Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Plastic tank Repair Cox_ba12

Plastic tank Repair Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:59 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Plastic tank Repair Empty
Live on Patrol

Plastic tank Repair

Go down

Thinking Plastic tank Repair

Post  Iceberg Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:12 pm

Plastic tank Repair Img_8012

I wonder if anyone might have a suggestion. I was going through an older motor and found the neck for holding the reed valve on the plastic tank was cracked please see the image. I am not sure how the previous owner managed to do that. However might hot glue work to repair? Or is this tank just ready for the garbage?

I suspect it is not repairable right?

Thanks
Iceberg
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Plastic tank Repair

Post  NEW222 Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Well, I never say die! I myself, would personally try one thing. I would carefully clean both surfaces well with 91% or greater alcohol. Then I would also very carefully apply some JB Weld using a toothpick, clamp it very well and put it aside for at least 24 hours. But that is just me and what I would do from what I can see in the picture. Also whilst putting the JB Weld on, I would make sure it does not go into anywhere I did not want it to go or where it would be hard to get at to clean up later. Easier to clean it up while still pliable. Now if that did not work, I woul dlook at it again and see if there is another option available before scrapping it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:33 pm

That might just work too. I thought maybe the hot glue might do ok as when it cools it would never dissolve even if fuel was there in the tank. Does JB weld dissolve a bit or soften in nitro? You mean just the normal JB Weld stuff? Not the one for plastic right?

Thanks
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:44 pm

All I have on hand and have ever used is the standard regular JB Weld. I have used it on a stunt tank vent tube replacemet and has held up very well, and has not softened. This may be because when I do use it I let it sit for 24 hours minimum before attempting to do anything with the part, and usually 2-3 days for added safety in case the mix was not exactly 50/50. As for their plastic stuff, I have never used it, but would assume it may be better suited for plastics, but again, this is just a guess.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:52 pm

I just looked at JB Welds website and saw a few plastic and a couple other neat new products. With that said, the plastic one I looked at was quick set, 5 minutes and cure in 1 hour. 3990 PSI. Sounds good to me. The original however is 5020 PSI, sets in 4-6 hours, and cures in 15-24 hours. Now just from experience, I have always preffered a slower cure as they seem to be better. As well, the slower time allows you more time to work with it. But if what you have ther is a clean break and easily accessible, I may also be inclined to try the plastic variety if you think you can get it on and cleaned up before clamping and drying. And even though they say 1 hour, I would still wait for a bit longer before using whatever was repaired.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:30 am

Yet I don't know the type of plastic, you can weld it with a hot thin steel or brass wire. Press the part on tank, then melt around of joint with a hot wire. Making zigzags is better. Perhaps this may work.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:41 am

The problem with hot glue is that it gets soft again when heated. Not sure what kind of temperatures there is in that area, but still something to consider.

I don’t have any experience with the plastic tank, but I have heard they can be sometimes difficult to get to seal properly at the backplate area.

Still, it is worth a try definitely. With that type of tank you have the separate plastic reed retainer, right? So, with some JB weld on the thoroughly cleaned surfaces, and the plastic reed retainer pressed on, and everything tightened on the back of the crankcase... Maybe it will last.

Good luck and let us know the results Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:10 am

Ok for the plastique To use gb weld hot glue no bea bee tank get To hot have u ever hole one wile runing crankcase tank get hot To hot for glue To hold Not sur if posible To use soldering iron To melt around the joint and renforce wit gb weld y sugest use old crankcase empty put grase inside crankcase Good amount of gb weld on plastiques tank and insert in crankcase use back plate and Bolt in place Wait minimum cure time
and take it appart let it cure minimum 48 hours before use after 10 hours engines can be re asembling dont use oil fuel befor 48 hours if it Not working y be surprise hope its Not alredy set ??hope it work for u Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:32 pm

Never had any luck with JB weld where any liquids were involved......ie ..radiators ,plastic carb fitings,or fuel tanks on lawnmowers,weed trimmers. They all eventually started leaking again.  I'd just pitch it!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:12 pm

There aren’t many options for gluing delrin. Ultrasonic weld might work. If it was ABS there are chemical bonding options.

That tank would be in the circular file. I wouldn’t risk it breaking off and getting sucked into the crank.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:04 pm

$6.95 USD for a brand new one. I wouldn't put in too much effort. A new tube of JB Weld would probably cost more than that.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:19 pm

Given the amount of heat and stress through vibration on a critical part, the reed holder on one side and fuel on the other, I'm thinking given the type of plastic that really doesn't lend itself to repairs, I'd replace it.

https://coxengines.ca/8cc-plastic-fuel-tank-for-cox-049-engine.html

Plastic tank Repair Cox20014

Yes, I agree, Rod. Given it only costs $7 plus shipping (good time to order other parts with the part including the right reed holder if doesn't have), I think the OP have a lot less troubles replacing with new. But, that is my opinion.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:18 am

Replacing the whole thing would be the best solution, I agree. But while waiting for the parts to arrive, a bit of experimenting doesn’t hurt Smile

If it were mine, for a runner, I’d get an aluminum tank or a Horseshoe backplate for a replacement.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down