Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A nice hobby shop find Cox_ba12

A nice hobby shop find Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Today at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Today at 4:32 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:31 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Today at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Yesterday at 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Yesterday at 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A nice hobby shop find Empty
Live on Patrol

A nice hobby shop find

Go down

A nice hobby shop find Empty A nice hobby shop find

Post  batjac Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:47 pm

I flew back up to Portland for a couple of weeks to pack up my homebuilt project and ship it back down to Tulsa, and to drive my Vette back that’s been sitting in my son’s garage for the last six months.

Today we had some free time, so I had him drive me back to the old hobby shop.  Not much interested me, but since I’ve gotten on a free flight kick, I checked out his back wall to see what he had.  There’s stuff that’s been on that wall for 30 years, so you just never know.  He had some peck Polymers stuff, seems like the price on everything was $1.35.  So I bought some washers, hubs, and a couple of props.  I passed on the rubber.  Who knows how old that was.

As I was checking out, I heard the owner talking to another customer about something and it prompted me to ask about old engines.  He used to be a decent source of used engines until I bought all the good ones he had and he disposed of the rest.  So for the last two or three years when I ask, he never has any old engines for me.  Well, since I’ll never be this way again, I decided to try one last time.  When I asked about old engines, he turned to the other guy behind the counter and asked, “Where’s that old sparker?”  So we walked to the back of the store and he pulled out a bag:

A nice hobby shop find 20220912-164832
A nice hobby shop find 20220912-164921
A nice hobby shop find 20220912-165337

It also had a Model 5224 Enya 29 and a PeeWee in the bag:

A nice hobby shop find 20220912-165155
A nice hobby shop find 20220912-165220

Whoever tortured that PeeWee with a 6x4 prop deserves coal in his stocking…  

There was also a muffler, but it has no number on it.  It seems a pretty big muffler for that small exhaust inlet.  When I get home I’ll measure the distance between the holes and do some more digging on it.   Feels pretty light, though.

A nice hobby shop find 20220912-165402

The shop owner is an old Wheeler and Dealer, so he always overprices everything.  I seldom buy new stuff, but I usually come out ahead when dickering on old engines.  I asked what he wanted, he said he didn’t know and make an offer.  I said $50.00 for the lot.  He said he was thinking $100.00 for the lot, and suggested we meet in the middle at $75.  I hemmed and hawed for a minute, and then begrudgingly accepted.

The Serendipitous Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A nice hobby shop find Empty Re: A nice hobby shop find

Post  Marleysky Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:08 pm

hmmm, great negotiator! Glad Thrift Leniency, you got off allright.

That Anderson Spitfire must be a real powerhouse. I don't recall ever seeing a 6 bolt mounting requirement before.

Nice haul for sure.

what year is your vette?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:39 am

Wow, especially the very nice looking Pee Wee! 6x4 prop a torturer on a free flight? Joe Wagner recommended a 7x2 for one of his free flights. Personally, I wouldn't go higher than a 5.25x3 (may be a 5x3 in Tornado's). But, I don't see any scratch marks on the tank near the mount screws, a common occurrence. You scored big! Smoking
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:24 am

Nice score Mark , are you going to run the sparkie ? The Pee Wee is probably OK with FF it would only run a short time anyway , you know that though Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:36 am

This mufler la from a irvine engine mabe .60 100% A nice hobby shop find Scree162
A nice hobby shop find Scree163
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:58 am

MarleyS X2............Ya, what year?  Why hide the really good stuff, no pictures????????

I love the ram air intake on the Anderson, in fact I  love the whole thing.  What a find.  Ya did good Mark.  Day's of fun cleaning them up.  More fun running them.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:36 pm

getback wrote:The Pee Wee is probably OK with FF it would only run a short time anyway , you know that though Smile
Following is what I gathered, reading between lines. Probably me (we were all dumb as 11 year olds) Laughing , I would have overfilled and had a fly away! Doh!

They used to tip the nose up 90 degrees, so the fuel would spurt out the other nipple when tank back had about 1/8th inch of fuel for a short run, say less than 20 seconds. Tilt less than 90 degrees to fill tank a touch more for a slightly longer run. With needle adjusted beforehand to quickly start, tweak, and off it went!

