Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat Cox_ba12

So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by F4D Phantom II Today at 9:06 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 8:55 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 8:50 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:59 pm

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:19 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 5:19 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat Empty
Live on Patrol

So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat

Go down

Thinking So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:55 am

Back a while this thread got me off my butt (sort of)

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10555-uk-sourced-engine-test-stand?highlight=test+stand

Back story...way back when I retire and decided to Play RC cuz NOW I could afford to....

Got the radio, Got the trainer, Got the Engine, a Super Tiger G90..... Ha...! Hey!!! It was a 60 sized trainer but Tower Tech notes told me the ST G90 was same case, lighter, and MORE POWER than the .60 for same cost....  no briner right.....WRONG!!!

What they did not say was a .90 on a .60 trainer was super EXCESSIVE power and speed due to the propeller it would swing .....Ah, live n learn...grin      (ultimately the trainer was powered with a used Magnum Pro .45 with plenty of go for the high wing plane)

So as long as I was spending bucks, might as well get a good engine test stand from Tower also.....to this I added the bottom spine so I could mount it outside in my Jaw Horse work stand

So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat 20170610

So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat 20170611

Along the way I got me one of dem Bernie sourced cool blue 1/2a extrusion mounts, and proceeded to craft a multi engine stand for my growing accumulation of engines:
Super Tiger
Torp  Green heads
McCoys
Fox 35s and Combat 36s
Nelsons
Johnsons
OS 20s through 35s

So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat 20170612

I also crafted super simple 1/2a Combat engine stand from 3/4 ply for bladder fed hot rods
So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat 20170613

Then I got the bug for .35 and larger Stunt planes--- so started accumulating larger engines and the Tower test stand is much to fiddly so I noticed Rsv1 something ....AKA Bob.... got one of the way cool Brit mounts...I had a ME TOO weakness, and ordered one up

Recently receiving a few Balanced and Blue printed Tom Dixon and Randy Smith motors, I decided since the WX suz for flying, I was going to test fire some of my new cool stuff.... BUT Dang... I never did mount up the Brit stand

Point of all this is ----today I got off duff and made this "T" mount to play with tomorrow, after Poly dries

So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat 20170614

sorry for crummy tography

Last edited by fredvon4 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Apology)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Just make sure that the engine stand has the two retaining pins. Otherwise the engine can slip out as shown below (skip to about 5:40);

https://youtu.be/V8RKGNQxkOc?t=5m42s

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: So you want to play with your engine BEFORE mounting to a plane, car ,or boat

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:23 pm

LOL good find Kris!
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:06 pm

I bet he was hitting the panic button. That was certainly entertaining. I saw a Mccoy .60 come out of the stand one afternoon and it went straight up about 12 feet high and of course came back down. It certainly didn't do that nice anodized red head any good.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:25 pm

I watched it. I thought it was good for "me".. because I'm curious about diesels/diesel-conversions. Too bad his mount wasn't secure. He didn't have to post that part of his film... but he chose to. It's a reminder......
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Ken Cook wrote:         I bet he was hitting the panic button. That was certainly entertaining. I saw a Mccoy .60 come out of the stand one afternoon and it went straight up about 12 feet high and of course came back down. It certainly didn't do that nice anodized red head any good.

Yep, had exactly the same thing happen to me, but was a McCoy .29 at full rpm.  Panic is right, you can't think quick enough when something like this happens.  It least he got the fuel line off.  That's what I intended to do myself, but mine took off and smacked the shed wall hard.  Glad I wasn't in the way. Yes, the red head suffered on mine too. I have a brand new one waiting to be installed.
Makes me a lot more careful when I bench-mount engines now.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Looking at his test stand, I noted that his rig is on cabinet drawer glides. I have no idea why but that in itself is dangerous. If you look when he's fiddling with the Tommy bar, the rig is slightly moving. Therefore, he has something not exactly holding it stationary. That could hurt you pretty bad if whatever is holding the glides decided not to hold it any longer if your in front of it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 am

Yes, the cabinet drawer is an odd thing, perhaps it is there for a trust measurement or something....
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:36 am

Yea that was scary looking !! Reminds me of the Fox36X coming loose on the old wood test stand i have before doing some rebuilding of the clamps . Wood soaked over years of castor fuel sitting up to soak in (not good) Affraid or WOW! Atleast he didnt get hurt or hurt someone else !! cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Follow up

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Well I took the engine departing video to heart and adapted the mount to include positive capture pins

BUT -----I love and hate this mount.... on the one hand it is fairly easy to set up
On the Other the design sux for short nosed engines...most of our factory stunt engines

What I mean is... installed..... the distance from the case to the NVA is too short and adjusting the Needle is a problem

I am able to make it work, but IMO just as fiddly as the lower cost Tower test stand I show

I also have a Tatone version that is about the same problem

Just need to get off my butt and use a lot of the various hard woods I have---- and build a motor stand that ONLY captures the mounting lugs securely...but faster than my screw mounts shown above

That all said.... I got a bunch of new to me Magnum, Evo, OS .20 to .52 engines dialed in and heat cycled ---waiting final break in in flight

Long ago, after about a gallon of fuel in one of my 3 Enya 5224 .35s--- I had decided that I would rather fly than watch burn expensive fuel

FWIIW...I do NOT believe any Cox engine needs breaking in on a bench

and now with my other brand engines, I only really bench run them to see that they start, and what seems to be a good priming method, a good NVA needle set, and if when I pull to glow power, they stay lit and NOT sag

I know there are many different schools of thought on this----

Truth is I have one Enya 5224 .35 ---that despite 5 quarts of fuel---- still seems to me to be very tight....so much so, that I am very tempted to dump a baggie of Duke Fox's magic dust down the venturi as I peak it out

No No Ken Cook!!! No need to tell me how stupid that is.... I know better

One of these days I will actually take apart this pristine (BUT TIGHT) engine, polish the crank, and consider lapping in the piston/liner

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down