, but the run time was way short. Maybe only a 1:45 or, at best, 2 min. This seems like about half the time it used to run when I was a kid.

It was also a little cranky about maintaining a constant RPM. I would tune it to best speed, then back off to run it rich. The engine wouldn't hold the RPM, it would go rich or lean after a little time and quit. Most of the time I had to start it two or three times to run a full tank. Getting it to run a full tank was an interesting problem. I could only get it to run a full tank with constant fiddling with the needle. I remember setting this engine where it just wanted to break to best RPM and then it going best RPM during flight, screaming around the circle, combatting with my buddy.

I was thinking that better compression might fix the issue, so I ordered a new "Black Widow" type cylinder (Modified Sure Start with the exhaust ports opened, dual induction and SPI and bypass) and a piston tightening tool. This cylinder had great compression. You couldn't even rotate the prop if you filled the cylinder with fuel; no leaks around the head or past the piston. I also got some other parts just to have them, like replacement needles, glow heads, and cranks.

Anyway, I tried another run session after I got the new parts. It didn't seem to help when I tightened the push-rod, replaced the head gaskets, added or subtracted head gaskets, polished the glow seat, changed glow heads, changed the needle valve, or even when I put in the new cylinder/piston. (The new piston had really good compression and I checked it for leaks.) The engine was hard to maintain RPM and the run time, when I could get it to run a full tank, was always under 2min.

I'm beginning to think that (best scenario) there is something wrong with the fuel, or (worst case) I have damaged the tank back. If it's the fuel, I don't want to run the other engine until I correct it. If I have damaged the tank back, I'm going to be a little mad since I don't like the plastic replacements you can get now.

Anyway, what is the typical run time of an engine with an 8cc tank? Do I need new fuel, what type, and where to get it? Sig doesn't have 20% nitro and 20 pure castor and niether does Ritchesbrew. Should I try the tank back from the Babe just for test runs to see if that is any better?

Any suggestions to getting the little guy rehabilitated or is the little Golden beauty ready for its final resting place?

Thanks,

Jaye

JayeLK
JayeLK
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Typical Runtime Empty Re: Typical Runtime

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Jaye,

Did you replace the reed? I assume so if you installed an overhaul kit.

Try this:

Close the NV and plug the overflow with your finger. Take a syringe with a piece of fuel tube attached and pump the tank up with air through the fill tube. If you see any bubbles coming from the tank to crankcase gasket, backplate screws, tank to backplate seal or the venturi hole then you have an airleak which could result in a unsteady run.

Also remove the NV spring and use a small piece of fuel tubing in place of it and see if that helps as air can be drawn in around a loose needle.

If all seems good you may have some old crud in there somewhere. Compressed air will help eliminate that issue.

One last thing, make sure the reed clip is installed correctly. The tang should point away from the tank and the reed should be able to rotate 360 degrees when clipped in place.

Ron

Last edited by cribbs74 on Thu May 02, 2013 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu May 02, 2013 11:17 pm

15% nitro is going to run fine, but is hard to needle (adjust) because the difference between rich and lean is very small compared to higher amounts of nitromethane (Nitro brings come of it's on oxygen to the party, so you use more)

The "fuzz" on all the zink and galvanized parts is a corrosion process. It is rather benign as long as it is all cleaned off. It might be the source of your current problems.

Cribbs might be right about air leaks, so I won't repeat.

You probably have funk in your needle valve. Take the needle out and push fuel (alcohol) through the needle seat to flush it really well. You may need to take the engine apart (again) and flush from the inside out. Then flush your reed, take the reed off carefully, and wipe the reed seat with a lint free cloth (old t-shirt?, paper towel?) Put it back together and see what happens.

The engines really need CLEAN in the needle and reed area.

I have seen little toothbrushes that look like tiny pipe cleaners that might be helpful in cleaning the needle seat area. Never tried them myself for this though.

I personally feel 17% total oil is low, and would bump it up to 20%-22% total oil (8 oz added oil per gallon). In the short term 17% oil won't hurt the motor, but it will last longer with higher oil. You can add pharmacy castor oil without worry, just estimate the change in percentage (I wrote a spreadsheet to do this for myself, there are a few calculators on the web too) (people race with much less oil than 17%, but treat the engine as disposable)

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Typical Runtime Empty RE: Typical Runtime

Post  JayeLK Thu May 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks,

I did replace the reeds and both gaskets on the tanks.

