Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Scale nitpicking Cox_ba12

Scale nitpicking Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 8:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Scale nitpicking Empty
Live on Patrol

Scale nitpicking

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scale nitpicking Empty Scale nitpicking

Post  OhBee Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Would it be sacrilage to paint the stripes on the rudder of a mint late 60's PT-19 that came all yellow? The anal scale modeler in me is sick of looking at it.....just not right........too late!...base white coat is already applied . There are lines molded in the rudder for the proper 13 stripes.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Scale nitpicking Empty Re: Scale nitpicking

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:32 pm

I think you'll have to remember that not all features were incorporated in the production models because of cost. If they can sell it successfully without all the cosmetic bells and whistles (appearance points) and undercut competition, then there is no need to add this additional detail.

Are you attempting for historical purity, or something for self satisfaction that still qualifies as a historical article?

Will it really matter 20 years from now?

Today I see antique cars painted with modern multipart and multicoat paints that are much more shiny than the original article, but people still appreciate them as historic pieces, and with modern solid state instead of the valve (tube) radios, modern aftermarket air-conditioning, and etc.

For most, their grandchildren will not appreciate the collectibles as much as their grandparents did. We see time and time again estate sales where the collectible engines and planes go for next to nothing, only to have an E-Bay seller make money off them. Their grandchildren have no real interest in them, except may be one or 2 items here or there.
So, it is up to you. You can't take it beyond the grave with you. Popcorn Airplane drunken sunny
Plus remember, the older I get, the more cantankerous I get.  Old Bugger lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:38 pm

If you want it that way...just DO it!! It is yours to enjoy as you want. I think the colored striped ones were a sticker that could be printed or purchased. If you do paint it, don’t worry, soaking in brake fluid will allow removal of the paint. lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:51 pm

Ya...I see the later ones came with stickers for the rudder...but not the proper number of stripes!  I just think it should look proper...awfull lot of unbroken yellow with my yellow fuselage. Something to do besides shovel snow. :It'll probably never get flown, but I have to look at it! Wink
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:22 pm

Just do it. Unless you plan to sell it at a profit, who cares what it might do to the auction price on eBay. It's value will be greatly increased to the only one that matters.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 am

Dave P. wrote:Just do it.  Unless you plan to sell it at a profit, who cares what it might do to the auction price on eBay. It's value will be greatly increased to the only one that matters.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uncle Wayne's Stuka wasn't very "collectible' back in 1968 when he customized it's rudder, but it sure is VERY special to his goofy nephew all these decades later!

It's your plane...make it what you want it to be!

Scale nitpicking 10_37
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 am

A collectible is worth money only if you sell it. But then, I guess it's no longer a collectible.

I've been admonished several times, "If you do that, you'll ruin its value." OTOH, if it improves its value to me, who cares??
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:55 am

andrew wrote:I've been admonished several times, "If you do that, you'll ruin its value."  OTOH, if it improves its value to me, who cares??
What if it was left in its "pristine" collectible state and it winds up in an estate sale auction, along with all hobby items lumped together (engines, planes, radios, accessories, etc.) for a winning bid by an E-Bay seller at say $300 for the lot? Then they auction for winning bid for $300? (and mebbe it was someone here from CEF who got your item?  Wink ) They make say $1,000 off your items that don't benefit your beneficiaries.

Who is the real real winner?

It didn't belong to an estate by Elvis, JFK, Michael, otro presidentes, etc., then which would add tremendous value, but by all means one of the "yours truly's" on CEF. Being para la gente del mundo (of the people of the world), in essence our items are of value to us more than others. We don't count much (in a worldly sense) when compared to the rich and famous.

Thus, anything we do with our pasatiempos (hobbies) is really to benefit us in our happiness, and the loved ones and friends in the present time we share them with. Smoking Beer Cheers sunny
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:59 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:................We don't count much (in a worldly sense) when compared to the rich and famous.

Thus, anything we do with our pasatiempos (hobbies) is really to benefit us in our happiness, and the loved ones and friends in the present time we share them with. Smoking Beer Cheers sunny

And therein lies the whole truth of the matter. Very Happy
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Ya...what the heck....it's not like I plan to sell it ,or it's worth a fortune to begin with! Just more crap to dispose of when I'm gone!.......paint job is becoming a bit more tricky to do than I expected though!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:04 pm

I hope you are using fuel proof paint, especially since you indicated a hope to fly it.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:38 pm

What paint is fuel proof?...I don't remember?  I doubt my Krylon and testors enamels are. I could put something over it all.....which probably will also eat my paint job!  Probably won't get flown anyway...though I did think the old girl should at least get in the air once more! I need something else simple and cheap to get back into C/l...I thought this was it,but am having second thoughts as it is just too nice to screw up trying to relearn.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:04 pm

There are plans floating around for a corrugated plastic PT-19 clone. It appears to be a model that really uses very little glue and paint. The colorizing comes from whatever plastic was selected. It does require some screws, blocks of wood, and a donor engine like a Babe Bee. The bonus is it won't take a whole lot of "money-in" if you can scrounge the plastic from a sign-making company.

The blocks of wood only need to be sealed if the model is to survive beyond a summer.

I have read that Krylon and Rust-Oleum are fuel-proof if left to cure for a few weeks. Spray poly-urethane will cover your paints and provide fuel-proofing, once the paints have cured (not just dries to touch).

