Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 8:15 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 7:43 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:48 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 8:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 6:59 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 1:26 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:43 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 9:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 9:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 9:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Mon May 13, 2024 8:37 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz--

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 2 Empty Re: Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz--

Post  --Oz-- Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:51 am

With some more thought (and zero testing data, haha), the constant resistance statement is semi bull (sales bs), why, you can't measure resistance when current is flowing in a  circuit (the glow plug), BUT you can simply watch voltage drop on the plug and this equates to constant resistance, but you can measure current flow and voltage drop (equaling to wattage), with this info you can control the plugs heat during normal operation and during flooding with simple with CV/CC. The number one problem I had was, when the plug is flooded, I had the CC set way to low (to protect the plug which is unnecessary when the plug is flooded, so I need to raise the current up way higher than I expected (I expected ~2.2A, but really needs ~5+ amps when the plug is flooded, this quickly burns off the flooded plug, exactly like the rcats driver).

I am predicting that when setup correctly a CV/CC setup is just as good as any unit. EDIT: it will not have the 5 second delay or the auto turn off feature. I was thinking of doing it with a $3 arduino nano and fet instead of a buck converter.

If someone wants sends me one (rccats), with a simple scope and current probe will revile the rcats method.

Last edited by --Oz-- on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=91160

Back to top Go down

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 2 Empty Re: Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz--

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:57 am

A good CV glow "driver" is only about $27, complete with battery, charger and clamp, not sure why you want to reinvent the wheel here?

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 2 Dyn19210
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:10 am

Oz, how can you measure voltage drop on glow plug element? Do you add a resistor in series to glow plug to measure?
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 am

It is a standard four probe measurement, I guess.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:38 am

Surfer_kris wrote:A good CV glow "driver" is only about $27, complete with battery, charger and clamp, not sure why you want to reinvent the wheel here?
Can you give a link to that driver, I can't read the name from the picture? tia
You asked why, because I like technical challenges, it makes me think and learn (same reason I spun the magnet to 3.8Mrpm). I have already learned from the feedback from the posts here and some quick testing. The reason I like racing is, it's very technical (setup) and it's a real time challenge (controlling the vehicle at the limit).

Levent Suberk: Oz, how can you measure voltage drop on glow plug element? Do you add a resistor in series to glow plug to measure?
simply a voltmeter across the plug, but in the circuit it would be a comparator (or dc-dc Vfb point), comparing to a adjustable voltage (somewhere around 1.2~1.35V). I am used to driving lasers and high powered LED's (both are diodes), the light output is based on the the current (and a little on temp), so my first guess was to just use CC, after some posts and my tests, this was a wrong guess (I need to change the thread name to CV/CC).

Surfer_kris: It is a standard four probe measurement, I guess.
Correct, like I showed in a few posts back. I used the 4 probes to isolate the plug connector resistance from the plug resistance. This gives the most accurate method, but with a good plug connection and decent gauge wire, this is not needed, exactly like rcats does not do.

About the CV voltage setting, a lot of plug drivers just use a sub-c nicd or nimh single cell, both are pretty low impedance (low IR), so they can deliver 50+ amps if shorted, but with ~0.5Ω resistance they can still deliver several amps.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:34 pm

The picture shows the Lipo driven, CV regulated driver from from dynamite rc.
Here is some more info: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/cars-and-trucks/pit-equipment/miscellaneous-15155--1/li-po-glow-driver-with-battery-and-charger-dyn1926
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:The picture shows the Lipo driven, CV regulated driver from from dynamite rc.
Here is some more info: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/cars-and-trucks/pit-equipment/miscellaneous-15155--1/li-po-glow-driver-with-battery-and-charger-dyn1926

Thanks for the link. Looks like a CV regulator (it may or may not have CC mode), the voltage seems a bit high at 1.5V (some plugs are designed around 1.2V). There was a recall for a battery issue (could be a charging issue), reading the reviews, most are negative (but, thats mostly the only ones reviewing it.

Depending on the design of these buck regulators, some have output short circuit protection (OSC), overcurrent protection (OCP). Most regulators with CC mode, it's totally fine to short the output (generally, that is how you set the limit you want). Some cheap chinese dont have these protection and when shorting the output, they let out the smoke.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:09 pm

I've never had any plug designed for 1.2V, they all work better at 1.5V. That's why the small handheld NiMh batteries ones have to be fully charged in order to work well. The performance is quite quickly reduced from there as they approach their nominal voltage value. The Lipo battery ones will work just the same through out its charged state though, as the voltage output is always at 1.5V.

So why do you want to make a CV regulator when they are readily available? I don't see any technical challenge?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:08 pm

I guess some people must get off on all this tech stuff, but in the time it's taken to have this discussion, I could have built the plane, gone to the supermarket and bought my pair of $3 alkaline D cells, wired them up, fired up the engine and enjoyed a number of flights and happily fallen down dizzy a few times, although I think this discussion has made me dizzier than any control line flight I've had.
Crazy Eyes
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:27 pm

Not to offend any forum friends, but I'm
with you, Rod. Lets get a drink. Beer Cheers
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:I've never had any plug designed for 1.2V, they all work better at 1.5V. That's why the small handheld NiMh batteries ones have to be fully charged in order to work well. The performance is quite quickly reduced from there as they approach their nominal voltage value. The Lipo battery ones will work just the same through out its charged state though, as the voltage output is always at 1.5V.

So why do you want to make a CV regulator when they are readily available? I don't see any technical challenge?

A couple weeks ago, I had the idea CC would be better (and I just explained why CV is better a couple posts ago). What fun is buying one for $25 when you can build one for much less and probably better that what the $25 would of got me.

I have to burn a hour of my time on work days for lunch, I choose to do my hobbies during this time (build/test/repair/research/invent or flying). In 2017 I got 250 hours in the air flying with my high preformance quad, 90% was before work and at lunch, the rest on the weekends, so it's not like I am cutting into my flying time as I do research. Different strokes for different folks.

I did a little CV testing, I did not want to go above 1.300V on my 049 plug, it was very bright (maybe because I was indoors), easily enough to start a motor, but I was bypassing the leads (remote sense). I also checked how much voltage drop on the wires and plug connector at 2A, this was with twice the diameter wire than stock wire (0.044" vs 0.022" diam, this is 3 times less resistance than stock wire), it was ~200mV, that is pretty significant (~17%). The style w/o wires has some benefit in this department. Also looking just at the cleaned up connector to plug voltage drop at 2A was 25 to 75mV (12mΩ to 37mΩ).
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:27 pm

dckrsn wrote:Not to offend any forum friends, but I'm
with you, Rod. Lets get a drink. Beer Cheers
Bob

Not being critical of anyone.  No!  I'm just baffled by all the tech jargon.  My brain just gets constipated with all this information, when I could be going outside and having some old-man fun.  Life's too short to speculate.  Gotta get doing!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:42 pm

Nothing implied, Rod. My bad. Mad
I was trying to relate. Sometimes topics
get so deep for me(tech-wise), that the
room starts to spin. Oh, to be young and
sharp again. Alas.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:55 pm

I am in the 50's now, the older I get the faster I was Very Happy Started RC gliders in 76 with the gentle lady, got into power in 78, started racing rc on=road cars in 81, a lot of slope combat gliders, tried heli's 8 years ago (single gyro), I did not like the expensive and lengthy repairs, tried quads 6 years ago. they are the most technical (electronics/FW/setup and flying), with 6 processors on board, 100+ adjustable parameters, and quite a few adjustments in the new esc's. I pitched in with feedback/suggestions and dataflash logs to help improve the flight control firmware (betaflight). It has been exciting and rewarding time in all my 4 decades of RC, I love the technical side of quads, being able to dial them in to preform to my liking and then pushing them to the limit (just about any direction any time). I do miss racing cars at the top level (dialing them in and driving), but I dont have the time for that anymore and I am just to old now. Everybody has fun differently, fly on.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:17 am

Very good videos you have. Other than the subject of this topic, this is a very skillfull move:

https://youtu.be/AsRErPnkb8I?t=62
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:49 am

--Oz-- wrote:
A couple weeks ago, I had the idea CC would be better (and I just explained why CV is better a couple posts ago). What fun is buying one for $25 when you can build one for much less and probably better that what the $25 would of got me.

