Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 5:27 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by getback Today at 3:25 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 Empty Re: Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:09 pm

George, I just read through this thread.

You wrote:

Think I will do Bob @rsv1cox's cleaning method, use an old toothbrush with MEK solvent to clean the outside, no reason to disassemble.

Toothbrush yes. But MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) no! The only use I have for MEK is when I mix up Bondo for automotive repairs. It's dangerous stuff. While at the Naval Air Test Center at Patuxent River we lost a young airman to it and his supervisor was reduced in rank. The Airman was mixing up a batch in a large tank and suffered extreme exposure. He died shortly thereafter.

This is good advice however.

I also got an almost full gallon of MEK, but didn't have my pliers handy to open the can. However, that definitely requires gloves, not good for bare skin to handle.

But use in small amounts, do not expose skin or inhale vapors. There are so many other products that will clean our engines as well or better. I have disassembled and cleaned over 600 model engines in my 70+ years of messing around with this stuff and have never used MEK. I am careful of all solvents. It's Berrymans parts cleaner, alcohol, or Simple Green to clean small engines for me.

But on the other hand I have been known to stand on a tractors seat with a running chain saw cutting off branches above my head. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:16 pm

ffkiwi wrote:George-it will FIT....how it will run is another matter, given the generally held view of Gilbert heads....
As we know Chris, Gilbert was never able to gain a foothold in the market. If it had, we probably would have seen that scenario change with better quality control. Even Leroy Cox had occasional problems even with his engine heads, but they were only temporary setbacks.

ffkiwi wrote:As I've noted here before the Rocket 09 and the Hustler .10 share several parts in common-the piston/cylinder/rod -the crankshaft-and the prop drive components....so obviously the 09 glowhead and .10 glowhead are interchangeable.....what I don't know for certain is whether the two heads have the same internal shape and combustion chamber profile....I'd hazard a guess that they do, knowing Duke Fox's propensity for using components over several engines!    When my Hustler arrives-hopefully in the next few days-I'll be able to check against both the 09 head and the Gilbert 11 head.
That would be an interesting experience to post that I think others would be interested in. Perhaps if nothing else, a participation in myth busters.

ffkiwi wrote:By all accounts the Hustler .10 was quite good..a lot better than the 09-its a surprise it came and went almost un-noticed in the market -I guess Cox had the 09 side of things sewn up....at least in the USA.   FWIW the Hustler was sold in the UK under the name 'Gremlin'...by a firm 'Bradshaw Model Products'-with no indication that it was a Fox product.
In that size class, competition was fierce I gather. Fox was competing with not only Cox, but K&B as well with their excellent Allyn .09 Torpedo Green Head. OK Cub already had their .099. OS was already entering the market with their .099 Pet. My guess is that the Hustler was just badly timed, should have went with it instead of the .09 Rocket.

ffkiwi wrote:Thereby hangs a tale....which I suspect we'll never find the truth behind....
I guess then, we could become engine conspiracy theorists.

Cox Critical RPM Theorists - CCRT. lol! Eyebrows Computer Issues lol! This Site Rocks!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 Empty Wearing something out good or bad?

Post  706jim Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:20 pm

As I've previously mentioned, my first engine was the Fox 0.099. I had it on my original Stuntman 23, a PDQ trainer and and PDQ Circus Prince as well as an ice boat. Most of its time was on the PDQ trainer which I finally learned to fly on after nearly two years of trying. (It never had near enough power to fly the Circus Prince which was larger and heavier than the other planes mentioned).
Towards the end of the PDQ trainer, my Fox got progressively weaker as it gradually wore out. As this occurred over 60 years ago I for the likes of me can't remember who I gave or sold it to. Wish I had kept it.

Now the point of this post is this simple fact:

The best compliment one can pay to any object that you purchased is that you wore it out!

How many things do we have in our basements and garages that we are "going to use one of these days" that never get used.

Really something to think about as so many of us members (including me) have engines that they will never use.

Better to use them and wear them out that to hoard them only to have them discarded by our heirs.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:26 pm

A couple of points...was the K&B 09 still being made in 61 or 62? ...the Fox Hustler appeared in '61, the Rocket 09 in '59 OS had been in the market with an 099 since the early 50s-and the Pet itself appeared around 1958-the Cub 099 from 1950 being no great threat to anything by that stage. The Enya 09-II was on the market then as well-and matched the K&B 09 for power...but was it available in the US then?

