Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? Cox_ba12

I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Today at 3:25 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 2:48 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 12:38 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? Empty
Live on Patrol

I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff?

Go down

I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? Empty I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff?

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:41 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223615921714

or go with his 35%? Run straight from the bottle or add castor?

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? Empty Re: I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff?

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Bob. Fitz fuels you pictured is a very good quality fuel. I've been having great success using it. There's always Sig, when they have it. One fuel that I have noticed that's taken the front seat is Ritch's brew. Randy Ritch has been sponsoring the NATS with his fuels and I've been able to receive many samples of it. I like it the most I just have to work out the shipping issues as this is proving to be very expensive. I go through 2 gallons of high nitro a season and 6 gallons annually of stunt fuel between my son and I. I bought the fuel you show on EBAY 2 months ago and already I'm into the second quart with only a half left. I went with the 24% nitro and I have experienced no issues using it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? Empty Re: I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff?

Post  944_Jim Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:05 pm

Bob,
According to the auction picture, it is 18% castor, 2% synth...that's 20% total. I'd run it straight from the bottle.

Of course, YMMV.

I will say I do fuel a little different than the other guys. Truggie fuel, low oil Helo fuel and castor. All mixed up using a spreadsheet that takes the known values from two fuels, a known quantity of castor, and gives you the overall numbers. Adjust any one of the three and watch the total numbers change.

I buy the helo fuel by the gallon, the high nitro truggie fuel by the quart, and the castor was last purchased by the quart. I still have plenty of the gallon, and am about to start in on the second quart of truggie fuel. My first 6 ounce of castor (from Walmart pharmacy) just got used up.

Why do I do this? To beat shipping charges! I "think" I'm saving about $8/qt by the time all is said and done.

So far, no Norvel , AP, or Cox engine failures.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks guys,

The glowplugboy fuel seems a good value, but 18% Klotz +2% synthetic? Maybe I should add a bit more of my SIG castor to it but I'm always confused as to how much.

I have a quart of Brodak 5% but I'm saving it for my larger displacement engines. I have run Cox engines on 10% Traxx with added castor, but never thought they ran to their full potential on that fuel..

I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? P9230010

Last of my Cox fuel sits in that fueler. Ran this little made-up thin wall I put together a couple of years ago. Original metal star reed and a cylinder out of a P-40. Started first flip running backwards then burped back to proper rotation. Did that a couple of times, each running irregular for a few seconds. After about five of these the reed loosened up and it ran fine, running all the fuel out of the tank.

I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? P9210010

It will go into my work in progress Muscaino Super Sabre rebuild. Gave up on the .020 / Space Bug Jr idea. Don't think they would pull it around.
I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? P9210011
I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? P9210012

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:32 pm

The local HOBBYTOWN USA in my neck of woods sells various VP brand fuel mixtures for cars or planes. That would be Mason Ohio. 513 738 1576  Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi Robert, I've been running "Sig" Champion 1/2A fuel in my Cox engines.. ever since Cox's glow-fuel became unavailable to me. When was that? .... I'll say sometime in the early 1990's.

I've always purchased Sig's 1/2A "Champion" fuels by the QUART.. which has avoided paying a HAZMAT fee.. which is assessed on gallons.

My most-recent Sig fuel order was Feb. 2018.. for X2 quarts of Champion 25 (25% nitro) X2 quarts of Champion 35 (35% nitro) and X1 quart of Sig AA Castor Oil.. (used to be Baker's..)

I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? 2018_f11
I have run out of Cox 25 and 35%, is this the good stuff? 2018_f12

The plastic bottles seem to be the same construction as they were.. 30 some-odd years ago, and I still have some of that old fuel.. which will still get a tired old engine running.

In a nutshell; I support Sig Manufacturing Co. as one of the very few model-airplane manufacturers remaining in business; that continue to cater to the internal-combustion engine modeler; be it C/L or R/C.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Nothing wrong with Sig or Glowplugboy fuels. If I weren't so painfully cheap, I'd go that proven route...proven by time and word of mouth! I do agree with the need for castor, so using either of those fuels gets a guy what his engines need with no real downside.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:26 pm

Taking a look at official Cox docs gives the numbers designed for these engines. You can't go wrong buying or blending to meet LM Cox numbers. Anything else, well, YMMV.

I just checked the downloads section. There are fuels make-up sheets for the official Cox blends. The 18% castor and 2% Dow lube lines up with the stuff near the top of this thread.

Look under "Information sheets," find the section titled "Other Cox related documents, " and read the three fuel mix docs (Glow Power, Flight Power, Race Power fuel formula sheets). In each instance 18% castor, 2% "Dow lube," while the methanol/nitro content gets adjusted up and down around the same oil percentages. I suspect Dow lube was (is?) synthetic.

Keep spinning, keep smiling! Keep crashing, keep new ships! No matter what, just try to keep these old engines happy!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:04 pm

944_Jim wrote:

I will say I do fuel a little different than the other guys. Truggie fuel, low oil Helo fuel and castor. All mixed up using a spreadsheet that takes the known values from two fuels, a known quantity of castor, and gives you the overall numbers. Adjust any one of the three and watch the total numbers change.

I buy the helo fuel by the gallon, the high nitro truggie fuel by the quart, and the castor was last purchased by the quart. I still have plenty of the gallon, and am about to start in on the second quart of truggie fuel.

You're not on your own Jim.  Over here I doubt you'd find any of the fuel brands that you guys talk about, and no-one makes fuel suitable for 1/2A/Cox engines.  Any shops local to me only stock car/buggy fuel.  Occasionally the one local toy shop who stocks anything aeromodelling-wise has a 25%-50% off sale for a day or two.  I buy 4 litres of car fuel which is 16% nitro and, after contacting the manufacturer, 18% oil including 2% castor.  (They were reluctant to give up their formula).  I add castor up to 25% total oil and if I want higher nitro I ad that as well using my favorite on-line fuel mix calculator.  Seems to work fine for me and is much easier and economical than trying to find the right commercial mix.  9% of the mix is castor and 16% synth, so I'm more than happy that my engines will be well protected and kept clean.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down