I'll check the fuel pathway again and try to make sure it is VERY clean. I didn't think about air leaks in the needle or tank/back edge seal. I'll try putting the fuel tube around the needle. Maybe it was my imagination, but I sort of thought the needle wasn't staying in the position I left it, vibrating a little around the clock, which could affect maintaining RPM. Is there a way to tighten the needle; maybe the fuel hose around it will make it less suseptible to this.

Is there a way to polish the reed seat on the tank to insure a good seal, and maybe even the glow seat on the cylinder?

I read someplace that tightening the pushrod would sometimes increase compression, but I managed to tighten it too much and broke the pushrod trying to loosen it up again. There went that old piston/cylinder.

As for the run time:

Is 2 mins typical? Shouldn't it be more on a properly running engine with a 8cc tank?

Maybe it's leaking fuel out the tank/back seal. Wonder if there is a way to seal this?

JayeLK
JayeLK
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri May 03, 2013 12:33 am

As noted, there may still be some trash blocking the needle seat. This would be my first check.

Drop the NV spring and replace it with a short piece of silicon fuel tubing --- this will hold the needle in place and will seal any air leaks that may exist around the threads.

Secondly, did you check and/or replace the venturi gasket? If the gasket is hard, cracked or dried out, it can be the source of a lot of aggravation. This could explain the short run times. Once the fuel level drops below the venturi tube, if the gasket is leaking, the engine can begin to pull air in around the venturi seat causing the engine to lean out or lose the ability to draw fuel entirely.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 03, 2013 8:35 am

Welcome to the Forum Jaye !

Here's a photo of Mark's Blue Mouse Engine with the fuel tubing/seal on the needle valve stem. A #4 washer gives the tubing a surface to press against, and totally stops the needle from rotating on its own.

Typical Runtime 210

Also, new or near-new metal backplates can be found with a little searching.

Good luck tuning up these little engines !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri May 03, 2013 9:32 am

2 minutes is a little short on 15%, should be about twice that. There are many factors involved to run time. A duration setup (Texaco) with a very large prop only gets about 7 minutes on the 8cc tank, so that is about the upper limit for run time. A 5x3 prop screaming its heart out is going through fuel much faster.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri May 03, 2013 11:56 am

Don't forget the orientation of the fuel pickup tube can shorten the static run time. Especially if set to the outboard control line position. But it does sound like a leak at either the venturi gasket(o-ring) or the crankcase gasket.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Typical Runtime Empty Small Update

Post  JayeLK Thu May 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks again everybody. I've learned much about these engines since finding this forum. It's a testament to these engines that they worked so well with the neglect I gave them when young. Seldom cleaned, put away in winter without overhaul, lubrication, or even draining the engine. Surviving crashes and mid air collisions and not even cracking a mounting hole. Bolt the thing on another plane and go back at it. Those were fun times.

Anyway, back to the rehabilitation effort.

I cleaned the engine again, made sure the needle, reed, and backplate were especially clean. Flushed the Venturi, and back plate channels with alcohol and a syringe. Of course, I replaced the gaskets, head shims, and reed before, but made sure they had not grit on them to kill the seal. I made sure all the gaskets were tight. I put a small piece of hose on the needle instead of the spring. I pressure checked for tank, tank back, tank screws, gasket, crankshaft, needle etc., for seal and leaks by filling everything with alcohol and putting pressure on the system. Everything looked clean and tight.

Started the little guy again and the tuning was much better. Once I set the needle the engine would run without changing rpm dramatically like it did before. It still surged just a little every once in awhile, but not dramatically. Maybe I have to filter the fuel?

I didn't have so much fuel blowing all over the place either during the runs.

It didn't seem to have the peak RPM I remembered, but I don't have a tach to measure it. Then again, I wanted to keep it a little rich because the low oil in my fuel, 18%.

