Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Advice on Norvel engines Cox_ba12

Advice on Norvel engines Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by MauricioB Today at 12:37 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Advice on Norvel engines Empty
Live on Patrol

Advice on Norvel engines

Go down

Free! Advice on Norvel engines

Post  fredvon4 Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Rusty and Ken got me playing successfully with these lil low cost screamers a few years back

Someone on another forum asked a question today that made me go to the NV web site and I sadly noted NO .049s are for sale any more

http://www.nvengines.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=65

there are good .061s still in stock

But this lack of ready to run .049s probably also means a depletion of stock replacement parts

I was real late to the table for Super Tigre engines and did score a few new in box ones...but too late, as all repair parts soon were unobtainable... only have one ST engine left as I sold off all the others

Any way, if you every thought about playing with a Norvel engines or have one or more .049s....I think the writing is on the wall....or has been for a while, and I was just not paying attention

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Free! Re: Advice on Norvel engines

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:02 pm

So want to sell your last Tigre? I am in the market
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Ron, my brother, it is yours for the asking BUT-- alas ---NOT what you want

Mine is a fresh not yet broken in combat BB G21 and does NOT have the stunt baffle piston

I have been following your quest on SH

I kind of lost the combat nostalgia build bug and doubt it will return...if you want this dinosaur engine it is yours

I am content to power my limited combat wings with OS or ASP engines... screw historically correct...I am in it for the fun not the freaking agrivation
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Sent you a PM.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:46 pm

NV hasn't offered a Big Mig  .049 for a long while. They only had the Aero .049 combat version. Most don't even know the differences and therefore purchase these engines with little to no knowledge or how they operate. In turn they get a lot of negative response. The Big Mig .049 is a terrific engine as well as the Big Mig .061. The AME's however can be problematic. The wrist pins come loose and get jammed into the porting of the cylinder. This can't happen on the Big Mig due to the porting not lining up with the wrist pin centerline. In addition, the AME isn't and wasn't designed to run on suction. Muffler pressure certainly helps but it isn't the best method to use. I had inquired about 2 years ago to the distributor of NV engines who wrote me back and explained they WON"T be building anymore engines of this displacement. There's just no market for them. They shifted gears into gasoline technology and claimed that was the bread and butter of the company. Think about it, electrics dominate glow in power, noise and even in most cases costs excluding batteries. Glow fuel is $23 a gallon and gasoline is $3.

Since the debut of the high powered .061's .049's have become non existent.  There essentially in the same case with little weight penalty. Why would one want the smaller?  Bigger is always better as it's easier to detune a higher powered engine vs the reciprocal. The displacement only pertains to the free flight crowd as they're the only modelers concerned in regards to true class size engine. They're a very small group today. Engine class is non existent in stunt, combat has changed to the .061's in order to be competitive with the ball bearing .049's. Speed has so little participation today that it's not even worth mentioning as those that do fly it  are the only ones at the NATS.

I have more than a fair share of new in the box Norvel .049's to sell. The .061 ruling made them obsolete and they sit in a box. I recently put them on Stunthangar and you can't give them away. I was selling it for $40, I paid more for it new and no takers.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Hey, Ken, if I can find a way to rationalize it and justify it, not quite the same things, I'd love to buy one of those engines from you from you. Either an Aero or a Big Mig, new or used, makes no difference to me.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down