Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes Cox_ba12

Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by roddie Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Mon May 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes Empty
Live on Patrol

Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes Empty Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes

Post  NewBee Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Hello, I have an 0.049 RC Phoenix engine from EX Model Engines which I got for a flying wing (it's a long term project at this point).  This engine has a throttle ring, a.k.a an acceleration control ring, on it and I have read that these things can cause the engine to overheat at low speeds and at idle since.  Given the way they work, this seems very likely to happen if the engine is left to idle for any extended amount of time.  I was wondering if this undesirable engine heating could be delayed, or ideally eliminated, by increasing the quantity of caster oil in the fuels that are normally used.  I was planning on using Sig Champion 25, with 25% nitro and 20% oil, 10% caster and 10% synthetic, but now I am reconsidering that choice.  I am thinking of increasing the caster oil content to 12%-15%.  I am leaning towards 12% and possibly something with less nitro in it.  For now, let's suppose I'll use the Sig Champion 25 fuel.  I am aware that this will lead to the build-up of a varnish at a faster rate and so require more frequent engine cleaning, but if it offers a protective advantage, then that price is acceptable.  I would be interested in your opinions on this.  What oil percentage do you think would be desirable?

The increased caster oil quantity, since it will act as a coolant, is going to affect the idle.  Specifically, it should make slower idle speed less stable, forcing higher idling speeds.  It will also cool the glow head/plug at a faster rate.  What have you done to counteract this problem?  

Thanks
NewBee
NewBee

Back to top Go down

Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes Empty Re: Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes

Post  balogh Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:31 pm

I use home blended 60/20/20 fuel with all-castor and have very good idle without engine overheating.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes Empty Acceleration control rings etc

Post  rex f. Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:08 am

The only reason castor is used in cox engines is to
FORM varnish to protect the balljoint you should use
5% castor and 15% coolpower which contains all the
Ep additives you will ever need with the added bonus
Of less cylinderde varnishing this iwhat i use as the synthetic
Is virtually self cleaning
Rex f.
rex f.
rex f.
Banned

Back to top Go down

Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes Empty Re: Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:15 pm

rex f. wrote:The only reason castor is used in cox engines is to
FORM varnish to protect the balljoint you should use
5% castor and 15% coolpower which contains all the
Ep additives you will ever need with the added bonus
Of less cylinderde varnishing this iwhat i use as the synthetic
Is virtually self cleaning
Rex f.
So if the Coolpower cleans the varnish off the cylinder, what stops it from also cleaning it out of the ball joint?
I was led to believe that a certain amount of varnish was beneficial as it helped seal the piston to cylinder better.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:36 pm

I  could not agree more..all-castor varnish makes up for material losses due to wear and thus helps retain compression. Balljoint is protected by caked varnish. Hence I will never use any synthetic oil in COX fuels only castor. At least my experience confirms the theory.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rex f. Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:31 am

If you want to go slow an keep de varnishing your cylinders
Your problem if you want to go fast do as i have suggested &
I do go fast stop living in rhe past get with modern fuels & lubricants
As i have here is agood read for you r c groups Cox oil testing findings
Otherwise continue in your blind ways & antiquitated ways
Rex f .
rex f.
rex f.
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:41 am

Thanks for the encouraging words and your considerate way of expressing your opinion Rex..to each his own.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rex f. Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:05 am

Stop living in the past life is too short do the read as i have
Suggested & go in with your eyes & brain in gear
This is the only way i can can offer as the true solution
Is to stop the blind leading the blind especially when confronted
With effutable scientific evidence
Thanks for listening
Rex f.
rex f.
rex f.
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:25 am

I can assure you that is  the general spirit of this forum...never before your arrival, however, a member has referred to another one as idiot and blind  because of a different opinion. In my humble manners age, seniority and even expertise should not justify arrogant adjectives, let alone the expected politeness of newcomers. You may use whatever language you want but you will not find friends here with your introductory manners.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rex f. Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:45 am

Excellent i am sick or trying to communiicate wirh fools ,morons &
Those who are incapable of listening
Goodbye to the most ridiculous site i have ever hag the
Misfortune to contemplate belonging to
Rex f .
rex f.
rex f.
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:55 am