I managed to get just over 2:30 out out it for run time, after getting it started and tuned, then hot filling the tank. I made sure I mounted the engine so the pickup hose was at the bottom of the tank to get all the fuel. This is about the run time I remember with a Babe Bee, not the Golden. Maybe when I get better fuel with a slightly higher nitro mix I'll get better runtime. Be able to lean it out a little should give better run time.

It's about time to start to really work on the Babe Bee to see how this one compares. If it runs about the same and with a proportionally shorter time because of the smaller tank, I'm pretty much sure the fuel needs optimized.

I'll update later.

Jaye
JayeLK
JayeLK
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 pm

They will probably run better the more you exercise them. If you are getting 2:30 running at full blast, that's not bad.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 09, 2013 5:36 pm

The runtime does sound better. Surging could easily be fuel related. Grab some fresh 25-30% from your favorite supplier.

Also glow heads do funny things even if the appear to be working properly. Try another one and see if that make a difference.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JayeLK Fri May 31, 2013 2:30 am

Well, I finally got some fuel, a tach, and time to do some more tests.

I had the 15%nitro/18% (50/50) lubricant, so I bought some 30% nitro, 9% castor at the local hobby store, and some castor at the pharmacy (before learning that I should buy de-gummed castor) After a little linear algebra to figure out the proportions and some playing chemist with the wife's measuring cups, I cobbled together some 20%nitro/20%lube fuel and some 25%nitro/20% lube fuel.

Sat down and ran about 10 tanks through the Golden.

Some specifics:
It's a pre 70 Golden:
Some pics:

Typical Runtime 70sgol10

Typical Runtime 70sgol11

Anybody have any idea when it was made? It's sort of interesting that the venturi opening is the same as a Babe Bee, not the larger 5/64" opening on newer Goldens. I also noticed that the tank back is well dented around the screws.

It has a #2 cylinder, a high comp head, three shims, old large head needle, a small venturi opening, and an original copper reed. It has all new gaskets. I sealed the needle with fuel tube.

I made sure the glow head seat was flat, the crankcase/tank interface was flat, all the shims were clean and flat, by polishing them w/ 800 grit on glass.

I put a 5.5x4 prop on it.

On 15% nitro/18lube I got 14500RPM and 2min 18sec
Three runs on the 20/20 averaged 14800RPM and just at 2 min 10sec, and I managed to get 15100RPM and 2:10 as max.
Three runs on the 25/20 averaged right at 14800RPM with 2:10 as the runtime, with get 1500RPM and 2:15 as max when I switched to a standard glow head.

I found it interesting that the higher nitro fuel required a "richer" needle setting to get max RPM. Maybe because of the higher castor?

I then pulled the old Babe Bee and ran 5 tanks through it. This engine was also cleaned and polished, tank back soaked and flushed w/ alcohol overnight. New gaskets, and reed and polished shims, glow seat, and crankcase back. #2 cylinder and standard original glow. Thimble Drome tank. Fuel tube sealed needle.

Used the same 5.5x4 prop.

On the 15nitro/18 fuel got 15000RPM and 1:40.
On 20nitro/20 fuel got 15200 and 1:45.
Changed to 5x3 prop and ran three tanks of 20nitro/20 fuel (ran out of 25nitro/20) with different heads

Vintage head: 16800RPM and 1:25
EX High Comp: 17000RPM and 1:36
EX Refurb standard: 16600RPM and 1:26.

In all the tests I made sure to tilt the engine to put the pickup at the bottom of the tank.

The ratio of run times also doesn't seem quite right. A 8cc tank is 60% larger than the 5cc tank, but the run times (with the same prop) averages 130sec versus 100sec, or only 30% longer. Maybe the bent up tank is leaking?

I saw a video of one of the members with a Babe Bee getting three minutes. I feel cheated ;-)

I guess the next step is to do some run tests on a "new" engine to see how they compare.

Onward and upward, and I hope the neighbors forgive the noise.
JayeLK
JayeLK
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri May 31, 2013 5:16 am

Your times don't seem too far off. This may seem like a stupid question, but where is the fuel line pickup located?

Edit: I need to learn to read better, I see you tilted the engine. My suggestion would be to orient the fuel tube to the bottom of the tank and mount the engine vertical. That way you can be sure you are getting all your fuel.

