Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin Cox_ba12

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin Empty
Live on Patrol

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin Empty Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:33 pm

Kim did a post and a video on one three years ago here:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14094-front-yard-flying-with-the-scientific-kingpin?highlight=kingpin

This one popped up on ebay BIN last week.  Funny, I had just mentioned one in a Ken post.  

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin P1016038
Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin P1016039
Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin P1016040
Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin P1016042
Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin P1016041

Last time I broke a seal on one was back in the Fifties.  Profile, no hollow log.  Built up wing.  Broke into a few BlackHawk clones, their Cyclone hangs from the ceiling in the basement.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin Empty Re: Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin

Post  Kim Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:05 pm

WHOA MOMMA!!!!

Flashback City!!!

My Billy-Built Kingpin flies great on a healthy .020!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin Empty Re: Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin

Post  944_Jim Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:20 pm

Trace it, scan it, digitize it...please!

I don't think Outerzone has this one.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:05 pm

944_Jim wrote:Trace it, scan it, digitize it...please!

I don't think Outerzone has this one.

See what I can do.

Sealed, it still had that "New car" smell. No moldy balsa, mouse droppings, or cockroached plans. I'm moving up. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:27 pm

Not long ago, I opened an NOS Scientific kit, 18-in. Piper Super Cruiser hollow log, same smell as yours, ditto with an old Comet kit, 15-in. Porterfield 65, and 10.5-in. Estes Star Wars Y-Wing Fighter. All have that new balsa aroma. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:26 am

Cool !Brand new out of the package , it looks good to i know what you mean about the intruders that get into our kits . You going to build that baby or just ogle it Very Happy I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:55 am

getback wrote:Cool !Brand new out of the package , it looks good to i know what you mean about the intruders  that get into our kits . You going to build that baby or just ogle it Very Happy I Love This Forum!

Probably not that one, but maybe this one:

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin S-l16025
Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin S-l16026

After I bought the sealed Kingpin the seller asked me if I would like to buy another that he just found and sent me those pictures. $30.00. I passed then had second thoughts. I haven't put together a built-up wing for ages. Sent him a message (ebay) last night offering him $30.00 shipped if he still has it.

More like what I'm used to, dirty, stained and crushed........
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:21 pm

Yea i hear ya on the been a while would love to see and i think you would too get the satisfaction out o a nice easy build // with the restoration skills you have I think it want bee that hard ... take your time // and there is the 2023 Run what YA BRUNG event and would love to have you over there Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:23 pm

Bob, just looking at the photos of your Scientific Kingpin kits, except for the easier to build profile fuselage, they follow very closely to the aerodynamic profile of the Cox TD-3, IMO. Once constructed, I imagine that the Kingpin's flight profile would be very similar to the TD-3.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:44 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Bob, just looking at the photos of your Scientific Kingpin kits, except for the easier to build profile fuselage, they follow very closely to the aerodynamic profile of the Cox TD-3, IMO. Once constructed, I imagine that the Kingpin's flight profile would be very similar to the TD-3.

Yes, I'm all excited to build the crumpled example (no guilt) but the seller hasn't got back to me on it. Perhaps I hurt his feelings when I passed on his offer.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:24 pm

Hi Bob,
Cool thread ! Cool
~1967 I mailed a letter to Americas Hobby Centre in New York.
Asking if the 'Kingpin' was built up construction, and how much to send me one.
Did not get a reply... Sad
There was a 'duty/dollar difference' at the time.
Never got to see a 'Scientific' kit here.
Thanks for sharing your project... Cool
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:33 pm

HalfaDave wrote:~1967 I mailed a letter to Americas Hobby Centre in New York. Asking if the 'Kingpin' was built up construction, and how much to send me one. Did not get a reply... Sad There was a 'duty/dollar difference' at the time. Never got to see a 'Scientific' kit here.
Dave, what half-A C/L kits did they sell in Canada at the time? Were they British kits instead, like Keil-Kraft, Mercury Models and Veron?
rsv1cox wrote:Yes, I'm all excited to build the crumpled example (no guilt) but the seller hasn't got back to me on it.  Perhaps I hurt his feelings when I passed on his offer.
Bob, I doubt if you really hurt his feelings. May be he already has a buyer?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:56 am

Hi GG,
I do not want to 'booger' this thread. But.. Smile
Here in Canada we got American non glossy magazines.
Half the prices we paid here. ($1.95US for a Kingpin ! )
I was 9yrs old.
I have not seen a Scientific kit here, hence the interest.
Anything Cox, was very expensive.
The local hobby shop owner must have bootlegged Cox stuff here. Smile
Yes, on all the British kits here. Tariff thing back then. Shocked
Hi Bob,
I have some paint-able heat shrink covering for you.
Message me. Could be there by the time you get to 220 grit !
Thanks for sharing this project with us, Cool
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:41 am

Hi Bob,
I have some paint-able heat shrink covering for you.
Message me. Could be there by the time you get to 220 grit !
Thanks for sharing this project with us, Cool
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

Thanks Dave..........We'll have to talk. That's a lot of trouble filling out customs forms and shipping isn't cheap. I'll PM you.

But' here's some eye candy. I was looking over ebay last night for something and found this auction that was ending shortly. I just got the Scientific Kingpin and a P-40 and thought - why not? Made my usual one-time proxy bid and won it. Still haven't heard from the Kingpin guy. I might have to tickle his email again. I would really like to build that broken up kit. No guilt ya know.

