Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Brass fuel-tank parts? Cox_ba12

Brass fuel-tank parts? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Today at 5:42 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Today at 5:35 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:20 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:13 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Brass fuel-tank parts? Empty
Live on Patrol

Brass fuel-tank parts?

Go down

Brass fuel-tank parts? Empty Brass fuel-tank parts?

Post  roddie Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Found these today at work.. and figured they might be useful? Perfectly-formed .015" brass "end-caps".

Brass fuel-tank parts? 015_sq10

They're rectangular.. inside-measurements are; .870" x .970"...... They're "perfectly-formed".. with a .200" 90-degree lip/flange. They'd make beautiful end-caps for a rectangular brass fuel-tank. I've got a bagful of them. Let me know if you think you could use a pair or two...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Brass fuel-tank parts? Empty Re: Brass fuel-tank parts?

Post  NEW222 Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:30 pm

Darn, two of those soldered together would make a nice little 5.5cc tank on their own. Good score for you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:02 am

Nice find! Any idea what they are (or were) originally?
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:23 am

KariFS wrote:Nice find! Any idea what they are (or were) originally?

I work for a company that recycles electronic-waste. We recently received 20 skids of material from a CATV provider. You'll notice that there's two "pins" on the caps, that likely get soldered into a PC-board. For what purpose, I don't know. Being made from .015" sheet brass; they're pretty sturdy.

There was only one small plastic bag of them.. and immediately thought.. WOW.. pre-made "fuel-tank end-caps"! I dunno' how a square/rectangular tank would work.. but these would sure make it easy to build. Maybe plumb-it like a wedge.. and make a 90-degree "V-shaped" saddle-mount from some balsa triangular stock. Huh...

Probably just more pipe-dream/junk.. but they didn't cost me anything.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:11 pm

I remember you made some rectangular "speed tanks" earlier, those would be a good starting point for them too. "Side caps" instead of end caps Smile

Could be they are originally some kind of heat- or EMC shields for some sensitive components.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:33 pm

KariFS wrote:I remember you made some rectangular "speed tanks" earlier, those would be a good starting point for them too. "Side caps" instead of end caps Smile

That's an interesting perspective Kari. I'd like to think I could use them. "Side-caps" would merely involve the addition of one-strip of brass at least .400" wide, to allow for the .200" flanges/ea. side.

Adding-up the cap inner-dimensions = 3.68 linear-inches. A strip cut to 3.75" long would allow for some length-loss incurred at the three bends. As previously mentioned; the caps are not square. They have a .100" perpendicular-difference; making them rectangular. Calculating a tank's capacity, would depend on the width of the strip made. In a "side-cap" arrangement; its' inner-dimensions would be a constant.. with the thickness of the strip (x2) subtracted from that measurement as the variable. I have the formula to convert cu. in. to cc's.. somewhere for when I made my speed-tanks. I enjoyed the mathematical aspect of building them.. almost as much as physically building them.

KariFS wrote:Could be they are originally some kind of heat- or EMC shields for some sensitive components.

You're probably correct given the nature of the source. We receive a myriad of materials for disposal/recycling where I work. Electronic-Waste is a serious issue in this day and age.. and "end-of-life"/obsolete components/inventory need to be responsibly processed.. rather than ending-up in a land-fill somewhere. Information-systems are employed by virtually all companies doing business today.. and those systems have an average useful-life of 5-7 years currently.. before technology advancements render them obsolete. The responsible-recycling of this material is a global responsibility that needs to be realized.

The nature of our business is AVR (Asset Value Recovery).. whether through the re-purposing of individual system-components.. (some of the material that we contract is resold) or the value after being responsibly recycled into individual commodities i.e.; Steel, Aluminum (pure-extruded vs./cast-pot-metal), copper (bright vs./with contaminants), PCBA/Printed Circuit-Board Assemblies (4+ grades; depending on the AU/contaminate ratio..), Power-Supply's, PDU's, Data (shielded) cable, Power-Cable, Connectors.. (multiple-grades.. depending on PCBA/Copper-content. Copper currently has a very high value..) Our customers receive a "kick-back"percentage of the proceeds after re-purposing/re-cycling. The recycling is tracked by weight/commodity by separate "waybills" for each customer.

Commodities outside of steel/ferrous metals.. are considered "focus-materials".. and are recycled by a "smelting-facility".. Some materials (plastics.. for example..) cost our company to recycle. We make an effort to re-use any Styrofoam/foam-rubber materials for the packaging of sales-orders.. because those particular materials do not have any local recycling-systems available. Our company has container pick-ups.. of "trash".. and what's termed as "zero-sort" recycling. Zero-sort.. consists mostly of corrugated-cardboard (broken-down boxes).. and anything else falling within the acceptable criteria.. (glass, paper, plastic packaging/bottles) Our landfill footprint is miniscule... compared to what we recycle.

Thanks for reading. When we throw things away in the trash.. they go somewhere else. They don't just disappear. If they can be repurposed/recycled... it makes our planet just a little bit cleaner for the future.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:48 pm

My Mom was tasked with recycling several hundred 286 computers. She made some for her school. Took apart practically all of them. Found a jeweler who would give her cash for certain components based on the contained gold and copper value. Those old processors had quite a lot of gold in them. (This would be the late 1990's, when the original Pentium processor family was the cutting edge)

The hard disk drives and floppy disk drives were rather valuable for the die cast aluminum parts. Rare earth magnets were also sold for scrap, although a number still adorn the fridge and Dad's tool box.

The cases became floorboards in several old cars too.

I know the printed boards were "scrapped" but I don't know if they cost or were paid for. I do remember very strict rules about how the boards had to be bundled together, so I had to just sort them all identical to separate boxes so Mom could handle that.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down