Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

more field-box batteries.. Cox_ba12

more field-box batteries.. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 9:38 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by rsv1cox Today at 6:38 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:33 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:45 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Yesterday at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Tue May 14, 2024 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Tue May 14, 2024 5:59 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

more field-box batteries.. Empty
Live on Patrol

more field-box batteries..

Go down

more field-box batteries.. Empty more field-box batteries..

Post  roddie Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:19 pm

I just love batteries... as long as they can still deliverer their rated capacity. Can't have enough of them.. Laughing As some of you know; my previous employer (as of this past week) contracts the recycling of obsolete electric waste... and took-in some high-end battery back-up chassis' which singly supplied power to an entire rack of computer-servers. These chassis contained six 6v cells wired in series (36VDC) into an inverter-circuit to output 220VAC for short-term uninterrupted emergency-power.. providing time to properly shut-down the rack and prevent the loss of data.

The units were "freshly-charged".. and primarily disconnecting the battery-circuit was imperative to prevent having an episode with getting "jolted" or inadvertently "arc-welding"...... Shocked

All batteries contained in various equipment are typically separated by type and sent to an R2-compliant recycling facility.. along with other materials that have been broken-down and separated into "commodities" of different metals/alloys, PC-boards, Copper-wire, Data-cable.. etc. There are at least 15 different materials that can be separated from obsolete/decommissioned IT systems for responsible (proper) recycling. It's a very good system.. and I felt proud to be working for a company that was helping to keep contaminants out of land-fills. The average life of these systems is currently 3-5 years.. at which point, most companies upgrade to newer/faster and more compact technology. It's a serious thing that needs to be acknowledged for a cleaner earth in years to come.

............. back on topic.. I scavenged six 6V sealed lead-acid batteries from one of the aforementioned chassis a few weeks ago.

more field-box batteries.. Wisete10
more field-box batteries.. Wisete11

They're much smaller than the 12V cells that I'd brought home a few months ago. I plan on putting them on a trickle-charge to keep them topped-off while in storage. I'll have to see whether my 6/12V trickle-charger will accomplish this with all of them wired together with a "parallel"-connection harness. It might work.. we'll see.

My future use for these batteries will be for connecting two in "series" to provide 12VDC power for my field-box panel primarily.. but also for testing.. and running small-load DC/AC inverters for certain applications in the event of a grid power-loss.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

more field-box batteries.. Empty Re: more field-box batteries..

Post  fredvon4 Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Roddie as You know from other posts ---I am OUT in the sticks and have a Lot of weather related power outages. Over the last 23 years I now have about 9 uninterruptible power supplies that usually come with 12Vdc 7Ah sealed lead acid batts

every 3 years or so I find the best price and free shipping and replace all of them...just this year $13 per 12vdc 9Ah batt

before serious model building I recycled all of them

Now I tend to hoard ( after cutting off the contacts) them as Building weights

And yes I first send each one to my very good charging station and pick the best to swap into my flight box

and I do get lucky on a few... BTW... all with a date bought, and date in service note on the side

and a last note... I have one or more here, over 6 years old, and so far no noticeable cracking or bulging...BUT! I do watch them cuz I never want to fubar a model with leaking acid

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down