FWIW as a junior in the very early 70s, I recall the Pet-II's as being truly awful-hard to start from cold and impossible when hot....but of course that was long before the days of small electric starters...given a decent amount of nitro and an electric starter and they would have gone well. As for their commercial success well Peter Chinn records that the Pet-III came on the scene because the Pet-II crankcase dies were completely worn out after producing 300,000 examples of the Pet-II....so by any measure-that's a lot of one engine model.....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:00 am

rsv1cox wrote:You wrote: Think I will do Bob @rsv1cox's cleaning method, use an old toothbrush with MEK solvent to clean the outside, no reason to disassemble.

Toothbrush yes.  But MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) no!  The only use I have for MEK is when I mix up Bondo for automotive repairs.  It's dangerous stuff.  While at the Naval Air Test Center at Patuxent River we lost a young airman to it and his supervisor was reduced in rank.  The Airman was mixing up a batch in a large tank and suffered extreme exposure.  He died shortly thereafter. This is good advice however. [...] But use in small amounts, do not expose skin or inhale vapors.
Missed your comment Bob, before I posted my previous reply.

Was referring to your use of solvents in general Bob, not necessarily that you used my stuff. Yes, these perclorochemicals are extremely toxic and must be used with extreme caution. When I use it, I definitely have the area well ventilated or do outdoors, and I use very small amounts. This is why after 10 years, I still have almost a full gallon. I have used it to thin PVC pipe cement. Even though the can may be as tightly sealed as I can get it, it seems to over time, lose its solvent and thicken up. A bit of MEK can restore is back to usefulness, without buying another can of cement. Lately, that stuff has become very expensive.

But, in proper ventilation and in necessary, a full respirator mask and gloves, MEK does clean parts thoroughly. But, again, I found it useful for thinning / restoring PVC pipe cement. I bought the can when it was still reasonably priced.

Back in the 1970's, I remember Berryman was extremely caustic. You definitely wanted to keep it off your hands. I guess they reformulated it years later. Later, I'll need to give it a try.

ffkiwi wrote:A couple of points...was the K&B 09 still being made in 61 or 62? ...the Fox Hustler appeared in '61, the Rocket 09 in '59 OS had been in the market with an 099 since the early 50s-and the Pet itself appeared around 1958-the Cub 099 from 1950 being no great threat to anything by that stage. The Enya 09-II was on the market then as well-and matched the K&B 09 for power...but was it available in the US then?
This was me in 1961.
Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 2022-164

So, anything I say about the Fox .09 Rocket and its counterparts is basically read or inferred, not from experience. My first experience with any glow engine was in the mid 1960's, 1st glow engine aircraft, Cox .049 Spitfire RTF with Silver Bee engine. I hadn't even finished grade school yet.
ffkiwi wrote:FWIW as a junior in the very early 70s, I recall the Pet-II's as being truly awful-hard to start from cold and impossible when hot....but of course that was long before the days of small electric starters...given a decent amount of nitro and an electric starter and they would have gone well. As for their commercial success well Peter Chinn records that the Pet-III came on the scene because the Pet-II crankcase dies were completely worn out after producing 300,000 examples of the Pet-II....so by any measure-that's a lot of one engine model.....
Got my first Pet-III a few years ago, the CL/FF version, NOS, yet to fire it up. My first experience with an OS was in the late 1970's in college. I built a Top Flite Ken Willard 39" Schoolmaster (original version), powered it with an OS Max .10R/C. Had a bugger of a time getting it to run on a Fox short idle bar plug. After, tried a standard Swanson Fireball Hot red short plug with no idle bar. It became a different animal, very easy starting, became my favorite plane for a season.

The 3.1 oz. OS .10R/C was one of the best upgrades for an .049 trainer, IMO.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:20 am

George you and I are within a couple of years of each other...though I did start modelling at age 8....and have been at it continuously ever since...though specific interests within the genre have changed over the years. I grew up in Dunedin (NZ ..not Florida!!) and didn't even realise there were such things as model clubs till my first year in high school-so I was about 13 when I acquired my first engine-rather ironically (in light of this thread) a McCoy 098....which I subsequently swapped for an ED Hornet (which I still have, BTW)-locally you could buy DC diesels, Taifun diesels, Cox Babe Bees, and a limited range of OS engines...including the aforementioned Pet-II...which was affordable (priced about the same as the DC engines)-and came in a maroon box...whereas all the other OS's came in a deep blue box.

