Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Any wonder why I get confused!! Cox_ba12

Any wonder why I get confused!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 9:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 8:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 8:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:10 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 3:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 11:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 4:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Any wonder why I get confused!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Any wonder why I get confused!!

Go down

Any wonder why I get confused!! Empty Any wonder why I get confused!!

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:02 am

As I have done here before, I was musing over screw thread sizes as I often do, usually ending up in confusion, being far more acquainted with metric and fractional sizes than the sub-1/4" U.S. sizings.   Crazy Eyes

I came across this article and found it a really good read, making me realize that my ignorance on the matter is not just because I'm an Aussie.  Thumbs Up   It's an American article.

http://themetricmaven.com/?p=29
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Any wonder why I get confused!! Empty Re: Any wonder why I get confused!!

Post  edw Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:43 am

Makes sense to me. We already use the metric system. Don't believe me? How many pennies in a dollar? Dimes? Quarters? That's metric in its' basic form, and we use it every day.
edw
edw
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 am

edw wrote:Makes sense to me. We already use the metric system. Don't believe me? How many pennies in a dollar? Dimes? Quarters? That's metric in its' basic form, and we use it every day.
I wouldn't call decimal currency metric, just because it uses decimals.  There's an awfull lot more to it than just currency.  Actually, you also use decimals when describing incomplete inches.  Rather than stating fractions of an inch, you use decimals.  We've always stated fine measurements in "thou" (thousanths of an Inch) and that is still widely used.  If we go back to the imperial system originally used, we talk in fractions.  Gauge was never really used here to my knowledge, except in fencing wire and shotguns.  Why is that?  Who knows?

Decimal Currency was introduced in Australia in 1966, well before going metric.  I guess you get to understand what you grow up with, but my confusion/frustration comes about from the fact that screw measurements in the USA use two completely different measuring systems, changing from Gauge to fractional at 1/4".  That's the subject of the article I attached.  Just seems that I'm not the only one confused by this oddity.  

There's every chance that we do have equivalent screw threads to your U.S. ones here, most likely stated as UNC or UNF, but I'm yet to find a comparison chart to point me in the right direction.  We typically used Whitworth for many years, but as the TPI measurement is the same as UNC (apart from 1/2" for some odd reason, which is one thread coarser), we go with UNC now.  Some of my older Commonwealth built engines/machinery also use B.A. screws.  Now that gets confusing.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbasdog Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:53 am

Spare a thought for the keen souls intent on restoring old British motorcycles --- one bike can have up to SEVEN different thread-forms on it, according to an article I read. BSW, BSF, UNF, UNC, SAE, BA and CYCLE thread. Madness. I'll stick to Ducati, thanks!

Cheers, Rob
Robbasdog
Robbasdog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 am

I would give a great welcome to 049 crankshafts made with an M3 thread. The diameter is practically the same as 1/8" but the pitch is finer which makes the bolt fit stronger. And propeller bolts would be available worldwide.

Only advantages!!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:44 pm

OVERLORD wrote:I would give a great welcome to 049 crankshafts made with an M3 thread. The diameter is practically the same as 1/8" but the pitch is finer which makes the bolt fit stronger. And propeller bolts would be available worldwide.

Only advantages!!
If you want metric bolts, you could chuck the crank in a lathe and retap it to the next size up like maybe m 3.5. The tap drill size is 3mm which is only slightly smaller than the
#5:40 (1/8" stove bolt) tapped hole now. The crank may be hardened, but a torch on the end could cure that. Just let it get a bit past the blue colour to anneal it a bit. I think the integrity of the knurl might still be ok.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down