Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Cox_ba12

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 8:23 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Empty
Live on Patrol

wing warp on Cosmic Wind

Go down

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Empty wing warp on Cosmic Wind

Post  roddie Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:01 pm

I noticed very slight warping along the trailing edges of my Cox Cosmic Wind models' wing... probably from years of sitting in a box with other models that hadn't been used in years and in disrepair. This airplane only flew a couple times... because it was too hard to stooge-launch from the grass where I used to fly... and was certainly no fun to land on the grass either.

I want to try flying it this weekend over pavement, with the 42 ft. regulation line-set for the speed contest... just to get myself used to turning circles again.. before I fly the Rare Bear. This model was furnished with 2 props from Cox.. which I still have. A 5 x 2 and 5 x 4.. with special molded hub to which the spinner snapped onto.

I clamped pcs. of wood along the trailing edges in hopes that this would straighten them out. Would using a heat-gun while they're clamped, help to "set" the edge back straight?

wing warp on Cosmic Wind 4-11-110

The outboard wing's leading edge looks like it dips slightly too... any thoughts on this?

wing warp on Cosmic Wind 4-11-111
wing warp on Cosmic Wind 4-11-112

Here's an older pic that shows the props/spinner and handle that came with the model when it was new. The decals were peeling.. so I removed them today.

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Cosmic19
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Empty Re: wing warp on Cosmic Wind

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:09 pm

Hey Roddie,

A heat gun may work, but I would wait for someone who has fixed this problem chime in first.

I have to ask though. Is it a good idea to get re-aquainted with CL by using a collectible plastic RTF while flying over pavement?

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Hey Roddie,

A heat gun may work, but I would wait for someone who has fixed this problem chime in first.

I have to ask though. Is it a good idea to get re-aquainted with CL by using a collectible plastic RTF while flying over pavement?

Ron

lol! well... that's only if one personally considers the model "collectible" I guess... as Rusty would say; "what could go wrong"?

I have a heat-gun (Wagner-HT1000) new, haven't ever used it. Dual heat 750/1000 degree option. I know I'd have to be real careful if I do use it. Maybe a hair dryer would be safer...  Huh... 

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Wagner10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Empty re: heatgun versus hairdryer??

Post  happydad Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:19 pm

[quote="roddie"]I noticed very slight warping along the trailing edges of my Cox Cosmic Wind models' wing... probably from years of sitting in a box with other models that hadn't been used in years and in disrepair. This airplane only flew a couple times... because it was too hard to stooge-launch from the grass where I used to fly... and was certainly no fun to land on the grass either.

I want to try flying it this weekend over pavement, with the 42 ft. regulation line-set for the speed contest... just to get myself used to turning circles again.. before I fly the Rare Bear. This model was furnished with 2 props from Cox.. which I still have. A 5 x 2 and 5 x 4.. with special molded hub to which the spinner snapped onto.

I clamped pcs. of wood along the trailing edges in hopes that this would straighten them out. Would using a heat-gun while they're clamped, help to "set" the edge back straight?

wing warp on Cosmic Wind 4-11-110

Roddie: I would go with the hair dryer on low to start with. The plastic doesn't need to melt to flow, just get warm. Also the wood pieces need to be hard and NOT flexible like the tongue depressors.  When the plastic is warm it should take the form of the flat hardwood pieces.  Two Cents 
  happydad

RC Plane Futaba Radio RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Thank you happydad... I think that's sound advice. I have some 1/4" x 2" maple stock that I could rip in half... and cut 4 pieces about 6" long. They'll be thin enough to clamp easily. I'll try the hair dryer 1st... let it cool-down for an hour or so... then check it and repeat if needed.

Thanks again!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 pm

The 4" pitch prop, it might be too fast. Then again the 2" might be too slow. If there's any breeze you sure don't want to be too slow. You'll lose control of it. Don't you have a 5x3 or a 6x3?
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Warped plastic is a BEE-ITCH, a heat gun works great...until your plastic melts without warning, I've found steam from a teapot or a hair dryer works better, safer. have cold water to dip the warm plastic in works more then anything, as it seems to "lock" the newly warmed plastic into shape. Reforming plastic is almost a art in itself.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:26 am

RknRusty wrote:The 4" pitch prop, it might be too fast. Then again the 2" might be too slow. If there's any breeze you sure don't want to be too slow. You'll lose control of it. Don't you have a 5x3 or a 6x3?
Rusty

I've got lots of props Rusty. I was planning on trying the 5 x 4.. but I do have 3-blade 5 x 3's. The gear on this airplane is very short/stubby.. and a six inch diameter prop will hit the ground on this model, as soon as the tail comes up... so that's not an option.. at least for a ROG. "Fast" is the whole idea here... so I'll have some idea of how the Rare Bear will hopefully fly.