I suggest that you do some reading up on the subject then, it is the ignorant attitude that I find very strange. People where designing some very good drivers already in the 70-ties. These would regulate on the temperature (resistance) of the glow plug filament. A DYI circuit board with a few components, lots of fun to be had compared to buying a chinese IC that is only CV/CC. Wink

I don't recall anyone using CC, while CV is fine if one knows how to prime an engine correctly.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:
--Oz-- wrote:

I suggest that you do some reading up on the subject then, it is the ignorant attitude that I find very strange. People where designing some very good drivers already in the 70-ties. These would regulate on the temperature (resistance) of the glow plug filament. A DYI circuit board with a few components, lots of fun to be had compared to buying a chinese IC that is only CV/CC. Wink

Thanks for the insult.  Very Happy

I prefer not to just copy someone (specially from 50 years ago), I like to invent for the better of the hobby, different strokes.

I just started this thread for creating a "possible" better glow plug igniting solution (via CC) and commenting on what I thought would work best for glow plug driver and why I thought so, all of them are valid (CC does solve all the IR drops on connections and wire) all open for comments/suggestions), except the glow plug properties that I did not completely know till some testing. I am learning.

My $4 cv/cc 20A converter with a couple of 18650 2600mAH cells for $4 will easily compete with a $26 store bought uint for a third of the price, what fun is that?
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:20 am

I got some good results with some quick testing today with CV/CC (with correct settings), cleared a flood (one drop) in less than 4 seconds.

EDIT: Anyone test a RCATS driver how long it takes to clear a flooded plug? I used a eye dropper and used one drop for my test.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:48 am

OZ,
This is really neat! I'm going to re-read the whole thing one more time. I feel like I missed the bottom-line points. Then I may ask intelligent questions.

Please don't hesitate to add to this thread.

Jim in MS
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:13 am

@ 944_Jim, thanks. Soon I will post a summary of what I have found, no need to reread the thread.

I have gotten side tracked on a telescope project I started last year, it's both HW/FW issue, I am fixing the flawed focus/collimation 3 servo motor/encoder firmware runaway issue. Been reverse engineering it (schematics) and troubleshooting where the flaws are in HW and FW.
Here is a couple of 10", 12" and a 14" in my garage, all rcx400 except the center one is lx200gps. To many projects, not enough time.
Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 2 Scopes10
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:55 pm

944_Jim wrote:OZ,
This is really neat! I'm going to re-read the whole thing one more time. I feel like I missed the bottom-line points. Then I may ask intelligent questions.

Please don't hesitate to add to this thread.

Jim in MS

I updated the 1st post with a summary, take a look.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:46 pm

I reread this thread to remember what was said and what I learned.

It's interesting how many new things are invented each year, and how many are improved on.

Seems a few dont like new tech or new ways to do something, that is fine, by why complain about it, a lot of good guys on this forum and some just dont like tech or change or maybe its something else. Why reinvent the wheel, because the wheel (or motor or prop or whatever) can be made better and also lower cost.

The $100+ glow lighter has its place, it can clear a plug quick, thats for sure, in a situation like racing or competition, clearing a plug quick can be very helpful.
Blasting the plug with a lot of current to clear the plug maynot be helping the life of the plug, but in racing who cares, you're in a hurry and $ dont matter.
That's would be the same guy that floods the plug that "knows what he is doing" Smile

The CV/CC with correct settings has many benefits over CV, and if built correctly is way less cost than a purchased unit.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:25 am

--Oz-- wrote:I got some good results with some quick testing today with CV/CC (with correct settings), cleared a flood (one drop) in less than 4 seconds.

