Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Cox_ba12

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Empty
Live on Patrol

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Empty A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:59 am

All must come together.

Lead melts at 621.5 degrees F, butane heats to 2,610 degrees F plus or minus. Thinking about bending the measuring spoon into a V to pour it into the small counter weight holes. Got a better idea?

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Dscn1919
A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Dscn1920
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Empty Re: A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel

Post  pman1111 Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:31 am

Use your heat gun to heat the counterweight and use tweezers to place the lead in the holes? A heat gun should provide plenty heat, I have soldered with one. (Don't ask why) Wink
pman1111
pman1111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Empty Re: A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:19 pm

Thanks pman and Levent.  That's a thought, heat the counterweight with the lead in the holes.  A heat gun should not damage the counter weight but a torch might.  I will try that first.  

Hmm....just remembered, I used a torch to heat the counterweight to remove it from the crankshaft which melted the lead in the first place.  Now, if I don't burn the house down.  Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pman1111 Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:30 pm

My thinking was the heat gun would be less likely to discolor the metal, also provide some air movement to keep the vapors away from the user,
Don't breathe the vapors from the melted lead.......

Don

Last edited by pman1111 on Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding name)
pman1111
pman1111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:55 pm

pman1111 wrote:My thinking was the heat gun would be less likely to discolor the metal, also provide some air movement to keep the vapors away from the user,
Don't breathe the vapors from the melted lead.......

Don

Thanks Don, but that ship sailed the first time. I had no idea that those holes were lead filled.

Probably will do it out in the garage with door and windws open. But thanks for the caution, I was going to do it at the kitchen sink. Fire/water you know. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:12 pm

Well, I cut the lead up into small pieces and tried to even them out between the four holes. Used all the lead that originally came out. Heated with the torch and paddled it around. Close enough but not perfect. Sandblasted (aluminum oxide media) it along with the heat sink ring and the muffler off the OS-30. Gives a frosted look that will be mitigated with a toothbrush and aluminum polish. Looks better than the stained mottled surface of before.

Again, sorry for the poor pictures. This Nikon does not tolerate my shake like the Olympus does. Last picture was when I layed the camera down and just pressed the take button.

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Dscn1921
A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Dscn1922
A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Dscn1923
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pman1111 Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:20 pm

If you need a little more lead, I'm sure you have an old shotgun shell to donate a few pellets to the project
pman1111
pman1111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:51 pm

pman1111 wrote:If you need a little more lead, I'm sure you have an old shotgun shell to donate a few pellets to the project

Smile

Yes, I have scattered a few of those pellets around the hills and valleys of Virginia and West Virginia.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:36 pm

It's coming along nicely.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:25 am

Scratch another one off, it's done except for some time on a test stand.  Not holding out much hope, little to no compression but the fellow in the video, he had almost no compression either so we will see. More of an educational toy for me rather than a functioning engine.  

New 3mm hex heads from China (cheap) installed and cross tightened.  I had ordered #2's for the back case but too small, #3's are too big, but there is a 2.5mm should have ordered those too.  But I found that 2/56's cut to length screw right in so I used those.  Should help out when repairing my European locomotives too.

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   P1014874

As received.

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Wankel14
A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   Wankel15

Not losing another ten dollar Woodruff.

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   P1014875
A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   P1014877
A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   P1014876
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:01 am

OS uses M2.6 most of the time. I can't think of a time I've seen M2.5 in an OS. M2.5 obviously fits, but if at the low end of the tolerance can be tough on the threaded hole. M2.6 can be hard to find.

I used 2-56 in a metric application in a pinch just last week, but it was in place of M2.2. M2.2 has the same pitch as M2.5 and M2.6. M2.2 would have little to no thread engagement and be obviously loose in an M2.5 or M2.6 hole. Now 3-56 could be acceptable, if the proper screw isn't available. For a thread in aluminum, I would get the right fastener.

gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:50 am

gkamysz wrote:For a thread in aluminum, I would get the right fastener.
When I lived in Japan, I was able to easily find all the metric hardware for my 1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage, that was my travel to work vehicle. Even bought hardware at the 100 Yen stores (equivalent to dollar stores in US, but much better quality items). Here, it took further digging and sometimes mail ordering. For bolts with nuts through an unthreaded hole, substitutes ANSI/ASE. Just too bad there isn't a Japanese Fastenal or McMasters available locally.

Some of my engines that used metric, I retapped the hole for ANSI. Where threads were stripped, retapped for next size up. However, the down side is needing end taps for short depth holes, which can be expensive, unless one is fortunate to have such available at their workplace.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:03 am

I'm pretty sure that they were 2/56's, black they were mixed in with my naturals. I have 3/48's but these worked so well I just went with them. Back plate application, not much stress there. I saved two of the phillips head originals.

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   P1014878

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:10 am

Misumi has any metric thingamathing you could ever want. Sometimes you have to wait and generally cost more than McMaster.

There are also the old (< mid 1960's?) obsolete Japanese threads which are hard to find. Only a few sizes didn't match the ISO standard. I think sometimes you find them on Enya ans OS. It's a problem with cars and bikes as well.

gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:14 am

I can search, buy and send 2.5 or any size metric screws to you. If you want specify the size and send a photo of screws Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:22 am

The parts breakdown I have for this version doesn't list size and the part number didn't come up online at all. The back cover screws are listed as M2.6 in the later engines.

The odds of that hole being M2.2 are zero. If you have 2-56 in the M2.6, I'm quite surprised it didn't strip just snugging it up like the one I just tested did. I've never seen 3-56 in the wild.

Measure the diameter of the screw threads with a mic or caliper to figure out what they are. M2.5 and M2.6 can be hard to differentiate.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:25 pm

gkamysz wrote:The parts breakdown I have for this version doesn't list size and the part number didn't come up online at all. The back cover screws are listed as M2.6 in the later engines.

The odds of that hole being M2.2 are zero. If you have 2-56 in the M2.6, I'm quite surprised it didn't strip just snugging it up like the one I just tested did. I've never seen 3-56 in the wild.

Measure the diameter of the screw threads with a mic or caliper to figure out what they are. M2.5 and M2.6 can be hard to differentiate.

Thanks, when I get a chance I will remove the screws and compare the originals against the replacements.  I have a micrometer and I think the proper thread gages.  

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:37 pm

If you're searching for 2.5mm or 2.6mm screws, try Microfasteners.com. They have screws in both thread sizes, lengths, head types and metals.
I have used them numerous times -- their pricing is competitive and shipping reasonable.

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:15 pm

andrew wrote:If you're searching for 2.5mm or 2.6mm screws, try Microfasteners.com.  They have screws in both thread sizes, lengths, head types and metals.
I have used them numerous times -- their pricing is competitive and shipping reasonable.

a--

Thanks Andrew, they do have 2.5mm's and assortments which I like. They are also located quite close to me in Easton Pa.

http://www.microfasteners.com/astmet-metric-socket-head-cap-screws..html
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:57 am

Bob @rsv1cox haven't heard from you in a couple weeks, everything OK?

Thought you'd be interested, found this Hobby People ad in the April 1972 edition of American Aircraft Modeler Magazine, was during my last year in high school. Magazine download is here:

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=12123 (membership is free)

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   2023-019

The cost of the new Wankel ($503.73 in today's money) was then very reasonable, even considering inflation, because our taxation wasn't as bad (more disposable income).

That was the cost of my Ace R/C single channel pulse commander system with baby twin actuator and rechargeable flight battery pack.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:36 pm

Bob @rsv1cox haven't heard from you in a couple weeks, everything OK?

Yes, I'm fine, just nothing going on balsa or glow plug engine wise to post about.

By pure coincidence the person I bought this throttle body/dynamic chamber from on ebay (next to the one that came on the car and I restored)

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   P1015083

had tried to buy the same car some 12 years before. Nice to know a person that knows the car and the people that once owned it. He's an RX-7 guy and I have been picking his brain. I just sent him as a surprise gift one of my Graupner Wankels.

Gave up my build log as there wasn't much interest.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:09 pm

Hi Bob!!….Please keep posting your build log…. I may not have a lot in common with it other than it reminds me of my old Z….But it is interesting….. It’s a mechanical gadget  Smile

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:22 pm

rdw777 wrote:Hi Bob!!….Please keep posting your build log…. I may not have a lot in common with it other than it reminds me of my old Z….But it is interesting….. It’s a mechanical gadget  Smile

Robert

Thanks Robert.  It is just an expanded version of one of our glow plug engines, especially the four srokes.   And the car itself, put a bridle and a tether on it and it's a Cox Shrike Smile.  A couple of years ago I photoshopped my MG Midget doing just that.  Got a lot of laughs here.  Smile

Yes, I'm fine, just nothing going on balsa or glow plug engine wise to post about.

I modified that comment slightly..............Yes, I'm fine, just nothing going on balsa or glow plug engine wise to boast about.  Smile

As far as the RX-7.  Fixed - Brakes, Clutch, remote fuel filler door, headlights, fuel pump.  Still to go - Radio doesn't work, blow fuses.  Antenna refuses to go down, turn signals/flasher does not work, drivers side window won't retract, still not running but I just got in new fuel injectors...........etc. etc.

Seller of the throttle body/dynamic chamber just sent me the missing water choke. At the time he listed it he did not notice that it was missing.

A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   P1015085
A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   P1015084

Nice guy, knows RX-7's inside out. I'm not sure if he does model engines. Maybe the Wankel I sent him will send him this way.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:46 pm

Thanks for responding, Bob, we were all worried about you, didn't know if something happened to you, your family, your property, etc. Then some thought because of the warming weather, you might have been tied up taking care of some of those dead trees, getting a garden started, etc.

Glad to hear you are OK. Regarding your Mazda rotary adventures with occasional OS mixed in, I don't know about the others, but I enjoy watching your RX-7 restoration thread.
A butane torch, containers, some lead and my Graupner Wankel   2023-071
From https://www.autoblog.gr/2016/01/13/ena-rotorato-mazda-rx-2-einai-apolaush-sto-petrolicious/

A different kind of "Killer Bee" 1971 RX-2 from Australia:

lol! This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next