Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fox 35 or 40 anniversary  Cox_ba12

Fox 35 or 40 anniversary  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 11:51 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Today at 11:48 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:31 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:36 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:43 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fox 35 or 40 anniversary  Empty
Live on Patrol

Fox 35 or 40 anniversary

Go down

Fox 35 or 40 anniversary  Empty Fox 35 or 40 anniversary

Post  JPvelo Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:03 am

I have a chance to buy either a 35th or 40th anniversary fox for $25. Is one any better than the other?
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Fox 35 or 40 anniversary  Empty Re: Fox 35 or 40 anniversary

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Jim, the 40th anniversary has the name 40th anniversary casted onto the case. As for one being better than the other. That all depends. The 40th anniversary engines have some of the best fits Fox had to offer. Anyone who races Foxberg like myself seeks out this particular engine. It can also go the other direction as well due to some of them not being so well fit. One must think of the Fox as a kit in itself. Many like myself bought them in dozens. You run them all and take the best of the bunch and sell off what you feel is not up to par. I shoot for a desired rpm on a certain prop. If I don't see the numbers I like, I take them apart and do some polishing and lapping.  If you have one that's tight, it can easily be lapped for a proper fit assuming it has little run time. Unfortunately, many operate these engines on high percentage castor fuels which really varnish them up and this needs to be removed which isn't exactly a simple procedure. The problem with some is that the piston sleeve fit was too tight which when run in can really hammer the rod. The Fox has no bushed ends on it's rod ends and they're quite thin as well. The reason most seek this engine is due to it's hot start reliability. One has to remember though, it still is a Fox. I massage all of them. The ears on the 40th are very susceptible to breaking, the stock blimp muffler is good if you like fishing as it will assist your casting. Using it on the Fox is going to be very restrictive unless you severely open the rear of the stinger and or cut it off due to it being in the way of landing gear on profiles. If one runs a already tight fitting Fox using the stock muffler the engine sounds as if it's seizing and it will stop due to it seizing. Once cooled off run again.

Look at it this way, currently you can't buy a new one. A piston liner retails for nearly $50 and a crankcase is almost $40. Your $25 investment is looking real good right now and if you follow these engines on Ebay, they've skyrocketed considerably since Fox hasn't offered them. I always found it practical to trade my old tired crash damaged engines back in for 1/2 the retail price Fox offered you a brand new engine. Unfortunately, this isn't happening either. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:57 pm

Turns out they were both 40th aneversiary, bought one may go back for the other. Thanks for the info Ken.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum