Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Remington's model airplane Cox_ba12

Remington's model airplane Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Remington's model airplane Empty
Live on Patrol

Remington's model airplane

Go down

Remington's model airplane Empty Remington's model airplane

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:42 pm

I tend to collect anything related to Remington and when I found this mint NIP model I had no trouble handing over five bucks.  The first one of these that I had ever seen.  Goes well with my other Remington/UMC collectables.

Remington's model airplane Rem_mi12

There are others in different paint schemes on ebay at similiar prices, I may just have to add to my collection.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Remington's model airplane Empty Re: Remington's model airplane

Post  Marleysky Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:44 am

I don't care if the guy liked the shaver so much "he bought the company"  or not. I've not used one ( as shown on the right in this picture) since the early 70's.  Dave letterman is my new hero for going out with his full beard for all to enjoy! And his quote: "If you retire to spend more time with your family, you better check with your family first".  
Remington's model airplane Img_0016

Yeah, I know your obsession is with the Guns and Ammo Remington, not the shaver people, but when I first read your post, I got a good chuckle out of my thought " boy, Bobs really into a good clean shave!"
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:01 am

Promotional items, toys, hats, shirts decals, beer signs, coasters, ashtrays, etc have always been a fascination of mine....mostly because I noticed two things when younger

Some savvy store owners / promoters, gave away a lot of the stuff for simple brand name recognition

Then some noticed that people would actually pay for the stuff

To date I have never paid for a Motorcycle Tee Shirt or John Deer ( example) ball cap

and I have no earthly clue who Baurer or Hillfiger are but find it funny folks will pay to freely advertise for them

My VFW has a real cool Budweiser clock with plastic Clydesdale-- the full team and wagon inside--- that was given free as a promotional item in the 70s

WE had to vote to include it on our named peril insurance policy becaus some member found out it was worth about $15,000 today...

I remember back in the 60s, as my dad was checking out of a place like Western Auto with the quarterly car service air-filter, oil and stuff ----he would ask the counter guy to throw in some of the promotional crap ...decals from STP, pens, and the such

at home he was the hero passing the crap out to me and my sibs

Later when I briefly worked at a full service station...gas pump -window washer -oil checker we had all sorts of that stuff as well as S&H green stamps.... I gave away a free Dino the Dinosaur to every car with kids in it

So gang where did I work?

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:20 am

Sinclair....    I worked for Marathon, at a intersection that had a Marathon, Shell, Sunoco and Sinclair on each corner w/ Texaco just down the street.
Full service, commission on oil changes, prizes in the oil cans, all the STP stickers you wanted. I worked evenings and weekends, had to clean and put away all the tools and wash down the service bays, using laundry soap and a stiff broom. When we needed more soap I'dtake a few bucks out of the till, run down street to the grocery store and by a large box of Tide ( iirc) which had a free towel inside. Put the change and store receipt back in the till, so the boss knew where the money went. Had quite a collection of towels. Ahh, memories!

Last edited by Marleysky on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Sinclair had Dino, Esso had the tiger.)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:43 am

My Dad was a Texeco patron just because he though TCP (tom cat pee) was a funny additive

Ah yes the memories

I quite one service station (Shell) summer job cuz the owner was not ethical

His training of us gas jockies included how to squirt a bit of oil on the out side of shocks to sell a new set to only cross country travelers

or short stick the Oil dip stick to sell an empty can of oil

Dad had already taught me all those tricks ( to watch for) as we traveled cross country to Army assignments
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:26 pm

They made a "Lady Remington" too Rene. Smile

Remington "America's Oldest Gun-maker" branched out into making so many products it would be impossible to list them all here within the confines of time and good judgement.

From Wiki:

The origins of the "Remington" name date back to the formation of E. Remington and Sons, a firearms maker founded in 1816. E. Remington & Sons made occasional forays into products other than firearms, such as sewing machines and farm implements — but its most significant side venture was when inventor Christopher Sholes persuaded the firearms company to help him develop the typewriter with the QWERTY keyboard, which is still the standard today.

