Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find Cox_ba12

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ball - Socket Joints
by getback Today at 8:49 am

» A little nostalgia…
by Kim Today at 8:37 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Today at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:09 am

» Tired of it all…
by roddie Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 10:27 pm

» Science and Mechanics magazine's "Playboy" 14' plywood runabout plans.. circa 1950's
by roddie Yesterday at 9:30 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Post your Older books
by crankbndr Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» Cox wrench
by layback209 Yesterday at 3:03 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by getback Yesterday at 10:04 am

» How does your Garden Grow
by getback Yesterday at 6:26 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find Empty
Live on Patrol

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find

Go down

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find Empty Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find

Post  layback209 Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:50 pm

Welp I just couldn't leave this in the hobby shop today it had to come home with me. Go for some rocket engines and come out with a arm full of stuff, kinda like shopping at Costco or princess auto. Haha

I'm thinking a queen bee I have might find a nice home on this rig. I can't remember if it's rc or not, have to dig it out.

On a side note my soft spot for cox arf, kits got the better of me the other day. Came home with a messerchmitt super stunter and promptly assembled it. It's really cool, wedge tank, built in engine offset, the engine quality is amazing.

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20220912
Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20220911
Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20220910
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find Empty Re: Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find

Post  944_Jim Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:23 pm

Gee, some guys have all the luck. Congrats and good for you! Please consider tracing the Seamp Buggy parts, copying the plans, and send 'em to Steve at Outerzone.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find Empty Re: Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find

Post  layback209 Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:00 am

944_Jim wrote:Gee, some guys have all the luck. Congrats and good for you! Please consider tracing the Seamp Buggy parts, copying the plans, and send 'em to Steve at Outerzone.

Thanks, the odd time i do come across something Cool. Great idea, I'll try and do that. My scanner is pretty bare bones but I'm pretty sure I can get the important parts done.

I also have been enjoying some magazines from the 1950s a friend shared with me, there is some really interesting plans in there.  I'll keep my eye out for anything interesting.

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20220913
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:10 pm

Layback,
I have to walk-back my suggestion. I didn't realize that kit is still a current production model.
Outerzone can't host copyrighted material.

Sorry for the bad plan.

Last edited by 944_Jim on Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:26 pm

944_Jim wrote:Payback,
I have to walk-back my suggestion. I didn't realize that kit is still a current production model.
Outerzone can't host copyrighted material.

Sorry for the bad plan.

No worries Jim, thanks for identifying that. I guess that's good news though, you can still order a kit if a hobby shop has a line with Dumas.
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:45 pm

Woohoo made some progress. One benifit of finishing our garage reno is I squirreled away some scrap drywall do multiple builds can progress at once. Glue wait rotate projects 😆.

Pretty die crushed, the lamination helped true stuff up . I imagine there is much more wiggle room with boats than wings  Eyebrows

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20221212
Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20221210
Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20221211

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find Screen12

Last edited by layback209 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:52 pm

Well here's my thinking, I have this 0.074 queen bee that needs to do something, and she is a tank weight wise so maybe land vs air. Nothing can sit on a shelf is my optimistic perhaps non achievable goal.  None the less, may try and flip this to normal propulsion vs pusher. More checking to come... I don't want to do anything that prevents it from getting on plane.  

I like it as an option as more access for starting, and the engine will get air cooling.  Hopefully the queen is some what reliable. I wish to use its r/c carb and a surface radio set up.  There should be some micro servos out there that can get the job done with out weighing it down more.

Loving the magnet board, makes quick work of set up.

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20221215
Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20221213
Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20221214
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:18 am

Hi layback,
WOW !
That Cox Me-109 is the best performing CL they made ! Great engine.
The wings are VERY fragile though... Good for flying, just not landing !
Later on that...
Anyways,
A 1/2A Cox Air Boat is allot of fun...
Based on those pictures in model mags of that very SwampBuggy,
I made my own that was built around my new Heathkit radio.
Went dual rudders, where the 'fins' were part of the engine/tank mount.
Having the prop fwd is better. Dual rudders in prop stream is more than twice as good.
It was flat bottomed, so not, so ideal for fast on water,
But shined on snow/ice.
You will learn... if you go too fast upwind in one ! Slightest gust ! Over backwards !
Mine was backplate/throttle sleeved .049...
I think in water,
Some 'Vee' is good on the aft end.
I think you will have fun with this project.
I did !

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
Maac 6437

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:53 pm

Thanks Dave, sounds like you built an awesome puddle hopper. I definitely want to try this in the snow at some point. Fortunately there is some v in the stern section. Glad to hear your experience with it thanks for sharing.

I really like the twin "air rudder" set up you described, I might just do that. So far I'm enjoying the simplicity of it.

I'm pretty excited might need to procure the "big swamp buggy" too hahaha. I have a 40 engine some where. Christmas Tree

layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:31 pm

Good luck with the build!! I like the idea using a metal board and magnets. If the plans indicate a CG, it's better to stick to it and when using another engine or changing the engine position, compensate with rc gear position or lead to obtain the corrct CG.

I built an airboat in 2017 from the plans of Vic Smeed. The boat is called Hydro-Bat. I added an aluminium frontbumper to protect the front edge which is rather pointed.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10621-hydro-bat-by-vic-smeed-engine-probs

I never tried my airboat. When I finish a model, I tend to loose interest. In fact, I should build only static models.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:41 am

OVERLORD wrote:Good luck with the build!! I like the idea using a metal board and magnets. If the plans indicate a CG, it's better to stick to it and when using another engine or changing the engine position, compensate with rc gear position or lead to obtain the corrct CG.

I built an airboat in 2017 from the plans of Vic Smeed. The boat is called Hydro-Bat. I added an aluminium frontbumper to protect the front edge which is rather pointed.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10621-hydro-bat-by-vic-smeed-engine-probs

I never tried my airboat. When I finish a model, I tend to loose interest. In fact, I should build only static models.

That is s beautiful build. I really like how you set it up. I'm thinking I will tape up the stock engine configuration and find the intended c.g. that way. Great advice on moving radio gear around. This engine is heavier, but should be a bit quieter. So I can use it in the back alley 😆.
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:48 am

Made a little more progress. I accidentally didn't lable any of the wood kit pieces and used one of the hard wood 1/8" squares for bracing vs the hull guide things. Fortunately I had some 1/4" hardwood stock for 1/2a motor blocks I was able cut down on my scroll saw. Doh.

Here's some build picks. Got my servos today, they are way more skookum than I thought they would be. I didn't want to use the standard size ones for this. And the cost of these things have really come down. The finish line is starting to be in site woohoo.... cause I got 50 other things to get to cheers Good problem to have. Beer Cheers

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20221219
Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20221218
Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20230110
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:50 am

Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20230111
Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20230113
Swamp Buggy Build incoming - hobby shop find 20230112
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:56 pm

Hi layback,

Looks great. My flat bottomed one 'skipped like a stone' on water at full throttle...
Those chines will help big time. Never thought of that....
Snow is getting rare around here, to consider.
Try dual rudders behind the prop, twice as good,
With respect,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down