When the engine quits use a syringe and try to suck out any residual fuel through the fill tubes. Should be little to none if you have the pickup mounted correctly.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri May 31, 2013 9:19 am

Nitromethane brings some of its own oxygen so more gets crammed in with less air.

Sounds like you had some good fun. I have some measuring cups for the garage so I don't use the kitchen measuring cups.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri May 31, 2013 12:02 pm

3 minutes is longer than I ever expect of mine, but I run them like a speed demon. Maybe with a slow turning 6x3 prop, you could get 3 minutes. The 4" pitch prop you were using in some of your test runs adds enough load to limit the RPMs. And if you use the #1 cylinders, they'll use fuel faster, but with more power. And higher RPMs too, especially if you have wider venturi bores. For control line, the best performing props are 5.25x3 and 5x3. The only 4" pitch prop I've used is a 5x4 and it runs pretty well too if you like speed. Different brands of props vary widely in performance.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri May 31, 2013 3:16 pm

I have found the 6x3 tornado prop offers better thrust than the 5x3 or any other rubber ducky prop.

In rigid props, glass reinforced like Master Airscrew I only get 1 or 2 runs before I break the prop in the grass...

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Typical Runtime Empty Re:Typical Runtime

Post  JayeLK Fri May 31, 2013 8:40 pm

Ron,
One of my faults, I like to write. Stuff gets lost in the clutter. I may post my thoughts on the "Glow heads losing their glow..." thread if I can ever get it below 5000 words.

I thought the same thing to make sure the tanks were dry; all I could suck out were bubbles. Well, except the time I forgot to tip the engine, and I threw out that data.

Also, the recorded run times were hot fueled so I didn't count the time when tuning for RPM.

Phil,
Richer setting means more fuel per stroke and less O2 from air, but the nitro replaces the missing O2 AND the rich setting provides more fuel to burn and more power. I think I understand.

I was mixing such small samples I had to use the good mixing cups that had fractional milli litre markings. I soaked them well in hot water and ran them through the washer twice. They should be OK for making cookies. I don't want to replace them, the set cost as much a new high performance engine.

I see I'm going to have to get some props, too. I only have a 40 year old yellow 6x4, a new Master Air 5x3, and a 5.5x4 that was the only prop I could find in a twenty mile radius. jeez, I thought the fuel issue was complicated.

Rusty,

Minor correction, the Babe Bee has a #1 cylinder, not #2.

Both the engines have a narrow venturi bore.

Anyone know when they made the small bore golden tanks and backs?

Thanks again,

Jaye

JayeLK
JayeLK
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Typical Runtime Empty Typical Runtime

Post  FlyingClown Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:11 pm

As a new member to the forum, but certainly not to the hobby, most recently RC, I recently found myself looking back on my favorable CL days and started digging out several of my old Cox engines. Anyway, and although a bit late comming to the party on this topic, I am curious how you're making out with your engine runtimes. After going thru much off the same clean up procedures you've mentioned, with a few parts on order, one of which is a replacement reed valve, I ran initial tests that resulted in, high fuel consumption and erratice RPM. Since the ordered parts have yet to arrive and knowing the reed was the most likely culprit and also being the impatient person I am, decided to make my own reed. I have in years gone by done this successfully before, but knowing the current replacements (best too) are Mylar, I hunted up a old floopy disc, cracked it open and removed the recording media. This material (Mylar) is the exact same thickness as the current available reed replacements. Cut it to shape with a #11 blade against a hard surface, preferebly glass, and be sure when you install, any burrs generated from cutting face outward (toward the crankcase). This will result in a near perfect reed.

This morning I did a few runs with the new reed in a Babe Bee (Wildcat 25%) and averaged about 2 minutes per run with steady RPM (not tached). Also, check out Balsa Beavers Website. You and others in this forum may already be aware of this site, but if not there are excellent and detailed engine performance tips provided by Paul Gibeault's.

Good luck
FlyingClown
FlyingClown

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:38 pm

FlyingClown wrote: Also, check out Balsa Beavers Website. You and others in this forum may already be aware of this site, but if not there are excellent and detailed engine performance tips provided by Paul Gibeault's.