Well, it was "quick and dirty" as they say...good bye Rex.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:01 am

rex f. wrote:Excellent i am sick or trying to communiicate wirh fools ,morons &
Rex f .
While it's certainly ok to disagree, it is not ok by any decent person's standard to speak offensively about others, using words such as "fools" and "morons".  If you wish to behave offensively Rex, I suggest you find another group that finds your manner acceptable.  You won't find that acceptance here as we strive to be a group of decent, polite and tolerant people who don't claim to be the ultimate authority in everything such as you have done.  We don't need you.  Unfortunately I happen to be stuck in the same country as you are, but I'm thankful that attitudes such as yours are not typical of our countrymen. Thumbs Down
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:34 am

Rex you are only the second ever member in all my years here on CEFI I thought to ignore and hope moves along....you, old man, are a ....hat

Huh...
Sad Goodbye
Thumbs Down
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 am

rex f. wrote:Excellent i am sick or trying to communiicate wirh fools ,morons &
Rex f .

...exclaims the man who was puzzled by the "grey dot" and exits to the stage left.

Shocked
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Acceleration control rings, exhaust choking and engine heating, and fuel and oil mixes Empty RE:Acceleration control rings

Post  66 Malibu Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:47 am

rex.f is a textbook example of delusions of adequacy.
Now that he has graciously relieved us of his load, he may have time to get some overdue help for his anger issues.
AMF...
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:30 pm

I tried to stay clear of this, But now that our friend has decided to relief us of himself ( that clearly knows more than any of the people here that have ran and flown for years ) If your still Lurking Rex ole buddy here is a start for YOU .. https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_97.htm Please seak Help if not for you for the rest of the world ! This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum! Sad Goodbye
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:57 pm

I gave up on Rex after his second post.

Too bad, I think he had something to offer, he just presented it as if he was God's gift.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:36 pm

Hmmm, at least this moronic fool knows how to spell and use proper grammar.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:40 pm

You must be happy rex. No more grey dots. Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Yes obviously this person had a short fuse. However I could tell that they loved the Cox engine/hobby as we all do. There's no reason to be rude either way, period. Sad, never argue with a fool, cause there is no difference!!! Maybe he or she has some issues going on that we don't fully understand. All we can do now is wish e'm all good things and move on. Not defending this person what so ever!! I hate downer dribble!! Don't Worry be happy folks!! Onward and upward!!!! ,Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:03 pm

I feel bad for the original poster of this thread, NewBee, another newcomer. On behalf of us all, I want to apologise to them and explain that the type of behaviour demonstrated here is not normal or tolerated.
I hope NewBee sticks around and gets the information they're looking for.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:15 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:I feel bad for the original poster of this thread, NewBee, another newcomer.  On behalf of us all, I want to apologise to them and explain that the type of behaviour demonstrated here is not normal or tolerated.
I hope NewBee sticks around and gets the information they're looking for.

Rod.

I agree Rod, to bad Rex stepped in with his usual negative comments and as the last straw set us all off. I knew one day it would all come to a head.

Hang in here Newbee, better days are coming.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:16 pm

I believe that this is the same chap that proposed "Canola Oil" on the Barton site in a strange manner asnd then flipped at one of the responses.

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=179680&highlight=#179680
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:34 pm

getback wrote:I tried to stay clear of this, But now that our friend has decided to relief us of himself ( that clearly knows more than any of the people here that have ran and flown for years ) If your still Lurking Rex ole buddy here is a start for YOU .. https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_97.htm Please seak Help if not for you for the rest of the world ! This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum! Sad Goodbye
I opted out of this one too E.
Thought your response was perfect.
Peace, Bro, Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 pm

ian1954 wrote:I believe that this is the same chap that proposed "Canola Oil" on the Barton site in a strange manner asnd then flipped at one of the responses.

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=179680&highlight=#179680

Yep. Clearly same man and same manner. Seems we're not the problem. Let's put this to bed.

Anyone got any comments on the use of throttle rings?
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next