Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Cox_ba12

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:26 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 8:21 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 8:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 7:55 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 6:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 4:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 3:42 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 2:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:34 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 10:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 9:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Empty
Live on Patrol

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor

Go down

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Empty P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor

Post  Newt Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi,

I am new to the forum but wanted to throw this out there.  I recently purchased this P-40 Flying Tiger at an estate sale.  Had some Cox stuff when I was a kid and thought it would be a cool little winter project to tinker with.  The motor is seized and I am in the process of getting it freed up.  In terms of the body it has a little love as pictured but really not too bad.  Is restoration of these a no no like in some other hobbies/collectables?  It looks like they reproduce the stickers and maybe I could figure a way to repair the cracks but then I guess I would need to repaint.  In any case wanted to see what this community thinks.  Any information on this plane would be appreciated.  I did a little research and think its an early piece like 1959 or 1960.  And perhaps there was a first issue and a reissue of this model?

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Img_3713
P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Img_3714
P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Img_3715
Newt
Newt
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Empty Re: P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor

Post  Newt Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:06 pm

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Img_3721
P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Img_3722
P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Img_3723
Newt
Newt
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Empty Re: P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:02 pm

Looks to be in very nice but not mint condition.  Check the engines markings closely, some are marked 40 or P-40.   Testor's red tube cement would work well to heal the cracks, carefully applied, let set overnight.  

Some good reading here:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6703-coxp-40-warhawk-flying-tiger

Lots of these around, enjoy it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Newt Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:21 pm

Thanks! The engine is stamped 40.
Newt
Newt
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:31 am

Newt wrote:Thanks!  The engine is stamped 40.
I haven't seen one with just "40" stamped. They normally have "P-40" on the cylinder which indicates that it was an engine exclusively made for the P-40 aircraft. Sort of proof that the plane still has its original engine.
The P-40 was a heavy model so the P-40 engine had the power bumped up to help overcome the weight issue.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:50 am

I have a couple Rod. Sometimes the "P" is so lightly stamped that you cannot see it without a glass.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:12 am

Welcome to the Forum , The P40 is in pretty good shape , Go ahead and clean the engine . Heck mount it on a piece of wood and run it that will bring back some memories , of coarse after you get the stuff to do this you will be hooked to go fly LOL I would start with something cheaper ! Snowman
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Newt Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Thank you....yeah just what I need, another hobby to spend money on! I am seriously thinking about getting it running though. I was able to free the piston last night, and I already ordered new gaskets.
Newt
Newt
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Newt Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:59 am

In terms of Decals do most folks opt to keep original or swap out for new ones? Does it affect value that much?
Newt
Newt
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:53 am

It actually should be flown. But my experience with these heavy plastic models is that crash damage can be severe.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:41 am

Newt wrote:In terms of Decals do most folks opt to keep original or swap out for new ones?  Does it affect value that much?
Makes it look better of coarse but the value is in how broken it is and the BOX is alot of it . Some of us print our own from home on water slide paper and spray with conditioner to preserve/fuel proof. https://www.google.com/search?q=p40+warhawk+decals&sxsrf=AOaemvI8ULEeRcoNtnIHPUi54kF2r9KyYw:1639741209089&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQ9KmC4Or0AhWdmWoFHYAcCSsQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1493&bih=775&dpr=1.13 Lighting The Tree
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:00 pm

That’s a nice example of an early P-40! I have a newer one, with the engine installed upright, in pretty good shape and have been thinking about whether to restore it, customize it or just leave it as it is.

The good thing with these models is that they were built by thousands, so whatever you do, you are not going to ”ruin” anything unique or extremely valuable. The models that still remain in their original box are the most valuable, but a model without the box and with some damage or even signs of handling are valued a lot less.

It’s yours, so you can do whatever you want with it Smile I am considering painting the canopy framework on mine, and maybe the wheel hubs too. I already fitted a red spinner (instead of yellow) as the original was missing. With a model like yours, I would be very tempted to replicate the paint scheme of the RAF P-40’s that fought in the Mediterranian. Darker brown camo pattern over the existing tan, maybe some sky blue on the underside, some extra detailing, RAF insignia with the shark-mouth... On the other hand the model is quite charming as it is, with the patina and all.

Let us know what you decide to do with it Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:48 pm

I like the way Kari thinks....shelf queen or back yard fun....fix er up and make look like the war bird it is

I am partial to Flying Tigers China paint scheme

The First American Volunteer Group (AVG) of the Republic of China Air Force, nicknamed the Flying Tigers, was formed to help oppose the Japanese invasion of China. Operating in 1941–1942, it was composed of pilots from the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC), Navy (USN), and Marine Corps (USMC), and was commanded by Claire Lee Chennault. Their Curtis P-40B Warhawk aircraft, marked with Chinese colors, flew under American control.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:42 pm

The P-40 is one of the better of the scale models from Cox (power-off glide-wise, which is how I judge them).

It and the Stuka have excellent glides compared to my poor Mustang, which can never be dived hard enough to give airspeed for a non-wing-removing impact at a touch down.

My P-40 is experiencing the wingroot trauma you'd expect over time (especially with grass landing/tumbles), and has lost most of the "cuff" that holds the wing to the fuse, but it's hanging in there.

Still, if they can be landed on smooth dirt or (gasp!) pavement, they have enough wing area for a decent flair.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Newt Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:12 am

Thanks for all the replies!  I think I will keep it as is.  I put new gaskets in and reassembled the motor and will likely try to start it at some point.  Is there a special glow plug battery clip on these since the motor is inverted?
Newt
Newt
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:09 am

Welcome to the forum, Newt!

I think you will find the decals will get ruined even as a static test stand for the engine. If you have storage space and desire to fly, my recommendation is to make this a shelf model and build a profile P-40 trainer. That way you can (re?)discover CL flying without the fear of smashing this model into pieces. Once you outgrow the trainer, you may fly this one with a better chance of success. I won't suggest which path you take...even collectible liquors are only collectible in a bottle until consumed, and yet they are best enjoyed only at consumption-once!

There are several profile models that fit the "trainer" application, and will fly much better than your plastic model. However, if you are hard-set on flying a P-40 Cox-engine powered model, please check out DPC Models (no financial interest). He may still be producing "short-run" (not many at a time) "short-kits" (long balsa may need to be purchased locally):
http://dpcmodels.homestead.com/SRKS.html

I have threads here regarding Scientific Red Tiger (kit #SCI-149) and the Scientific P-40 Warhawk (kit #SCI-192). The second one will out-fly the first one and your plastic model hand's down! I believe the first one will fly better than your plastic one only because it will be lighter. Neither will be a significant investment except for time and paint. Use your engine in one of these first. Should Mr. Cowell not be producing kit any more, I have the patterns for the 192-kit. They can be emailed.

The Cox glowplug clip is good for your particular application because you don't need to fumble around disconnecting it once the engine is running. Just grab hold of the wires and pull away from the prop, even while on the ground. A real "snap-click" clip can found, but I don't think I'd use it in your inverted-engine application:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t15412-solvedmost-efficent-glowhead-clip-for-norvel-engine

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Oh yeah:
https://youtu.be/osxQfIvjS3E
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:51 am

Jim gives good advice. I would shelve that P-40 and just look at it. Not a bad option.

The worst balsa plane still flys better than the best plastic one in my opinion. I started out flying 1/2A balsa "hollow logs" and was amazed at the difference when I move up to big boy planes. I don't have the experience of a Kim or Ken, but this P-40 by Sterling is a great easy stunter that flys great.

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor P-40_e11
P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor P-40_111
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:07 am

Bob,

It sure we be good to see your Sterling P-40 as it is now side-by-side with the old picture. Smile
I saw one "in the box" on eBay the other day, but it has gone up past where I'll grab it!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:26 am

944_Jim wrote:Bob,

It sure we be good to see your Sterling P-40 as it is now side-by-side with the old picture. Smile  
I saw one "in the box" on eBay the other day, but it has gone up past where I'll grab it!

Smile Smile

Only picture that I could find of it on short notice.  

I flew the pants off that thing, picture is during my first restoration.  Fixed it up, flew it some more, tore it down and redid it again.  It's around here somewhere.

Bob

Edit add:

Couldn't find a picture so I got my camera and went up to the loft, not there!  Then I remembered:  Basement.

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor P1012369

Clean as a whistle.  I don't think I have flown it in years.

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor P1012370
P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor P1012371
P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor P1012372

Kim says he likes P-40's in Chinese markings, gives it some validation.  

Still have this unflown critter too:

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor P1012373
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Newt Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:48 pm

Some good advice above for sure!  My plan is to put it on the shelf, I just want to start it to hear it run at some point.

Thanks everyone for the input and good advice.

Going to keep it as is no new decals.....
Newt
Newt
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Newt Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:50 pm

P-40 Flying Tiger Restore or Keep as Survivor Img_3811
Newt
Newt
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:58 pm

Wise choice. It's a good looker.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:21 pm

Wowzer...what a looker you have there, Newt!

Bob, you make me miss my Mossie. My phone pictures app just reminded me I totalled it two years ago yesterday. This HAS been a fast two years!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down