We are talking of an era though-of club fuel-75/25 glow and 1/3/1/3/1/3 diesel at very reasonable prices.."bring yer empty bottles back!"  -and where your glow battery was either a single cell from a semi moribund 6 or 12V car battery , hacksawed off the remainder (remember to use long thin leads...otherwise your Cox head goes 'poof'...)  or in my case-a milk bottle  carrier with two or 4 big bell batteries wired in parallel....and short leads!   Under such circumstances....playing with OS pets was not a fun experience....and there were quite a few of them around at the time. I still have 3 or 4 Pet-IIs and several Pet-IIIs.......of course I couldn't agree more about the Max 10-it was a dream in comparison to the Pet....and powered my first R/C model ca 1973....a David Boddington Tyro....curiously while I still have the R/C gear from that model tucked away in a box...50 years later, I have no idea what became of that articular engine...

ChrisM

Last edited by ffkiwi on Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:40 pm

Hello Chris, yes some interesting parallels in our lives. I started building in the 1st or 2nd grade with a Douglas C-47 DC-3 Transport, then a Convair B-36, both plastic models (or vice versa, memory gets a little fuzzy after 63 years Laughing ). But, flew my share of balsa gliders before then. Learned early on to repair those balsa gliders with cement. Once adjusted to fly properly, cement the tail feathers, plastic profile "bubble canopy" and wing into place. Cement wing splits to make the wing whole again. I could continue flying my gliders where other boys, they'd run their course and I guess the trash.

Most of my building and flying were rubber powered aircraft, especially stick and tissue. I built over a half dozen half-A C/L kits, but had no one to fly with in junior high and high school. Earning money at a chicken farm after school at $1.25 per hour, I bought a new Cox L4 Grasshopper Piper Cub with postage stamp engine. A couple high school friends that work there helped me one summer afternoon after work. With a 15 mph tradewind, I started the engine successfully, peaked it out, did the traditional wingover into the wind into the traditional Figure Nine. Aircraft was completely destroyed. Still have the donor engine.

For about 20 years, I had my Silver Bee engine (predecessor of the Black Widow but with non-stunt 8 cc tank) from my 1965 Cox Spitfire. Then in a move, my modelling box and a box of my wife's new things did not show up at our destination. First time we'd moved with an employer hired moving company. My wife thought she saw the movers putting a couple boxes in their cab and not the back. These were not on the inventory list. I lost my engine and a couple kits. (Since, we've watched movers like a hawk.)

My experiences with glow, although I had them 7 years earlier, really took off after I became a young man, joined the Army as a clarinet player. Got stationed back in eastern U.S., where they actually had calm weather during later Spring through early Fall. A roommate helped me fly my 21 inch Sterling Beginner Eindecker with Cox Babe Bee engine. Built it in the barracks after school hours. Initially, I crashed a dozen times until I got the hang of it, then had successful flights. The plane was lighter than than the plastic RTF's, flew better and more stable. Plus, it was more sturdy. After a bad flight, I'd just straighten the wire landing gear, do a quick flush of any dirt and grass on the engine. If needed, replace the prop, then back to flying.

After a dozen crashes, the fuselage split down the middle. Back at the barracks, I reglued the broken joint, straightened the engine mount. Did a better job of cleaning the engine. Then back to flying shortly after the touch up paint and glue cured. Flew it so much, that the aluminum elevator horn hole where the pushrod passed through was worn double its original size. When I graduated from the school a couple months later, I gave the plane to another soldier interested in it.

Recently I read AMA article shared in another thread by @944_Jim, stating the Cox engines were hard to start. Only experienced with the reed valves, I found them quite the opposite. I had a good 1.5V dry battery (the older ones the size of the insulated metal coffee cups or other style size of a 6V lantern battery), good fuel, good Perfect manual fuel pump and Cox ignition leads. Once accustomed to how to adjust them, I would have them running in one or two starts. Then quickly into flying.

Just received this today, a very nice gift from @Ken Cook. Thanks, Ken!  Very Happy  Thumbs Up
Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 2023-095

This is the first time that I have owned a Cox Competition 8x4 gray prop. It is wide bladed, will later compare it with a Masters 8x4, for my Cox .15 Sportsman.

There are 2 new 7x4 wood props, a Zinger and a Rev-Up. These are really nice. I only have 7x6 wood props and one 7x5 wood in that diameter. The rest are plastic. Ken recommended to use lower inertia wood props on the Fox .09 Rocket, because the crankshafts are a little fragile, don't have the durability of other engines. This is good to know.

The other parts are not Mecoa, but genuine Fox of Fort Smith, AR parts. These will go a long way to keeping this engine in top running shape for a while. Again, thank you Ken!

Also, about 2 weeks ago, @Mike1984 sent me a very nice gift of Cox Sportsman parts. I'll post those later, when I get a chance to photograph them. Those I'll post in my Sportsman thread. Thanks again, Mike!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:29 pm

George, I'm glad the package arrived safe and sound. Enjoy the parts, I hope the head gasket brings new life to it. These items are increasingly becoming harder and harder to locate. The loose driveplates of earlier engines are a recipe for always getting lost so I made certain you had a extra. You may never need it but if you do, it will certainly put the fun back into the picture. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:38 am

The Fox Hustler 10 turned up today-its in excellent order and feels nice flicked over with a prop on it. Its one of the later versions-with 'FOX' on the case (albeit in very small letters!) and the backplate attached by 2 screws-as per the cross flow Rocket 15 [the early version used a screw in backplate like the Fox Rocket.09]..also the control line variant with no provision for fitting the 'chopper' exhaust baffle.

Looking forward to doing some comparative tests with it against the Fox 09 and Gilbert 11

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:34 pm

Chris, a tach run demo of those 3 engines, Fox .09 Rocket, Fox .10 Hustler, and A.C. Gilbert .11 Thunderhead is an excellent idea, looking forward to what numbers you get from them.

My guess is that Duke Fox named the .10 after the B-58 that was out around the same time.

I now have a functioning propeller tach. Similarly, I want to do similar with my Fox .09 Rocket, A.C. Gilbert .11, Cox .15 Sportsman, and Cox .049 Thermal Hopper in the near future at this 4,300 feet (1,311 m) elevation.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:52 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Chris, a tach run demo of those 3 engines, Fox .09 Rocket, Fox .10 Hustler, and A.C. Gilbert .11 Thunderhead is an excellent idea, looking forward to what numbers you get from them.

I now have a functioning propeller tach. Similarly, I want to do similar with my Fox .09 Rocket, A.C. Gilbert .11, Cox .15 Sportsman, and Cox .049 Thermal Hopper in the near future at this 4,300 feet (1,311 m) elevation.

I'm far closer to sea level than your altitude....I'm thinking I will run two fuels 10% and 25%, and perhaps half a dozen props from 8x4 down to say 6x4....something like 8x4, 8x3, 7-1/2 x3-1/2, 7x4, 7x3, 6.5x3, 6x4. I did whip the backplate off to check inside after I unwrapped it-the gas passage is quite small only 5/32"...and the venturi not much bigger at 11/64"....I suspect that the induction system may well be quite limiting....but the shaft journal diameter is only 1/4"-so there is no spare material to make the gas passage any bigger-and 3/64" wall thickness is not a lot of strength to start with! I did note though-no big end wear and zero slop in the ball joint little end.....which is promising....the head however seems to have been tightened up by a torque wrench-and showed no inclination to move-so I hope the element is intact...once I find a prop the Hustler is especially happy on-I'd like to try out the alternative heads...which at this stage would seem to be the Fox 099 head, the Gilbert 11 and any permutation on a Cox 15 glowhead....of course there might be a lot of +/- head shimming required to get the best out of them...

....I'm tempted-if the 10 shows any promise-to grab a spare shaft from Mecoa, and see if anything useful could be done to the shaft port with a bit of reworking.... which makes comparison with the Gilbert 11 much more interesting if some of the reports on the latter are true..

ChrisM
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:20 am

I found my Hustler .10 to be a terrific engine. I know Ron Cribbs had one many years ago and he quickly unbolted it from the nose. I didn't expect much in performance based on the Rocket .09. I like the Rocket .09 and one needs to remember, it's a entry level design and it does fit the bill. Whatever you do, don't toss out any burnt plugs. I've had very good success drilling and tapping the old heads for standard longs. The one thing that I couldn't do was to mill the top of the plug to lower it down into the combustion area. My friend does that for me. It really works well unlike most smaller engines which suffer from compression loss due to the thread and cavity area of the standard plugs.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:49 am

Ken Cook wrote:            I found my Hustler .10 to be a terrific engine. I know Ron Cribbs had one many years ago and he quickly unbolted it from the nose. I didn't expect much in performance based on the Rocket .09. I like the Rocket .09 and one needs to remember, it's a entry level design and it does fit the bill. Whatever you do, don't toss out any burnt plugs. I've had very good success drilling and tapping the old heads for standard longs. The one thing that I couldn't do was to mill the top of the plug to lower it down into the combustion area. My friend does that for me. It really works well unlike most smaller engines which suffer from compression loss due to the thread and cavity area of the standard plugs.
Thanks, Ken for the inputs. Thumbs Up

Along with what you said, I gather that matching power and prop thrust to the right airframes, they performed well. Bob @rsv1cox had very good success with a Testors .19 Black Head on a Sterling Nieuport 28 C/L, Thumbs Up because although heavier, it has such a short nose that the heavier engine balanced well in that airframe.

I gather that the Fox .09 Rocket would do well in a DeBolt DMECO 26" All American.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:24 pm

Thanks for remembering George, and you hit the nail on the head.  A match made in heaven.  Some may disagree.  I flew that airplane combo for a long, long time and it never diasppointed.  Bet if I did a quick patch job on it today and flew it, it would still thrill.  Loved that airplane, never equalled even with my scratched P-38.  Bought three more kits, saved one NIB, built another (loft) and gave one away right here on the forum.  

Pictured with my new best friend.

Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 P1015243
Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 P1015241
Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 P1015242

Just thought, that airplane is at least 45 years old.  Last flown with a buddy of mine at NATC Patuxent River on a P3V compass rose test circle.  Perfect U/C flying site but unforgiving if you lawn darted it.

Edit....It was a .29 not a .19. Still George, you have amazing recall as evidenced many times here.

Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 Wen_ni13
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:29 pm

My Fox .09 is going on a Consolidated  Wow Wee.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:50 pm

Ken Cook wrote:My Fox .09 is going on a Consolidated  Wow Wee.
Ken, not knowing what that plane is, found it on RC Groups.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1969851-Consolidated-WoW-EE-kit
Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 23in_w10

Seems to be a really nice combat design, very clean looking and IMO definitely enough wing area for the lighter Fox .09 Rocket. Ought to be a blast to fly when done.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:53 pm

That looks like an awesome Half A flying wing! cheers I really like the swept back leading edge - Looks great Thumbs Up
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:06 am

Did somebody mention a P38? If so two Fox 0.099's could be installed with counter rotating props just like the original.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:57 am

706jim wrote:Did somebody mention a P38? If so two Fox 0.099's could be installed with counter rotating props just like the original.

Funny you should mention that.....I have a rather nice profile scale P-38 plan by Ian Peacock...for two 09 engines....hmmmm.....now do I have a 7x4 3-blade pusher....

ChrisM

ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:04 am

Ken Cook wrote:My Fox .09 is going on a Consolidated  Wow Wee.
I wish you would do a build thread on this Ken ,Joe sent me one of these kits appears to be pretty old and will need some of the wood replaced plus the die crush is very light making it hard to tell where the line is . With the box only being 5.5 X 12.5 " it looks bigger than it is still at 23" W/S though . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:23 am

I'm a huge fan of the older upright engine combat planes. The Consolidated WOW is the .35 size. I have a few others very similar. Many years back I would pass on these designs until one day one of my club members suggested some to me. He told me that these might just surprise you. In fact, it did just that. Upright engine versions work very well. For instance, if you put a Fox .35 on one, it offers more power vs mounted profile. The engine really doesn't burp and the run is complimented by the tank directly behind the engine. This means no hiccups, extremely short fuel line and all around terrific fuel draw. On a downside, smack the ground and the engine or plane is destroyed.

My friend who provided me the 1/2A WoW had mentioned of his experiences with it using the Fox .09. Another engine that I would like to use is the Mccoy .098. As underwhelming as the Mccoy is, I've seen this engine really perform on 1/2A's. My flying partner Dan has a Mccoy .098 in a Joy products Stunt Runt and this plane is amazing. Dan is also a top notch builder who essentially redesigned everything to make it as light as possible.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:34 am

WoW a .35 size that sounds crazy , i guess you would have a lot less wood warp and cleaner cuts So . I found my Rocket .09 It was on the cleaning board benith some other stuff , It needs a needle and spring and a cleaning , has no pack plate . Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:04 am

Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 Img_2150
Fox .09 Rocket Acquisition - Page 2 Img_2151
She is a little rough and locked up tight , I don't know if I will fix a back plate for it or not need to get it turning over first and see what I have . Very Happy

Last edited by getback on Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add on)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:28 pm

Eric, it also lacks a complete spray bar? Other than lacking a complete NVA, is it otherwise in good enough condition that once freed up, rest is in good order to be a runner?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:53 am

I am glad you seen that I wasn't sure since never seen one before ? I don't know about its shape because its locked up tight ... I will need to get it loosened up to check the comp. anyway . I see Mecoa don't even offer a replacement DUH . OH well for now ! but i have one lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next