Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Huntersville Today Cox_ba12

Huntersville Today Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by rsv1cox Today at 7:04 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:43 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Huntersville Today Empty
Live on Patrol

Huntersville Today

Go down

Huntersville Today Empty Huntersville Today

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 pm

Balogh, in October 2017, wrote:I just read this thread Rusty and wish you recover quick..it is bad to be distanced from our hobby in any way but I am sure you will fly again soon.

Wow.
I just re-read this old thread, from which I copied Andras' above quote, and started to append the following. When it developed into a story, I decided to go ahead and post a new one. So here's the story of today's adventure:

I was so excited right up until the final hours before the big October contest, and KABOOM! it all went. And time passed so slowly over the dreary and bleak winter while my doubts grew and spirits sank. Now in April, 2018 the Spring Carolina Classic and the Joe Nall contests are 2 weeks, 6 days, 8 hours, and 13 minutes away and I'm still walking on a cane... when I can remember where I last left it... Because I need it less and less.

So what am I whining about? Nothing! I was rereading this thread about how stoked I was last fall about the upcoming contest and decided to include today's story with it.

At our March MCLS club meeting, I proposed that we invite Samantha Hines and her Dad Steve to come down from Michigan and do their warm weather practice flying in Huntersville, so 17(or 18) year old Sam can prepare for her trip to France as the Junior representative for the American team in the 2018 Control Line Precision Aerobatics World Championships this July. They accepted and have been here all week. I decided to drive up and meet them in person. I've gotten to know Steve and have also met Samantha a few times on my Stunthangar weekly Web show, and wanted to meet them in person.

So I chucked my old Shoestring Stunter in the car and drove up to H'ville today. When I got there she had fried the motor on her electric Vector practice plane, and Steve was rebuilding it. The magnets had come loose. We chatted and had some lunch. I figured I could do some practice judging if she was okay with it. She was, and I was excited to get to see this world-class Expert young woman fly. But after her takeoff and reverse wingover, entering the three inside loops, the motor crapped out. They were out of resources and Samantha's week of practice ended just like that.

Now we had little to do but chat some more, and Sam's a very interesting and engaging lady. Fun to talk with. I offered to let her fly the Shoestring but she declined. It would have been of no value as a practice plane anyway, but Steve wanted to see it fly. I was dubious, having no handle time since the middle if October and not even sure if I could turn circles. I'd not even done any dry-flying in the house. Steve offered to rig the lines up and do all the footwork. I had preflighted the airframe, flushed the tank, and burped the Max-S before lunch, so what the hell, gotta try sometime.

After 2 years of hanging in the shop... Ron Cribbs was the last one to fly it, it needled a little funky, but we'd short-tanked it, so I went on out to the handle and waved it off. It took off like a rocket as I roller-coastered it for a lap before I finally relaxed and leveled it out. She must have been flying 4 second laps but surprisingly I felt no pain and was balancing pretty well as the trees and clouds zoomed by. Hotdamn, I was flying again, Yaaaazoo! I started getting a little dizzy, so I stood still and did some long 180 degree lazy 8s. Then some loops and about 5 laps inverted. More lazy 8s and loops, inside and outside. I dared not try any balance-challenging wingovers or the like, but I had no problems with the simple stuff. I was getting about ready for it to suck air and it did finally burp in a loop, so I leveled out and flew laps... and got a touch of dizziness. I didn't want to do anymore 8s over the tarmac, but I finally had to, and just when it was in the worst attitude for it to happen, it shut off and the lines collapsed. Crap! I have not even tried walking backwards, much less trotting backwards. No way I was ever going to catch it. But reflexively I trotted 4 or 5 steps backwards and it hooked up just in time for me to grease in a no-bounce rolling landing. WhoooHoo! I did it!

Three weeks ago, I was still having occasional 3 day stretches when I could not walk without a cane, and wondering that was as good as it would ever be. Three weeks from now I'm going to enter a contest, and I think there's a reasonably good chance I'll be able to fly a pattern for the judges. Maybe I'll get lucky and put up 4 official flights over 2 days. Yet another "Rusty Come-Back" story. How 'bout that!

Rockin' Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Huntersville Today Empty Re: Huntersville Today

Post  NEW222 Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:13 am

Awesome update there Rusty! Thanks for sharing your update and progress. Best of luck in a couple of weeks for your contest.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:36 am

My gooodness Rusty I got dizzy by just simply reading your flight report....man you must be healing real quick and the hobby helps you recover even faster...thanks for sharing this and wish you are back in the circle even more often. András
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:42 am

Castor Oil has a profound medicinal effect Eyebrows
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:27 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Castor Oil has a profound medicinal effect Eyebrows

Rusty! I think Rod has nailed it. Nothin’ better than turning circles and dancing backwards to heal yourself! Slowly, carefully safely you will prevail. Congrats
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:54 am

Great news Rusty! Seems you had a very good day Thumbs Up

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Yep, Castor fueled Rusty, I hear it's an ol' time remedy. Turning circles is what's kept me alive for quite a while now. But these "I'm Back!" threads are coming more often than I'd like. I'd rather stay on the horse longer at a time, but I'll ride it until I can't. Thanks, guys.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 pm

RknRusty wrote:Yep, Castor fueled Rusty, I hear it's an ol' time remedy. Turning circles is what's kept me alive for quite a while now. But these "I'm Back!" threads are coming more often than I'd like. I'd rather stay on the horse longer at a time, but I'll ride it until I can't. Thanks, guys.
Rusty

Just as long as you're feeling good and the stories keep coming then everything else is not so important. Great story that brought a big smile to my face and made my day!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Time goes by fast, I remember Samantha just learning to fly the beginner pattern at Brodak's.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Great news/story Rusty!!! REALLY great that you got the save without your plane OR you crashing!

Like the other guys, I'll take the "I'm Back!" or "Still Here" check-in's. Teach 'the horse' to squat like a camel if you have to, but stay after 'em!!

Sometimes-a-little-wobbly-myself Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Way to go Rusty. Shake off those Winter blues!

It's Springtime and better days are ahead.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:59 pm

way to go Rusty, Glad to hear that story
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:33 am

Way to go Rusty , That does bring a smile to my face also , to hear you are not just setting there and refuse to let things get the best of you and best of luck at the contest !! sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Good stuff Rusty! This one's for you..

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Hey, you guys make me feel good too. Thanks.
Like a Camel, Lol, good one, I actually did laugh out loud at that. It was also good to get the old Shoestring out, my longest surviving stunter(not counting 1/2A), and still pretty too. Too bad about the lean run, the NV must've been gunky because it should run like it did in the movie I posted above of Ron flying it. That's what a 4-2 break ought to sound like in the dictionary.

I'll take the Yak-9 out sometime soon, it's been hanging up way too long and I might have a video of Ron flying it too. He gave me the kit and its Fox .35. My first flapped plane, and one of my coolest. I'll look-see if I have that video.
Rusty

Here it is

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down