Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Perfect Tanks and Wen-MAc Props/Silkspan Cox_ba12

Perfect Tanks and Wen-MAc Props/Silkspan Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by MauricioB Today at 12:37 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Perfect Tanks and Wen-MAc Props/Silkspan Empty
Live on Patrol

Perfect Tanks and Wen-MAc Props/Silkspan

Go down

For Sale Perfect Tanks and Wen-MAc Props/Silkspan

Post  DanMc Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:38 pm

I am mostly a buyer and true colector, but I'm coming to the age where I realize I can't use everything I have. I have a pretty big collection of small Perfect tanks that I could make available, all new in box, and have a line on some more, and a fairly large stock of Wen-Mac props that I found but just didn't want to tie up the money with them. I could pick them up and spread the wealth if there is enough interest.
  I don't know if any of you guys have followed a thread on Stunt hanger about the recently discovered "doctor paper", exam table paper that very similar to the old GM and SGM K&S silkspan. I have acquired a good supply of that and for those that just want to buy it by the sheet, I can make that available also. The rolls are 21" wide and I was thinking of 36" long sheets at a buck a sheet plus shipping. It would be folded carefully and put into a large envelope. I have not been able to fins a cheap way of shipping rolls and some don't seem to be interested in the rolls, so let's try by the sheet?
  Thanks alot and forward any questions to me.
  Dan McEntee
 Florissant, MO
 dpmcenthusiast@aol.com
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

For Sale Re: Perfect Tanks and Wen-MAc Props/Silkspan

Post  NEW222 Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks Dan for offering this opportunity to us little guys over here on CEF. I am sure some will bite. You may remember me from Stunthangar, Chancey Chorney (Enya .09 first run, etc).
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Dan,

We may be interested in "Perfect" tanks up to 3/4 oz as long as they are brand new. If you have some please send a list to: support@coxengines.com and we can pay you the same amount we pay our current supplier for those.

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 pm

I'm not familiar with these props. What are specs?
Hole Dia:
Blade Count:
Blade Dia:
Blade Pitch:

Are these appropriate for regular use? Or only for display? How much per prop? Do they come with spinners?

Thanks,
Jim in MS
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Hey Dan,

Have you used the faux silkspan? If so what did you think?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:39 pm

944_Jim wrote:I'm not familiar with these props. What are specs?
Hole Dia:
Blade Count:
Blade Dia:
Blade Pitch:

Are these appropriate for regular use? Or only for display? How much per prop? Do they come with spinners?

Thanks,
Jim in MS

Hi Jim;
These are the same props that were used on most of Wen-Mac plastic ready to fly models. They are three blade with square tips, 4.5 inches in diameter, 3 inch pitch, red in color, and hole size is the same as Cox models and other RTF airplanes, to fit a #5 or so bolt. No spinners/ They are a "flexible" plastic and may be less than 3 inch pitch. They may work OK of a small, really light Cox powered control line model or sport free flight model. They didn't pull the Wen-Mac models very well, hardly at all really. I think a friend of Chris McMillin's managed to get flights on a Wen-Mac Dauntless using a good 6-3 prop and some extra nitro. These are new in package with Wen-Mac part number 800-112. They may not be the best prop but if you are fixing up a Wen-Mac RTF plane and need a prop, these are what you need to keep it original. I think I have about twenty of them and I'll start off at 5 bucks a piece plus postage for them. I think that is cheaper than what you see them for on eVilBay, where you can go to see photos of them. I don't know much about doing the photo thing here.
Thanks a lot,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Hey Dan,

Have you used the faux silkspan? If so what did you think?