Soooo....You can thank or scorn Remington today for what it just below your fingertips right now. Smile

I am a long time member of The Remington Collector's Society and they put out a quarterly journal with some of the best color photography I have ever seen.  It's too bad my photographic skills don't represent it properly. Sad

Remington's model airplane Rems_011
Remington's model airplane Rems_016
Remington's model airplane Rems_010
Remington's model airplane Rems_015
Remington's model airplane Rems_013
Remington's model airplane Rems_012
Remington's model airplane Rems_014
Remington's model airplane Rems_018
Remington's model airplane Rems_019
Remington's model airplane Rems_017

I am really sorry for the crappy pictures, they don't do the publication justice.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 pm

fredvon4 wrote:My Dad was a Texeco patron just because he though TCP (tom cat pee) was a funny additive

Ah yes the memories

I quite one service station (Shell) summer job cuz the owner was not ethical

His training of us gas jockies included how to squirt a bit of oil on the out side of shocks to sell a new set to only cross country travelers

or short stick the Oil dip stick to sell an empty can of oil

Dad had already taught me all those tricks ( to watch for) as we traveled cross country to Army assignments

Nothing to do with Remington, but my first job was at a service station. Fred, I understand your ethical dilemma.

This was the time when plastic disposible driveway oil bottles were first used as a repacement for the refillable glass ones. At the end of the day my boss used to make me rummage through the rubbish bins and collect all the empty plastic bottles & my job was to refill them with cheap recycled oil, not the BP Visco 2000 advertised on the label. Cleaned them up really well and put them back on the rack for resale. I knew it was wrong, but a 16 year old in their first job didn't ask too many questions.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Here's another - Stinson SR-7.

Remington's model airplane Rem_111
Remington's model airplane Rem_211
Remington's model airplane Rem_311
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:26 am

A couple of those Journals featured Remington's model 8 (1906/1911), my favorite center-fire rifle.  In 2006 Remington brought out a 100 year commemorative Model Four that features an image of the model 8 in gold on it's receiver.  A John Browning design it was also manufactured by FN for sale in Europe.  

Learn about the unique model 8 and the Bonnie and Clyde connection in this youtube less than 4 minute video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I7tYUNPfLQ

Last edited by rsv1cox on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 am

One to the head?
. All those bullets, as shown in the movie, and all it took is one to take down Clyde? Aww, where's the cinema in that?? Thanks for the history lesson. I could have spent the better part of the morning watching the "related" videos that pop up at the end of this one. One cup of coffee, and time to change the channel.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Marleysky wrote:
One to the head?
. All those bullets, as shown in the movie, and all it took is one to take down Clyde? Aww, where's the cinema in that??  Thanks for the history lesson. I could have spent the better part of the morning watching the "related" videos that pop up at the end of this one. One cup of coffee, and time to change the channel.

Yes, I think the narrator got a little carried away, if you have ever seen a picture of the actual car it looks like a sieve. The event was profiled recently in "The American Rifleman". There were several law enforcement officers involved in the ambush with a variety of long guns, machine guns, and pistols. And naturally the picture "Bonnie and Clyde" depicted it quite dramatically.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Terry was gracious enough to share that pictured Stinson with me. It's now a proud part of my Remington collection.

A seriously well rendered model that is heavy enough to gain a zero lift to glide ratio.

Remington's model airplane Midget12

Thanks Terry, it arrived well packed and safe.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Glad to hear it, Bob.
Just part of my "pay it forward" debt to the hobby.
Lift the windscreen and you see it's also a coin bank, for even less glide ratio. Very Happy
Enjoy.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Gotta love die cast stuff

almost all the companies did a super job on the finish

BOB , Glad Terry shared with you the Stinson...a fav of mine

Good on your --Pay it Forward---- Terry... mucho karma your way
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:44 pm

As I related in a thread not to long ago my wife and I discovered a Stinson Voyager for sale at a remote airfield not to far away from Pensacola.  We actually sat in it and dreamed for awhile. $750 was at the time out of the question.  It occurred to me that Terry helped my Stinson dream come true albeit at a slightly smaller scale.  The Reliant was the big brother to the Voyager and I believe was made during the same time period.  

Remington's model airplane Stinso10

Hmm, did not know it was a coin bank too.  Maybe I will save up the $750 in there and get the full scale.  Smile

Edit add"  And this is slightly weird, I just remembered that we also looked at a Jaguar XK140M at Jarrard motors also in Pensacola and at the same price. $750.  We had good taste, small budget.  I remember we took it for a test ride and it had no brakes. Zero.  Using the hand brake I coxed it back to the dealer who apologized and said come back tomorrow and it will be fixed.  We did, and it was.  Drove it and fell in love with sports cars.

Remington's model airplane Jaguar10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content