Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Several questions. Cox_ba12

Several questions. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Wed May 08, 2024 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Several questions. Empty
Live on Patrol

Several questions.

Go down

Several questions. Empty Several questions.

Post  7Mile Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:51 pm

1. Does the glow head have to be bright red to work, or can the glow be faint?

2. What’s the best way to clean a cylinder?

3. What’s the best way to attach the drive plate to the crank (disincluding screwing.)

4. Are there ways of obtaining more compression other than screwing tighter.

5. Can a control line plane be thrown or does it have to take off on its own? And do you pull upwards to make it take off, or do you use the bellcrank?

6. What do the dual bypass ports (as I believe they are called) do?

7. Is there a better way to keep the radiator attached to the head other than the screw? (It keeps vibrating off.)

8. Can too much air intake make the engine slower?

9. How do you attach the metal mesh to the air intake?

10. What’s the best way to clean reeds?

11. What is a good fuel mixture for good speed and a long life? (Babe Bee.)

12. If any of you know the model the Sandblaster (Baja racer) is there any way to repair a broken tread for the back wheel.

I hope I can have some questions answered, thanks!
7Mile
7Mile
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Several questions. Empty Re: Several questions.

Post  Marleysky Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:05 pm

7Mile wrote:1. Does the glow head have to be bright red to work, or can the glow be faint?  Yes,  faint glow means low heat and less likely to start

2. What’s the best way to clean a cylinder?
exterior I use soap and a stiff toothbrush, the interior ID Cox recommendations fine steel wool wrapped around a pencil to very gently remove varnish, remember to clean rinse and re-rinse to remove any stands of steel wool

3. What’s the best way to attach the drive plate to the crank (disincluding screwing.)
the best way is to follow the instructions using the Cox installation tool.https://coxengines.ca/assembly-tool-for-cox-.049-engines.html   in a pinch you can install a drive plate using a long prop screw and a propeller to press the drive plate on the splines of the crankshaft, making sure the driver stays flat against the prop as you screw it on. Opps, you didn’t want to use screwing, sorry, it can’t be done.

4. Are there ways of obtaining more compression other than screwing tighter.
Yes, but not easy, do you have access to a machine shop? If not, using two or three Cox copper head gaskets to lower the compression is the best way to start, then remove a gasket at a time to achieve optimum performance. Screwing tighter just makes it more difficult to remove glow head, use new gaskets and snug down tight to make a good seal, because used hardened gaskets make for poor sealing/leaks and low or no compression  

5. Can a control line plane be thrown or does it have to take off on its own? And do you pull upwards to make it take off, or do you use the bellcrank?
My you are new aren’t you?  Yes a plane can be hand tossed or ROG  rise of ground. If you haven’t watched any Control line flying on You tube, there are different styles of releasing a plane. Most instructions say to let the plane gain speed then slowly add UP elevator to let the plane take off, sometimes that won’t work if the “runway” isn’t smooth, flat and clear of obstacles. That’s when a hand toss is called for.  Once in the air holding the handle in your hand, give up or down inputs by raising or lowering your arm at the elbow. The movement of your handle transmits the changes to the bellcrank

6. What do the dual bypass ports (as I believe they are called) do?
breifly the ports allow more fuel/air mixture to enter the combustion chamber. They are  more involved than that but that’s a explanation for our experience experts to fill in.

7. Is there a better way to keep the radiator attached to the head other than the screw? (It keeps vibrating off.)
i have not had one vibrate off! Here’s were screwing down tight would be appropriate. Could be you have a “worn” glow head and the clamping of the heat sink just can’t grab it tightly.

8. Can too much air intake make the engine slower?
Yes. Air leaks are probably one of the most common problems, leak at the venturi inside the tank, leaks at the needle valve

9. How do you attach the metal mesh to the air intake?
I don’t know, never had any luck re installing a screen one it was removed.

10. What’s the best way to clean reeds?VERY CAREFULLY!   If you have a original copper reed I use a cloth soaked in old fuel, or alcohol 91% and wipe each leg of the star one at a time, being careful not to bend it,  the other reeds, mylar, and steel can be wiped clean the same way.

11. What is a good fuel mixture for good speed and a long life? (Babe Bee.)

25% nitro, 20% oil with at least 10% of the oil being Castor.
Glow plug boy, SIG are good choices.

12. If any of you know the model the Sandblaster (Baja racer) is there any way to repair a broken tread for the back wheel.
I don’t have any advice on this one......anybody else?

I hope I can have some questions answered, thanks!

Your new best friend is the SEARCH function on this site, you will be amazed and overwhelmed with answers and hints on how to improve your knowledge of these little engines.
Also, check out the INSTRUCTION sheets file located on the Left hand column of the page, tons of super info is located there, too.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  7Mile Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:43 pm

Marleysky wrote:

Your new best friend is the SEARCH function on this site, you will be amazed and overwhelmed with answers and hints on how to improve your knowledge of these little engines.
Also, check out the INSTRUCTION sheets file located on the Left hand column of the page, tons of super info is located there, too.

Thank you so much for the info!
7Mile
7Mile
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:47 pm

Well done Rene. Couldn't have answered better myself.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:58 am

There is a note at here about installing screens:

https://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-backplate-screen-3.html

Babe Bee .049
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:10 am

Ad 6.: in the Cylinder Identification table accessible in the left side field of this page you will see which cylinders come with dual bypass ports. The dual bypass as explained above by Marleysky helps a more complete charge and scavanging of the cylinder. If further improved by booster ports machined in the bypasses like in Nos 4&5 even more power is achieved. Later TD cylinders sold by COX International and Exmodelengines come with only 1 booster in each bypass port, machined on diagonally opposed sides of the bypass ports thus giving also a spin to the charge that helps even quicker and more efficient burning of the charge.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:02 am

Bravo Rene,

I looked at it, started typing and quickly realized that someone better informed than me would soon come along.

The only thing I would add is a .45 caliber brass bore brush available at any Walmart when used with a light oil very effectively removes varnish. It will remove cylinder burrs too when wrapped with 800/1000 grit wet or dry paper. Sounds aggressive but it worked great cleaning out the two "ugly" Cox engines with burred cylinders I recently posted about. Went from trash to engines with a "compression pop that any model engine enthusiast would be proud of."

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:03 am

Good job Marleysky .

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down