EDIT: Anyone test a RCATS driver how long it takes to clear a flooded plug? I used a eye dropper and used one drop for my test.

Happy 2023! lol. This one has legs. Still using My old Rcats. It will light a plug/head submerged in water or fuel. It reads that resistance and slowly pours on the juice(to 1.8v on mine that's adjustable) and lights the plug in a couple seconds maybe. So it's clearing the plug in seconds lets say. The more resistance is read in the plug, the more juice is added. Weather you are racing or not, this is handy as heck when your at the field and have stuff ready to fly, and want to fly. The website is still up it seems. I think you can still get them. It's not cooking Cox heads or glow plugs, at least not my stuff. Haven't lost one yet on that driver.

Picked up a ProBoat Blackjack 42 Catamaran and getting that up to 100 mph(92 so far), so I am embracing the new tech to a extent. My Nitro stuff is crying in the corner,,but we will wipe tears soon. I still have 2 cases of fuel waiting patiently, in the dark and cool.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:51 pm

PV Pilot wrote:
--Oz-- wrote:I got some good results with some quick testing today with CV/CC (with correct settings), cleared a flood (one drop) in less than 4 seconds.

Happy 2023!  lol.  This one has legs.   Still using My old Rcats.  It will light a plug/head submerged in water or fuel.  It reads that resistance and slowly pours on the juice(to 1.8v on mine that's adjustable) and lights the plug in a couple seconds maybe.  So it's clearing the plug in seconds lets say. The more resistance is read in the plug, the more juice is added.   Weather you are racing or not, this is handy as heck when your at the field and have stuff ready to fly, and want to fly.  The website is still up it seems. I think you can still get them.   It's not cooking Cox heads or glow plugs, at least not my stuff.   Haven't lost one yet on that driver.

Picked up a ProBoat Blackjack 42 Catamaran and getting that up to 100 mph(92 so far), so I am embracing the new tech to a extent.  My Nitro stuff is crying in the corner,,but we will wipe tears soon.  I still have 2 cases of fuel waiting patiently, in the dark and cool.

When the plug is cold or flooded, its resistance is lower (not the other way around) as seen in my graph I posted.
I already posted 1 drop flood took less than 4 seconds to clear (probably similar to the catz).
Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 2 Glow_p11

That huge boat doing 50 would be awesome, but 90+, hell ya!!
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:22 pm

--Oz-- wrote:
PV Pilot wrote:

Happy 2023!  lol.  This one has legs.   Still using My old Rcats.  It will light a plug/head submerged in water or fuel.  It reads that resistance and slowly pours on the juice(to 1.8v on mine that's adjustable) and lights the plug in a couple seconds maybe.  So it's clearing the plug in seconds lets say. The more resistance is read in the plug, the more juice is added.   Weather you are racing or not, this is handy as heck when your at the field and have stuff ready to fly, and want to fly.  The website is still up it seems. I think you can still get them.   It's not cooking Cox heads or glow plugs, at least not my stuff.   Haven't lost one yet on that driver.

Picked up a ProBoat Blackjack 42 Catamaran and getting that up to 100 mph(92 so far), so I am embracing the new tech to a extent.  My Nitro stuff is crying in the corner,,but we will wipe tears soon.  I still have 2 cases of fuel waiting patiently, in the dark and cool.

When the plug is cold or flooded, its resistance is lower (not the other way around) as seen in my graph I posted.
I already posted 1 drop flood took less than 4 seconds to clear (probably similar to the catz).
Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 2 Glow_p11

That huge boat doing 50 would be awesome, but 90+, hell ya!!
It is a huge boat, that needed attention right out of the box, But alot of fun.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next