Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Venom Piston Rod Reset Question - Page 4 Cox_ba12

Cox Venom Piston Rod Reset Question - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by MauricioB Today at 1:53 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Venom Piston Rod Reset Question - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Venom Piston Rod Reset Question

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Happy Re: Cox Venom Piston Rod Reset Question

Post  roddie Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:58 pm

fit90 wrote:Great work! I was one of the guys that said the Black Widow would have trouble hauling the plane around. You definitely showed me wrong. You have a nice flying plane. I think Roddie is right on with regard to your throttle set up. I hope it flies as well with the floats as it does without them. Nice work!

The floats look really nice! I agree that you'll need more power to get the model off the water. You've already planned for that though.. so that's a good thing!

I mentioned "model ship cleats" back a few posts ago. I'll explain what I meant now. With the pontoons, you'll need to adjust your center of gravity. I was thinking that "cleats" might look cool.. and be functional as well for adding weight to the pontoons. I've always been drawn to scale-like additions to models. A "real" float-plane would have rope-cleats for tying-off to the dock/pier.. so why not include them on the model?

Cox Venom Piston Rod Reset Question - Page 4 Rope-c10

Cast-metal scale-cleats might not be heavy enough to offset a weight-imbalance... but you could opt for cleats used for sash-blinds.. that would be heavier.. and might look really cool. You could mount them to the tops of your pontoons.. fore/aft the CG to balance. Much cooler than a chunk of lead hidden someplace.

I built a model-boat years ago.. and built a slip/dock for it as well. You could do the same for your float-plane.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rscarawa Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:41 am

So I did not give thought to changing the CG for floats. Should it be more forward or rearward for floats? The plane's CG is very rear ward without them.
rscarawa
rscarawa
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Happy I have tested the Norvel 074

Post  rscarawa Thu May 11, 2017 5:49 pm

It has been awhile since I have updated here. I have since tested the Norvel 074 Big Mig with a 7x3 prop and 20% nitro. The motor was new and it pulls real strong. It will pull the Cloud Ranger near vertical. The power is good enough to easily pull the CL off the water with floats as I have tried that a couple weeks ago. Very strong.

Now the bad. I have not seen a worse carb in my life. It is a single needle job. With the motor well broken in (about a 1/2 gallon by now), it will run full throttle, it will idle a little lean. the 25-50% throttle range is super rich. If you let the motor run in this range too long, it starts to load up. It would take 15 seconds or so. Even if you let the motor hang out in this range, you cannot go to full throttle without it flaming out. Flying with the carb in its stock state required flying around this band or not hanging out in it too long.

For the past week, I have been working on this carb to get it to run in the 25% range as I do like to cruise. Cruising at 60% is just way too fast for a trainer style plane. To fix the carb, I have been progressively filing on top hole of the carb barrel. The areas I am pulling from are the areas between 7 and 8:30 and the 3:30 to 5 oclock sections. I have taken a lot of material off and I just now have a carb I can live with. It still has a rich spot around 20% throttle but it is not enough to flame it out. If I had it to do over, I would not grind on the barrel. Instead, I would drill on the carb body like I did on my cox carb. I think that is an easier way to get a controlled, incremental change than what I did. Has anyone else had one of these motors and had this sort of issue? It is hard to believe that this is a manufacturing defect considering how much material I had to remove.

I am sorry I have no further video at this time. When I flew off the water, I was the only one in my group taking pictures.

Cheers

Scot
rscarawa
rscarawa
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4