Good luck
The Balsa Beavers site is nice with lots of information and several C/L plan sets and Paul's tips are extremely useful. His mouse racing setup is also available on the COX International site.  However, he is a poster on this forum, so many of us are able to get advice from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

There is also a sticky thread under the COX Discussions general forum on making reeds from floppy disks.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:55 pm

To state the obvious (to most of us), run time also depends on fuel capacity.

Using the 5 cc tank on a Black Widow .049 (reedie) I can pretty well figure three minutes on the bench. In the air the same set-up runs long enough to get me starting to feel dizzy while doing manuvers. Laughing 

Haven't tried it straight and level though. Boring and a watse of perfectly good fuel.Smile Smile 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Typical Runtime Empty RE:Typical Runtima

Post  JayeLK Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:48 am

Flying Clown,

There hasn't been much experimentation since the initial burst.  I got a little frustrated because none of the local hobby shops carry much for glow plug engines and I really don't like having to do everything over the internet.  Have to go to one site to get fuel, another for models, another (or three) for parts, another for covering material, another for paint (assuming some bureaucracy will even let you buy the stuff) and the wait time is too long for my impatient soul.  Then my local cities won't let you operate anything with a motor in public areas, the local flying club sort of looked down their noses at someone talking about CL flying and fuel engines, and to top it all, my neighbors complained about the noise.  Sort of put a damper on my retaining any renewed enthusiasm.

Still, I was thinking, I did all my flying when I was a kid in Denver.   A 6x4 prop wouldn't have nearly the load that it does now I'm at sea level, so RPM could have been higher without excessive speed.  The lack of oxygen in Denver could mean the I had to lean the engines to get the proper mixture, so run times could have been longer.

Any way I look at it, a minute and a half on a Babe with hot fueling seems terrible and just over two on a Golden even worse.  I tried everything I could to make sure the engines were tight, properly sealed, and using all the fuel, but nothing seemed to make it much longer.

I did build up another engine from some parts, new and old.  An EX Killer Bee crank set, an EX Black widow cylinder, piston, and hi comp head, plus a NOS Golden Bee tank and back.  I spent several hours getting the dings out of the tank rim and getting it to seal, cut down tank screws so they would tighten, polished the reed seat and the gasket seats, but when I got it all together the crank shaft leaks fuel pretty badly (blows pretty little bubbles on the down stroke if there is any fuel around the drive plate) and the cylinder has poor compression (hold the engine by the drive plate with the cylinder horizontal and in compression stroke and gravity will take the cylinder through the compression part to TDC in about four seconds) This doesn't seem too good either, so I haven't tried to run it yet.  It looks really good, though.

I'll get back to it sometime to make some comparisons.

Jaye
JayeLK
JayeLK
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:19 am

Jaye,

I totally understand the internet thing. I avoid it at all costs. It's the shipping that gets my blood boiling.

Those run times seem fine. 1-3 minutes seems plenty long once you are spinning in a circle. Bolt them up to a plane and fly.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor troubles. I was lucky in that I talked with my neighbors before I even went down that road and told them what I was up to. I also live out a ways from the city.

You would be surprised how getting to know your neighbors makes your quirks more tolerable. It's hard to file a noise complaint when you know and talk to your neighbor frequently. Mow their lawn a couple times and have your wife bake them a pie lol! 

Seriously though, just let them know what you are trying to do and promise not to crank engines early in the AM or after dark.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:10 am

Jaye:

That of which you write has been a progressive downward spiral for the hobby.  If the market demand were there there would be a well-stocked hobby shop in every town and city but Internet sales have driven them out of business.  An oft told tale so I shant go on.

In short, get used to it or seek another hobby.  I buy on-line because it is convienient and time-saving to have items delivered to my door.  On-line vendors offer great catalogs of items that they offer that no "bricks and mortar" hobby store could afford to carry.   Why should a "brick and mortar" hobby store invest the the capital to carry goods that don't "move" quickly and at a sustainable profit?

Welcome to the realities of the modern era.  (This isn't the fifties)  Mad 

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down