Hi Ron!!;
This isn't "faux" silkspan, in my opinion. it's the real deal. The manufacturers call it a "crepe" type of paper.It has a grain that runs the length of the role, looks and feels just like the K&S stuff to me. I think it's pretty good quality stuff, as you would expect from the medical industry. It is used as a barrier for exam tables, the paper you jump up on and wiggle your bum around on trying to get comfortable. It's strong enough to take that punishment! I haven't covered a model with it yet but I'm working on it. Others on Stunthanger have and report good results. Sparky has posted a video of a guy covering some test sections with it and applying dope, them force drying it with a heat gun. I have taken sections of it and run it under the kitchen faucet to see how it handled wet, and it didn't fall apart like toilet paper or poor quality silkspan would. I could handle it, unfold it it it got folded over on itself, way wetter than you would if you were covering a wing wet. Prices for the stuff by the case are all over the place on the internet. Some guys aren't interested in a whole case, but shipping single rolls is ridiculously expensive. I think there are people that would be interested in it by the sheet like they used to get it at the hobby shop, just to try it out if for no other reason. The paper is 21" wide, and I would cut it off at 36". I think I can fold it up neat enough to get it in a large envelope and mailed in good shape. I was thinking a buck a sheet, and that is cheaper that the old K&S stuff was when it was available. You have my contact info, drop me a line if you want to get a few sheets to try out.
Type at you later,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:55 am

Email sent regarding tanks. Thanks Dan. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Pm sent
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

For Sale Doctor Paper

Post  DanMc Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:23 pm

944_Jim wrote:Pm sent

Hi Jim;
Just sent you an email.
Thanks a lot,
Dan
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Another PM sent.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Check mailed yesterday morning for fuel tanks. Thanks Dan! Flying
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu May 04, 2017 7:49 pm

Big Happy Dance!

Got my Docspan today! The paper was packed fabulously...Plastic wrapped and protected by a manila folder within a flat envelope. Dan took great pains to make sure it could survive being tossed up on the porch as if it were a Sunday newspaper!

I immediately pulled my Guillow's Mosquito kit kit out, and compared the old Guillow's paper to the new stuff.
My initial observation is the new stuff has a tighter "weave," but feels like it is the same thickness and flexibility.

I'll try to weigh the two sheets, and compare weights vis-a-vis square area. Expect the numbers in the next day or two.

I wish I had an assembled model for this stuff right now.
Things are about to get busy for me, so I may strip the gift tissue from my Lil Satan just to have a frame to hang this stuff on.

If this stuff works like I expect it will, I may want to find a whole roll.

Thanks Dan!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

For Sale Perfect fuel tanks mailed

Post  roddie Fri May 05, 2017 9:04 pm

Dan mailed me some of his "Perfect-brand" fuel tank stock. Small 1/2A wedges.. in the capacities/configurations that I wanted. The tanks were packed neat as a pin.. in a little cardboard box that made it unscathed; from Missouri to Rhode Island without a dent.. USPS.

Perfect Tanks and Wen-MAc Props/Silkspan Dan_mc10

Thanks Dan! Thumbs Up Some of these tanks will feed fuel to the engines of models that I plan on flying this season!

These tanks are "Perfect" for my 1/2A profile C/L models that utilize Cox .049 product-engines requiring external tanks. I now have a variety to test/run. I love these old tanks.. and I'm glad that Dan was willing to part with some of his stock.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat May 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Good afternoon all,

This is just a simple density comparison  of the "Doctor's Office Exam Table Covering" that may (will!) work in place of silkspan...henceforth colloquially know by me as "Docspan." Docspan is easier to say, and it describes two key features...where it came from, and what is represents to us.

I weighed a sheet of DanMc's paper, and the paper that I can at best only suspect is original Guillow's paper from my (roughly) 1976 Guillow's Mosquito kit. I still plan on weighing my Mid-90's Guillow's B-25 kit paper, since I know it IS original paper.

While I looked carefully at the Mossie paper this time, I noticed it was A LOT thinner than the Docspan. In fact, the Mossie paper had small voids, and was significantly thinner than cheap gift wrapping tissue. It still felt like decent Esaki tissue...soft, and easy to handle. It wasn't crinkly-stiff like cheap gift wrapping paper.

Anyway, the weights were taken on a digital electronic kitchen scale purchased from Walmart a couple of years ago. No claim to calibration is being made.

The new sheet of Docspan weighs 11 grams, yielding 67 in2/gr.
The old paper in the Guillow's kit is 4 grams, yielding 135 in2/gr.

While the "Guillow's" paper is roughly 1/2 the weight, it is so loosely woven that I can see a fully doped frame taking up much more dope to close and fill the paper. I also suspect the paper would be MUCH weaker than the Docspan, even with all the dope.

I still need to weigh the B-25 paper-but that won't happen for at least a month.
I know I'll dedicate my next model as a test mule for Docspan.