EDIT: as you can see; putting a 6"d prop on the Cox Cosmic Wind is not an option. With both models sitting level, the Rare Bear's engine centerline is a good inch + higher than the Cosmic Wind's.

wing warp on Cosmic Wind 4-12-110
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 pm

I have a warp in my left wing creating down aileron so would be lifting the left wing and lines pushing out note there is no right rudder pre molded in. Mine is mint never flown came with two stock props I have the 5x4 on at the moment. I may convert this one to RC. I would skin the underside of the wing sanding in for a semi symmetrical airfoil to compensate the heavy but robust easy to clean plastic. I would fly with a TD .051 the carb and muffler. I would consider carbon tube spare epoxyed across the underside and then balsa sheet. It will come in hot unless there is a breeze then it could hover in on throttle. This sucker would need to be aggressively tossed to get on the wings quick. The span is 16.25in. At the wing saddle the root is 4in with 2in tips. From tip of spinner to rudder 14.25in.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:19 am

1/2A Nut wrote:I have a warp in my left wing creating down aileron so would be lifting the left wing and lines pushing out note there is no right rudder pre molded in. Mine is mint never flown came with two stock props I have the 5x4 on at the moment. I may convert this one to RC. I would skin the underside of the wing sanding in for a semi symmetrical airfoil to compensate the heavy but robust easy to clean plastic. I would fly with a TD .051 the carb and muffler. I would consider carbon tube spare epoxyed across the underside and then balsa sheet. It will come in hot unless there is a breeze then it could hover in on throttle. This sucker would need to be aggressively tossed to get on the wings quick. The span is 16.25in. At the wing saddle the root is 4in with 2in tips. From tip of spinner to rudder 14.25in.

Yea.. Cox built smaller .049 RTF's.. but not much smaller than this mono. Converting to R/C would be a challenge... but It might be better if trying that; to "build" a new semi-symmetrical wing with ailerons and less (or zero) dihedral..and the same type of saddle-mount as the original. Instead of cutting the nose apart to fit a Tee Dee.. either use a hot-rodded Bee.. or make a plywood plate that screws to the front of a horseshoe backplate to accept a small brushless out-runner.. and retain the integrity of the original engine mount. If you got creative enough.. you could do all of this without hacking the model. The receiver/speed control could mount to the center of the new wing inside the fuse, aileron servos (x2) in the wing could be set-up on a mixer to act as flaps to help with landing.. and the LiPo for the motor could be mounted externally under the fuse which is reasonably flat; from the nose rearward by using a Velcro strip for adjusting balance and rubber bands to secure it in flight. The trickiest part would be the elevator linkage. To avoid breaking something.. and to keep it original.. a servo would need to be mounted so as to actuate the C/L bellcrank.

The plastic pushrod "does" remove.. but the bellcrank is mounted using a clip that you don't want to remove if you don't have to.
wing warp on Cosmic Wind 6-6-1410

Those lead-outs I made to make line-changes/attachment easier.
wing warp on Cosmic Wind 6-6-1411

Note that the model has a rather large slug of "lead" in the nose from the factory. It is secured with a screw on the bottom and could be removed for balancing.

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Cosmic10
wing warp on Cosmic Wind 6-6-1412
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Empty I have anew one from buds promo

Post  stsguy Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:55 pm

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Img_8010
wing warp on Cosmic Wind Img_8011
stsguy
stsguy

https://www.gottaknowjoe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:17 pm

Wow, STS,

That is some kind of find. Even the glowplug looks new/unused. I've never seen that package before.

More importantly, this is just your second post in five years...welcome to CEF, the best little engine website on the Internet!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

wing warp on Cosmic Wind Empty I have a bunch of cox

Post  stsguy Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:12 pm

944_Jim wrote:Wow, STS,

That is some kind of find. Even the glowplug looks new/unused. I've never seen that package before.

More importantly, this is just your second post in five years...welcome to CEF, the best little engine website on the Internet!

I have a bunch of cox stuff Texan, Corsair a stack of Hyper vipers a big R Valentine collection, and countless others My collection is pretty nice many have more than I lol BTW the Cosmic wind is 100% Virgin with all the paperwork A.B. placed in it..
stsguy
stsguy

https://www.gottaknowjoe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:25 am

I like the plane and is that the hanger ? Michelob Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter