Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... Cox_ba12

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 5:42 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by MauricioB Today at 4:50 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... Empty
Live on Patrol

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but...

Go down

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... Empty Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but...

Post  Kim Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:43 am

Got tired of envying my Breezy Hill buds for their starting stands, and decided to build one up to decorate my yard.

Daryl's Butterfly tries out one of the club's new stands:
Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... 13_310

The 'Guitar Stage'
Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... 9_15

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... 12_610

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... 10_14

Big Red tries out the new stand early in the morning.  Still need some cushions for the wing posts (and also cut them off a bit).
Gonna let it 'season' in the sun for a while, then probably paint it 'Caution Yellow' or something similar.
Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... 13_14

I'm gonna make the posts removable to give me some elbow room, and also let the thing double as a launching stooge.
Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... 13_110

There's probably gonna be a lot more chopping and changing as I figure out what I need it to do.
Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... 13_210
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... Empty Re: Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but...

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:23 am

Looks pretty good to me

Back in 2011 our RC club's 10 stands were an eye sore and pretty rickety after 21 years of on site weathering in Texas winter and summer

I decided to mention at one of the meetings that we might draw more folks to our fun fly events if we looked a little better

I offered to head up a team to build 11 new stands and the club voted me a budget for the lumber and hardware

I ended up building 9 of the 11.... bigger PITA assembling these than it looks. They are quite heavy and must be flipped a few times during assy
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... Empty Re: Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but...

Post  Kim Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks Fred!

Yep, this sucker is plenty heavy, so lots of opportunity for a guy to discover he's actually built himself a dead-fall. The Breezy Hill versions are bigger across to accommodate the big dogs some of them fly. Mine is a bit taller so that it can double as a work table with my shrimpy little planes.

Got plans for a some shelving underneath the table for a fieldbox/starter/stuff.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:52 am

Great concept! I may have a fairly easy solution for making removable posts..

I would source a 8 foot length of 1" EMT steel conduit (cheap$ and strong) and cut it in half to use as your posts. Cut the wood-ones off flush with the table.. and bore a pair of 1" diameter holes "just-inside" of the cut-offs, using a common 1" paddle-drill bit. Run the conduit-posts down-through the table so that they bottom-out on the existing lower wood-braces. This should provide a post-height of close to 3 feet.

Cushion the conduit using the foam "swimming-pool noodles" (also cheap$) which will slip-on snugly.

The only other thing I would add is a provision to hold down the tail when throttling-up.. especially with a high-wing airplane. Maybe install some randomly-placed hooks to the rear frame-support to accept a bungee-cord.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 am

roddie wrote:Great concept! I may have a fairly easy solution for making removable posts..

I would source a 8 foot length of 1" EMT steel conduit (cheap$ and strong) and cut it in half to use as your posts. Cut the wood-ones off flush with the table.. and bore a pair of 1" diameter holes "just-inside" of the cut-offs, using a common 1" paddle-drill bit. Run the conduit-posts down-through the table so that they bottom-out on the existing lower wood-braces. This should provide a post-height of close to 3 feet.

Cushion the conduit using the foam "swimming-pool noodles" (also cheap$) which will slip-on snugly.

The only other thing I would add is a provision to hold down the tail when throttling-up.. especially with a high-wing airplane. Maybe install some randomly-placed hooks to the rear frame-support to accept a bungee-cord.

Thanks Roddie!

Sounds like it worth a try! The guys at Breezy Hill were saying that the needed chocks or a parking brake on their stands to keep Ronnie from 'taxiing' them when he stats his big planes!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:28 am

We did not have storage for the stands so they only have temp wheels to get them to permanent (sort of) parking near flight line

You do need to address wood rot in the three leg bottoms even with green/treated direct contact boards. I slathered on Asphalt type roofing sealer on the bottom 6 inches...seems to also keep the ants away

EMT probably a bit fiddly for Kim as he nail the uprights right where the hole would be drilled...but that is easy to work around using the "U" cleats made for the EMT and some bottom stop so they can still drop in

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Yea.. the whole apparatus looks REALLY HEAVY with all that timber; including the one at your club-field.. and the ones that Phred mentions having built for his flying-club. I realize that these are primarily meant to be semi-permanent structures to be kept out in the elements.. and some will need to support 1/4-scale and larger models. Still.. they look WAY over-built to me. EMT conduit could be used to build the entire frame.. using a "hickey" (bender) and exterior-grade 3/4" plywood for the table/base. You could probably reduce the overall weight by at least 75# and anchor the rear-section of the structure with a ground-stake and cable. The "wheels" suggest portability... so why not design one that doesn't "break your back" to move around?

Maybe I'm over-thinking this... Rolling Eyes ... I guess it depends on several factors. Safety always being #1... #2 "purpose"; will it be used as a "pit-station" with attributes for complete flight-support.. IE; compartments/shelves underneath to hold "all" of your support-gear? How "heavily-built" does it need to be? The O/L length need not be excessive. A sliding rear-extension could support the lightweight tail of a larger model. One person should be able to easily lift it "unloaded".. IMO.. and the O/A size should permit transporting via the avg. size SUV to another location if needed.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Oh they're definitely overbuilt!  But, as simple-minded as it seems, I had a set of plans for this one, http://www.meroke.com/sbbuildinginstructions.htm, and REALLY like the ones at Breezy Hill...AND...finally got to haul some 8' lumber in my HHR (one of the reasons for buying it 6 years ago)!

The whole deal sprung up yesterday when I was trying to test-run the cranky O.S. .61FX on Big Red.  This usually involves dragging stuff out in the yard, and I decided that I wanted something to be there waiting for me rather than pieced together.  I got ticked off, and next thing I knew, I was sliding the magic plastic at the counter of the lumber yard.

The bench's migrations will be limited to trips between the front yard and back yard (though it will fit in my cargo trailer), so I'm hoping the el-cheapo wheels will last a while.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:18 pm

If that's the basic movement around the yard Kim I strongly suggest a nice removable castering wheel for the aft leg

As you probably know over yard like terraine the bigger the tire the better.....grin

The 11 built on my property had to be transported 65 miles to the RC field and then 230 feet from parking to the flight line

IN my case I just built one* three point dolly--- as was normal for those long forgotten guys...no one showed up to help (as I knew would happen)

*But stupid cheap me used 4" wheels... 6"~8" would have been so much more gooder
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Looks great, Kim!  That's much more ambitious than I am.  Those big wheels should be very good for moving it around.

A minor suggestion, if I may.  I always look at things and wonder what stupid thing I would do.  That one 2x6(?) that goes the length of the table and the tailwheel sits on.  If I was working around the table, I just know that klutzy me would bang into one of the wings and cause the plane to yaw, and the tailweel would fall off the side and damage the plane.  A couple of small siderails would prevent that from happening, if you were of a mind to "Batjac-proof" it.

The Kibitzer Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Oh yeah, the plans call for them and I'd made up a couple this morning...just got frisky witht the camera after too much coffee!  They're in place now.

Actually, the wing posts may get removed as I like strapping things down, and I'm sure I'd eventually tangle with them!

Last edited by Kim on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Mark thanks so much! I knew I was forgetting an important detail hint for Kim... In our case a guy did not clutz bang his model off the tail end ----a gust of wind did.... I added 1" firing strips on each side about a foot long

I also so noticed some of the guys would put their field box on the forward "wings" and some engines generated enough vibration that the field box would vibrate and fall off... I had a roll of black stair tread self stick anti slip stuff and that worked

Wish I had a photo cuz Kim mentioned paint.

He knows the scheme from working flight lines...

One of our younger members did go out to the field and paint one of the new stands....Yellow and black caution stripes with the point in the front of the stand,,,,, Legs and under structure a good looking Red----looked really cool.
He used outdoor enamel and from what I saw held up well
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Havin' a hard time keepin' up with you guy's ......haven't even got my "Stooge" built and now we're off building Plane Platforms!!   They all look good, but I think i'd add a little Lifting surfaces with control surfaces to make moving it around easier.....yeah, my first attempt at using "Paint" to.  make it look like Kims Snow Bird..or Pete&Paul:  

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... Platfo10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:15 pm

fredvon4 wrote:

I also so noticed some of the guys would put their field box on the forward "wings" and some engines generated enough vibration that the field box would vibrate and fall off... I had a roll of black stair tread self stick anti slip stuff and that worked

Wish I had a photo cuz Kim mentioned paint.

He knows the scheme from working flight lines...

One of our younger members did go out to the field and paint one of the new stands....Yellow and black caution stripes with the point in the front of the stand,,,,, Legs and under structure a good looking Red----looked really cool.
He used outdoor enamel and from what I saw held up well

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about the 'wings' as fieldbox-holders...mine are probably gonna get drilled and slotted for screw drivers and pliers and such, with some appropriately beefed shelving to hold the field box under the right side of the table.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Marleysky wrote:Havin' a hard time keepin' up with you guy's ......haven't even got my "Stooge" built and now we're off building Plane Platforms!!   They all look good, but I think i'd add a little Lifting surfaces with control surfaces to make moving it around easier.....yeah, my first attempt at using "Paint" to.  make it look like Kims Snow Bird..or Pete&Paul:  

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... Platfo10

Cool! Looks like Big Red's 'Mother Ship' !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:49 am

Think I'm gonna name this thing, "The Beast". It's been subject to various additions and amputations over the past few weeks, but is finally getting close to being useful.

I added a 'balcony' for my current flight box, to let me keep my fuel and gear in easy reach, and bought some assorted hooks and 'I' bolts to corral whatever ends up parked on it. For my purposes, the wing stops were nothing but in my way, so they got the circular saw treatment. Got some conduit to replace them if I decide I need them at some point.

I'm looking forward to using it for engine test/running as much as starting planes, as I can roll the thing around and aim the exhaust any where I need to get away from it.

And yes...I did a 'tip test' to see if it might want to fall on me. It's plenty stable, though I may move that right wheel to the outside of it's board to get the balanced moved a bit more.

The Show Goes On...

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... 1_11

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... 2_13
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:03 am

I highly recommend you do not fill all the cracks, sand and sand some more...silkspan n dope, sand some more, shoot primer coat, dry/wet sand, fix dings n depressions, respray, more sanding then color coat, fix drips and blems, reshoot, then mix up the 2 part clear and wait for a good day to shoot. Followed by 150 hours of polishing out the clear

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:07 am

Roger That! This dog is ready for the Show !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:47 pm

Well thats looks beautiful to me and sure got a i'm useful award stamped on it >> (most people that build model airplanes aren't carpenders ) LOL The Beast it is ! Thumbs Up Poly spar that baby bounce bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Well, I sure ain't no carpenter, but... Empty Ready for the show...OH HELL NO

Post  fredvon4 Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:46 pm

First you must spill at least a quart of old fuel and lite it off...pretty blue flames... as it chars some, hit it with a dry chem extinguisher

This christening had been repeated several times at my old RC club

Something about a charred, oil stained, dry chem crusty stand that gives it personal character
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down