More to follow in July!

Thanks Dan!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat May 13, 2017 2:44 pm

WAY WAY back when Dad and I were building micro ultra light indoor models some of the techniques and materials were very very critical as well as the eye hand coordination to apply

Jump into real IC or Electric powered flight and one can pick materials that are exponentially easier to work with

While I appreciate the relative weight comparisons and THEY are important

I have been agnostic on the DocSpan because none of us has yet related the differing sources and materials on several OTHER important factors

Obviously Weigh is one
Shrinkage is another
Ease of cutting/shredding/tearing
grain direction
Shrink direction
Wet usability.... IMO the most important for old shaky hands and poor eyes

I got a few yards one time (1960s) of ULTRA sheer Silk... I am talking maybe 2MM silk on Taiwan.. The stuff was lovely in the hand and cherished by all my Indoor free flight buddies...BUT Dammit I used over 2 yards of the stuff to find some way to get just a few sections for my 28" WS rubber plane for the Gillows wings... wet it and it was impossible to use

Eventually stuck it down dry and then misted with sprayer hoping it would shrink OK

Back to the Doc-Poly(span)...
Is this stuff wet shrink or heat shrink?

In my current shop of models:
Brodak Kote (junk IMO)
MoneyKote
EconoKote
Sig Coverall
Century 21 stuff
MicroKote
ChinaKote
Dave Browns SkyLoft
DocuLam
SLC
FasCal
PolySpan
Brodak SilkSpan
SigMFG SilkSpan
Dharma 5MM and 8 MM silk
Wifes sourced various fabrics
Many SqYard of various weights of CF tissue
Many SqYrds of various weight of FG cloth

As an aside cuz I was just there yesterday looking for 2ea DuBro 4/40 ball links...(place on display board--- but empty----grrrr)

If you do not count about 250+/- 20 year old plastic models of cars, airplanes, and boats (at my LSH) my personal hobby barn/shop, Airplane hanger---- has a much more robust stock of items

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Sat May 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi Fred;
The stuff I have and sent to Jim is made by TIDI. I have two different weights of the material. One they call "Choice" and the other is called "Everyday." They call both of these a "crepe" type of paper, which makes sense. The "Choice" has their part number 916213, I think and the "Everyday" is 98-1004, I have all the details on a thread over at Stunthanger. Another forum member had examples of the original, old K&S GM and SGM silk span. His sheets were 24" by 36", which is what I remember it coming in. He weighed them on an accurate gram scale. I calculated the area of the sheet in square inches, and curt a sheet of the 21" wide material I have to length that equaled the area of the original, and weighed those. They came to within a few grams each of what the original K&S stuff weighed. The "Choice" Docpaper is the equivalent of the heavier, old SGM, and the "Everyday" is the equivalent of the medium weight GM. Bot of these papers have grain that runs lengthwise on the roll. If you hold them up to a light, you can see the difference between the two. I think it is the real deal silk span, and is a good quality paper for several reasons. It is made for the medial industry, which has rigid standards. It's intended for peopl to jump up on and squirm around on and take the punishment that people's rear ends give it. The first thing I did when I got a sample in my hands was run it under the kitchen faucet and got it soaked. It did not fall apart like toilet paper, and was able to get it stuck to itself, then get it unstuck and laid back out again. I gave a roll of each to Sean. If you get near his house, beat him out of a few feet of each to try it. If you look at the rolls. They are supposed to be 125 feet long. The heavier paper, the 916312, is larger in diameter than the other, another clear indication that it is heavier. I'm trying to get a model ready to cover with the light stuff now to try it out, but others on the forums have used it so far with no complaints that I have heard. This isn't intended to say it's superior to anything else, just that is is as good as a lot of use remember silk span being like, and what we prefer to use. If you like it and it's cheap enough, why not use it!
Type at you later,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm

I know this...this stuff sure looks like it'll beat the Christmas tissue I used on my scratch-built Lil Satan!

That stuff tears when wet, gets really brittle when filled, and splinters when it hits a blade of grass. I've fixed that plane four or five times already...paper only, no airframe damage.

944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 14, 2017 5:01 pm

I received my paper. Packaged well and it looks like the real deal. Can't wait to try it!!!

Thanks Dan.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down