So, as you mention Eric, in a short run the engine did not overheat. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:57 pm

My flying buddy Philly Skip was flying his Zilch last weekend. The Zilch is Anderson Spitfire powered. Skip uses a Larry Davidson solid state coil  with the rechargeable batteries. This is so powerful that you can audibly hear the spark. He uses the Crown fuel and Super Tech two stroke oil at Walmart. This runs amazing actually and never skips a beat. However, Skip was doing a outside maneuver and creamed the Zilch in which exploded the engine. This thing was toast. The only distinguishable part was the piston. The case shattered into several pieces. This engine had maybe 2 hours of run time on it. It was a brand new engine. Skip turned this beautiful Spitfire into crap in literally seconds. He just misjudged the ground and POW!!!. This was over soft grass too.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:47 am

Marleysky wrote:
what year is your vette?

Sorry it's been so long to get back to Y'all.  Finally got my plane in a trailer and the hangar emptied out.

It's a 2001 Vette.  A little over 64K on the odometer.  

A nice hobby shop find 20220913-125441

When I get it back down to OK I'm replacing the center console and installing a Media/Nav unit. I've gotten so used to back-up camera, Android Auto, and Sirius XM on my other cars that I need to install them on the Vette. With that, I don't see that the newer Corvettes have anything on mine.  It's 22 years old, but it still looks darn good....

The Fifth Gen Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:13 pm

Ken Cook wrote:However, Skip was doing a outside maneuver and creamed the Zilch in which exploded the engine. This thing was toast. The only distinguishable part was the piston. The case shattered into several pieces. This engine had maybe 2 hours of run time on it. It was a brand new engine.  Skip turned this beautiful Spitfire into crap in literally seconds. He just misjudged the ground and POW!!!. This was over soft grass too.
Sorry to hear about your buddy Skip's plane being rekitted and broken historical engine. However, my perspective, he enjoyed it while he had it. It may have garnered a couple hundred bucks if sold, but really would that be worth it? We already have to spend over $100 for a new engine, any engine of that size. I'm now seeing baby boomer stuff being sold on the 'net obtained from estate sales. I see as if you don't enjoy what you have, it will be sold for peanuts to someone else because it won't be the grandkids who enjoy them.

At least it wasn't a $20,000 turbine R/C jet.

batjac wrote:It's a 2001 Vette.  A little over 64K on the odometer.  
A nice hobby shop find 20220913-125441

When I get it back down to OK I'm replacing the center console and installing a Media/Nav unit. I've gotten so used to back-up camera, Android Auto, and Sirius XM on my other cars that I need to install them on the Vette. With that, I don't see that the newer Corvettes have anything on mine.  It's 22 years old, but it still looks darn good....
It is now an old classic, really nice looking, looks fast, too. Know what you mean, have a backup camera and nav unit on my 2019 Grand Caravan, those are handy.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:11 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
It is now an old classic, really nice looking, looks fast, too.

Looks fast.  I don't know how fast it really is.  The highest I've ever gone is 110 MPH.  I just don't need the tickets, and I'm old enough to have fun in it just driving around town.

The Relaxed Mark

edit: Just looked up the numbers online. Rated top speed stock is 175 MPH. Not that I'll ever take it up that high.

The Chicken Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:26 pm

batjac wrote:Just looked up the numbers online.  Rated top speed stock is 175 MPH.  Not that I'll ever take it up that high. The Chicken Mark
You know what they say:
Old Saying wrote:There are old drivers, and there are bold drivers; but there are no old, bold drivers.  Very Happy

Daily Mail (UK) wrote:Footage taken on the passenger's mobile phone shows the Italian supercar's V10 engine roaring as it reaches a staggering 208mph as the driver flies down a motorway in Hungary. But as he heads towards the red line of the rev counter (pictured left), he loses control of the £186,000 Lamborghini (top right), sending it into a ditch where it was completely destroyed after bursting into flames (bottom right).
Car cost $212,088 US. Money Toss 341 kmh (208 mph) before crash 7 years ago on a highway in Hungary, where speed limit is 130 kmh (80 mph). (András @Balogh might know.) Both occupants survived with injuries, but car caught fire and burnt to a crisp. Shocked
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down