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin P51_co10

There is something about Scientific plans that give me chills, I'm 15 again......

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin P51_pl10
Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin P51_co11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:01 am

Kim wrote:WHOA MOMMA!!!! Flashback City!!! My Billy-Built Kingpin flies great on a healthy .020!!!
@Kim, I saw your Kingpin in another thread, downloaded the plan JPG scan.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14094-front-yard-flying-with-the-scientific-kingpin
Kim on May 21, 2020 wrote:The winds finally dropped enough to let me get in some flying with the Scientific "Kingpin" built by my fellow Breezy Hill Flyer, Billy Lang. The little .020 is using one of the new 3-D printed backplates and runs fine, though a little cranky (like any Pee Wee worth it's salt), and I was able to log several flights.  

The Kingpin is definitely NOT over-powered with the Pee Wee, but clips along fast enough to pull big inside loops.  One problem I need to work on is it's inverted flight, but I'm too tired and cranky myself right now to think about it.  Safe to say that it survived it's inverted landing in the soft turf.  We shall return!

I didn't realize that the Kingpin plan shows a .020 Pee Wee installed.

All Scientific magazine ads only show the wing square inches of 50, Bob's box show 62 square inches. What is the wingspan of the Kingpin?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:12 am

George, you sure do pick up on stuff.

Yes, 62 sq in, but checkout that slotted leading edge. Looks kind of short to me. I wonder what the wing spread is, I must be missing something.

Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin Kingpi10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:41 am

Hi All,
The Kingfish looks very Ringmaster ish...
OR...?
Is it... the other way round ?
Just inquiring... Smile
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:07 pm

George/Bob,

You asked about the wingspan...one of the Scientific eBay auctions shows this kit right now. The ad indicates a 14" wingspan.

The rib slot count looks right on Bob's fresh kit wood LE. Add a bit for wingtips.

I've scanned many Scientific "plansheets" in the past. For each I always rescan the overhead "mini-view" at high resolution, and then re-save as a full size overhead view. I'd be glad to do the same for this plan, but I don't have an original to work with. Sigh...

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:18 pm

Thanks Jim for the 14-in. wingspan info. @Kim uploaded a scan in this thread:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t12704-gifted-scientific-kingpin-gets-a-re-fit
Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin Scient11

CEF imaging upload rescales to reduce storage. He may still have the original scan somewhere, that may be of use to you. Short of that, his scan upload, even though reduced to 1024 pixels wide, can be scaled to provide a scale print. Even better, a slight more upscaling could allow this design to be flown by a hopped up .049 reedie, Medallion or Tee Dee .049.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duaneh Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:45 pm

rsv1cox wrote:But' here's some eye candy. I was looking over ebay last night for something and found this auction that was ending shortly. I just got the Scientific Kingpin and a P-40 and thought - why not? Made my usual one-time proxy bid and won it. Still haven't heard from the Kingpin guy. I might have to tickle his email again. I would really like to build that broken up kit. No guilt ya know.
Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin P51_co10

Great score on the Mustang, Bob. If you're looking to build one, this should be it. The 23" Mustang has one of the largest wings of any of the hollow logs, and flies very well because of it. I "cloned" one a few years ago, and it is one of my favorite flyers.
Breaking the seal on a Scientific Kingpin 100_4715
duaneh
duaneh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:17 am

Duane,

That is one stunning log! No cartoonist proportions, fabulous finish, and just enough wear on the finish at the front to call this "not a hangar queen."

If you ever got a flying shot/picture from the starboard side (to show the engine), that would be an engine of the month contender. I'd vote for it.

Any chance you care to make a thread just to showcase it? What  did you use to glue the canopy on?

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:31 am

That Kingpin’s a cutie Bob…. I like the treatment of the front end, Just works on this plane…Profile Plus? Very Happy ….. Looking forward your build…. I think you’ll enjoy it…. Watched Kim’s KP video many times…Nice little plane…

Beautiful work as always Duaneh…. You’ve really mastered nice finish Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:03 am

Another beauty Duane, your fit and finishes are spectacular.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddy Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:04 pm

I had some nice engine runs on the Kingpin years ago with an OK Cub .024. on 25 ft. lines. I really think that even a Cub .049 would seem to overpower the little 65 sq. in. wing plane. Too much nose wt. seems to take away any stunting ability it would have here. My original Kingpin plan has a date code of 1958 that states for a half- A engine. My original Kingpin still hangs in the basement, it has a 13 in. wing span. I have around 30 of the Musciano Scientific plans kept over the years, not as many as to what was produced. I do have a somewhat rare set of plans for the Piper "Sea Scout" that flew with floats from water or wet grass. A project I could never find the time to build an fly Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:18 pm

Ah Eddy, at 78 your up in my territory and can remember buying these Scientific kits first hand.

30 sets of plans...........I kept most of mine but wish I had kept them all. Maybe 7 or 8 in total and I kept only four. Trying to recover now what ones I missed.

The fellow I got the NIB Kingpin from finally got back to me. As I thought he was miffed that I passed on his offer. A business decision for me not personal but I guess he took it that way. Told him I would pay shipping. Ball is again in his court.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next