Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Please help my son restore this boat! Cox_ba12

Please help my son restore this boat! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sherline lathe wont run
by F4D Phantom II Today at 9:05 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by 706jim Today at 8:13 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Today at 5:59 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:26 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Please help my son restore this boat! Empty
Live on Patrol

Please help my son restore this boat!

Go down

Please help my son restore this boat! Empty Please help my son restore this boat!

Post  enoone001 Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:36 pm

Hello! My 10-yr-old son found this motorized model boat in a creek near our house. He and his friend desperately want to restore it, but we have no idea where to start. What kind of engine would it need? Where do we get the remote control? What kind of fuel powers it? We just need some basic advice to get started. See photos. Thank you!

Please help my son restore this boat! A9e6e910
Please help my son restore this boat! De7d2810
Please help my son restore this boat! A7ed4510
enoone001
enoone001

Back to top Go down

Please help my son restore this boat! Empty Re: Please help my son restore this boat!

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:10 pm

This forum only deals with engine powered small hobby boats:
https://www.rcgroups.com/racing-boats-internal-combustion-58/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t4B1DYErYU

Jim Walker's Miss Thriftway .8cc Tether Boat
- he was very well known in his time.
Still is by folks flying control line vintage kits or
reproductions and plans. Circa 1940's

Very rare early 1950's Tether boat.  Totally restored by R-C CRAFT Toy Boats.
It was just a beat up bare hull, no deck or running gear. I added everything you see,
including the dash gauges, steering wheel and deck vents and seat. I will be making a
few copy's of this later.

This guy restores them:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RBOJCK/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

Old Bugger Fishing sunny

Last edited by 1/2A Nut on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Please help my son restore this boat! Empty Re: Please help my son restore this boat!

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:21 pm

If you have no experience with engine powered models then I would suggest that you try to find a local club to assist.  This may be a model aeroplane club or R/C car club.  They may be able to help you run the engine, or at lease figure out if it can still be used.
The engine is an OK Cub .049B.  It needs special glow fuel to run, not gasoline.  Glow fuel (often simply called nitro) is a mix of methanol, oil and nitromethane.  For this engine, you will need fuel that contains castor oil and at lease 10%-15% nitro.
While a little rusty, the engine should clean up ok, but be careful not to contaminate the pull starter cord with solvent or other cleaners.
You need to realise that this engine is only designed to run flat-out.  It has no throttle.  If you're looking to make the boat radio controlled then throttle control would be necessary.

For what it's worth, I understand the excitement of your son, but practically, I would suggest that you turn this boat into a nice ornament and go out and get yourselves a simple cheap electric R/C boat.  Simply look up ebay or Hobbyking.  Even the local toy store probably has something.

I don't want to burst your bubble.  It would be fun to get it going, just not all that practical with your low level of experience with this stuff.  Finding someone to help is your best option under these circumstances.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:17 pm

Greetings and welcome to the Cox Engine Forum.
You don’t include any info in your avatar to indicate where your located.
Rod has pointed out some valid concerns about restoration of the vintage boat your son and friend have found VS purchasing a New Electric RC boat for instant gratification.
If you and your son want to learn about small 2 cycle nitro powered engines and also how to build and restore wood model boats you could have Two new hobbies to keep you entertained!
The boat looks like it could be a older Dumas Model. They are still in business and offer a good selection of kits and accessories to outfit your restoration project.
http://www.dumasproducts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1259

The OK cub engine also looks to be complete and just a bit rusty. Does it turn over or is it “stuck” ? If it’s stuck, a good soaking in hot anti-freeze should  loosen up the old castor oil,  if its rusted and stuck a more careful and cautious approach to disassemble with out breaking or stripping anything!  

Just be aware , to restore the boat to it’s original condition, like Rod indicated, it will run full speed, like the one in the video.  But if done with TLC and patience it could look like this: Please help my son restore this boat! D99d2110
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Please help my son restore this boat! 20190322
We will do all we can to help you, unless this a cat fishing boat???? More info would greatly appreciated . Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:40 pm

enoone001 wrote:Hello! My 10-yr-old son found this motorized model boat in a creek near our house. He and his friend desperately want to restore it, but we have no idea where to start. What kind of engine would it need? Where do we get the remote control? What kind of fuel powers it? We just need some basic advice to get started. See photos. Thank you!

Please help my son restore this boat! De7d2810

Please help my son restore this boat! A7ed4510

Could be off base, but it "appears" that the power plant for this boat may have originally been built for a battery powered motor and not gas powered.

From the limited images supplied, it has a "hint" of the Chris Craft Special, even though it is not.

Please help my son restore this boat! QpCGQAk
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Nice find! If the hull is solid, a good clean-up, possibly followed by some light sanding and fresh paint should make it look good. Maybe some balsa and thin plywood to build it to look a bit like the Chris Craft in Doc’s picture.

For the engine, there is plenty of discussion about freeing and cleaning them here on the forum. Should there be something broken beyond repair, I am sure some of the guys can help you find the necessary parts. Or you might want to go electric. Are you going to retrofit it with remote control or keep it as a free-going or tether?

It depends on the 10-year old, but this has a lot of potential to become a good learning project, still preferably done under adult supervision.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:52 pm

The potential is there, you just have to exploit it.  Juvenile minds are like sponges.  I showed my great grandson how to disassemble a Cox .049 just once and he repeated it perfectly.  But, your engine isn't so easy.  I would go electric and a two channel R/C set (throttle and rudder) with micro servos many found cheap on ebay.

Electrics are so much more friendly to boats than glow plug engines in many ways.   I have had both and electrics are much better.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down