If you lived down south, I'd hand you a control handle and fuel/start your "new" adventure for you.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Jim...I WISH I was down south right now! I've had it with the cold and snow shoveling. I do recall some planes made out of that corrogated plastic stuff. I even had some lined up last year,but that fell through...or my donors forgot and threw it away! Look kinda "ghetto" though! And how can they fly with a flat wing? I kinda like that little P-40 you built with the .049 on it. Something like that would be a good starter plane I think.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:45 pm

How can they fly with that flat wing you ask. Just fine is the answer. Just don't expect it to fly as nice as a built up model, but they do fly nice and also can do loops for fun. Virtually indestructable as well, with teh only thing I have had to do is to bend the motor mount back to shape/in place.

Here is the PT-19 Coroplast variant taken when I just finished it.
Scale nitpicking Pt-19_10

And here is the Man-Win Trainer, designed by a club member locally.
Scale nitpicking Manwin10
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:50 pm

Here is the link to both the corrogated PT-19, and the Man-Win Trainer. Both are circled in teh picture so you know which plans they are if you like.

http://www.balsabeavers.com/information/information.php

Here is the picture of them circled as mentioned above.
Scale nitpicking Bb10
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Thanks New 222!..... novel idea
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:17 am

OhBee wrote:And how can they fly with a flat wing?
Flat wing causes lift through angle of attack, deflecting air downward as it moves through the air. It works for our models because we aren't lifting a whole lot of weight requiring more efficient means of lift.

All the Sterling Beginner series (and later Estes who bought Sterling) with solid balsa wings are flat plate wings made of 3/32" or 1/8" balsa. Other manufacturers followed suit to include Dumas, Scientific and Goldberg on their least expensive series, Midwest, etc.

Walt Musciano, designer for Scientific liked putting airfoils on most of his designs. For simplicity of building he used the standard modified Clark-Y airfoil with flat bottom. Wing lifts well at lower angle of attack but inverted requires greater angle of attack. Most of his designs were sport designs not for serious stunting. (But they taught many a child and young man how to build things, something that is a lost art these days.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:28 am

Makes sense ghost....I've noticed the cheapest kits are plain flat balsa wings. Not fond of the look, Wink I couldn't possibly have totally lost the ability to fly controline.....I currently fly R C so I know how to control flight that way just fine. I suspect over controling is as detrimental to controline as it is to RC flying. I would think anything with a built up wing would be easier to control. Not real concerned with augering in immediatly!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  smooth_bill Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:25 pm

OhBee,

I would recommend the Brodak Baby Clown. The ARF version is what I used to return to the hobby after 49 years of no C/L flying.

What I like is that it looks good, flew good, and is not expensive.

Mine is sitting here years later undamaged, and in completely flyable condition. The controls were installed at the factory with the lead out's terminated in crimped on line connecters (that I was a little worried about), but they still work fine!

Brodak offers the Baby Clown in kit form, plus ARF, and ARC versions as well. I still have a new kit on the shelf, and another ARF or two that I had hoped to give to my great-grandsons, but that did not work out due to family separations.

Check out Pat Kings site. He is in the Vendors section of Stunthanger.com, and has plans and kits for a lot of fine models! Look for PDK LLC, and check him out.

Another fine flyer is the Baby Flite Streak that I've also flown. It really flew well, but was faster, and more fragile than the Clown, and didn't survive a figure nine I stupidly attempted.

My first flight was with a friends coroplast trainer combat wing. He insisted that I could not damage it, so I gave it a go. Much to my surprise I flew out the complete tank (praying for it to run out the entire time), and then landed successfully, but fell on my butt immediately after landing! I was so damn dizzy that the trees and clouds were still spinning around minutes later, as I laid there laughing my head off!

We should probably take this off line, as its completely off topic. We do have similar experiences to talk about, that would probably bore everyone else.

My email is: wgadair@comcast.net

Bill
smooth_bill
smooth_bill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:19 pm

Scale nitpicking 20200219
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:21 pm

I Did it! I POSTED A PIC!!   Yaaay!.....Now dosn't that look 100% better?....Thank you rsv1Cox for the simple picture posting  procedure for idiots. I wrote it down and followed it and it worked!  I just wasn't doing it in the right order.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:33 pm

Mr. Steve (OhBee)...good for you posting a picture. The paintwork is awesome!

The suggestion of the Baby Clown is solid. The fat wing should slow the plane down a bit compared to other built up wings, yet float well on a dead engine. I keep looking for plans for a thick wing Baby Clown.

I seem to remember someone doing a Baby Super Clown (flapped) quite some time ago. It was a crash rebuild if I remember right. Mr. Ron, was it you? I'd love to get templates/patterns.

Mr. Bill,
Please continue here. Threads drift, and come back to topic often here. It is part of "the culture" that is "only/barely" tolerated on some sites.
But on CEF, we enjoy the drift as much as the point!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:27 am

Ya...Baby clown, lil jumping bean...that is the type I'm interested in at first. Would love to build another Lil Satan like I used to fly. Might be a bit quick for an old beginner now...lots of choices,hard to narrow it down...they all appear so similar. ....but I'm steering towards the largest wingspan an .049 can haul. I can see this getting out of hand in a hurry! A couple larger engines and the choices become even more bewildering!.....but do love the Cox .049's!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:43 am

Mr. Steve,
Have you got a buddy that will help you launch wheel-less models?
Otherwise you will need wheels and a stooge.

My last Lil Satan was scratch-built from plans on flyinglines.org. In fact, that one was covered with gift tissue (or new shoe tissue) and clear dope. Color changes could be done by using colored gift tissue. I used whatever I could get my hands on locally so it wouldn't be expensive. My boys' Scientific clones used 15 lb picture hanging wire for lead-outs.
I say knock one out with an extra bay on the inboard wing and convert it to something else with a profile fuselage. That gives you someplace to hang wheels from while offsetting the weight of landing gear with some back-end weight. Them mount one of your Babe Bees and enjoy a leisurely Roundie-Roundie before deciding to jump all-in on a .15. model.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down