Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Cox_ba12

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:17 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Empty
Live on Patrol

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds?

Go down

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Empty Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds?

Post  Puffie40 Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:28 am

I have been cleaning a second lot of cox engines and I notice that these motors have a bit more wear on them.

I think a couple of bores are somewhat rough-looking, and another pair seem to have lips worn into the the front where the driveplate rubs (Electric starters? Pusher props? The result of the spring starter?)

So, what are some guidelines on deeming a crankcase fit for continued service?
Puffie40
Puffie40
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Empty Re: Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds?

Post  RknRusty Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:48 am

Puffie40 wrote:I have been cleaning a second lot of cox engines and I notice that these motors have a bit more wear on them.

I think a couple of bores are somewhat rough-looking, and another pair seem to have lips worn into the the front where the driveplate rubs (Electric starters? Pusher props? The result of the spring starter?)

Add unbalanced props and bent prop screws to the list of possibilities for a galled nose. And very likely is running it with dirt from a crash. If the rear bearing journal is rough it could be from running dry after sitting for a long time with no after run lube.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Empty Re: Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds?

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:53 am

Puffie40 wrote:I have been cleaning a second lot of cox engines and I notice that these motors have a bit more wear on them.

These engines are super tough! If the crank has no noticeable play when installed in the case then run it. Even if it has a little play I wouldn't worry to much either. I have a couple well worn engines and the cases/cranks are still fine.

If you are building a high RPM engine then you may want to be a little more picky.

Edit: the cranks and cases are cheap and plentiful so if you have any doubt just grab a new one.

BTW is that a Hodaka your sitting on?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 am

Recommend the use of Cox wrenches for disassembly/assembly. Using commom pliers can very often cause damage and cause "tool marks"..

Study the information provided by Cox International on their site. We have excellent parts support from our several vendors. Most everything is available and at nominal prices.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Puffie40 Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks for the input so far guys. I'll take a long hard look at them once they come out of the alcohol.

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? P1010604
Yep - 1972 Wombat 125, just finished restoring it last summer. I'm a little too big for it, but it was a fun project!
Puffie40
Puffie40
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:35 pm

Good Job!

I had a '74 Super Combat. Great bikes! The first Hodaka I ever rode was an Ace 90. Looks like it fits you just fine. They were all small........

Enjoy it!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  engine049 Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:04 pm

What are you working on Te Dee or babe bee? There are phonelic shims and prop washers available for each even if it cameth not stock on your engine you may consider that if's too sloppy sendeth pics if you can....
engine049
engine049
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://TreeTiger.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:12 pm

What exactly were the phenolic washer's for? They come on all the TD's from the get go from .049-.15. The .010 and .020 don't have them. I assume it is to prevent damage to the driveplate? Not sure.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:30 pm

cribbs74 wrote:What exactly were the phenolic washer's for? They come on all the TD's from the get go from .049-.15. The .010 and .020 don't have them. I assume it is to prevent damage to the driveplate? Not sure.
That's what they do. Pushers might need them, or an engine with too much crank end play.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:08 pm

RknRusty wrote:That's what they do. Pushers might need them, or an engine with too much crank end play.

Yup.

If you are inclined to use an electric starter, a drop or two of fuel behind the driveplate can add a little lube and reduce driveplate/case nose wear.

But, the crank endplay Rusty mentioned can have some effects that may be detrimental. Generally, the thrust bearing, the mating surface on the front of the crankshaft web and the case surface at the back of the crankcase journal, stays well lubed and has enough area not to wear excessively. So, the end play usually is due to wearing at the case nose and back of the drive plate. Failure fully seat the driveplate after repair can also lead to endplay.

If the crank moves forward, it's not too bad, but when the crank moves back, the crank pin can wear on the reed carrier for reedies or on the backplate of the TD's. It can also alter the geometry of the conrod and pin. As the crank pushes back, the conrod/pin angle may no longer be 90 degrees and the bottom end of the rod may show premature wear.

So, check your endplay and shim if necessary.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:36 pm

I occasionally check for contact, especially after a reassembly. I push the driveplate towards the rear, turn and listen, as well as feel for anything that indicates the crank pin is touching anything. Always inspect the reed housing for scrape marks. Or the backplate on a TD/Medallion.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  engine049 Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:41 am

cribbs74 wrote:What exactly were the phenolic washer's for? They come on all the TD's from the get go from .049-.15. The .010 and .020 don't have them. I assume it is to prevent damage to the driveplate? Not sure.

Don't forget Queen Bees have a strange size SmaSmellic shim too Smile
Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Sam_1931

COUGH, I mean
Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Sam_1932
engine049
engine049
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:13 am

Puffie40 wrote:Thanks for the input so far guys. I'll take a long hard look at them once they come out of the alcohol.

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? P1010604
Yep - 1972 Wombat 125, just finished restoring it last summer. I'm a little too big for it, but it was a fun project!

awesome bike man, wish i had a dirt bike of my own
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  engine049 Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:30 am

Alcohol.... Another thing you should know. Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) based cleaners, Purple Dragon, Purple power. VERY fast effective cleaner Much better and faster than Alcohol. Don't leave the parts in for long or will blacken the aluminum but it is SOOOO fast. Also Hard on the hands use gloves.

Another thing I do when i have greasy especially dirt under nails I spray my hands w/purple power and put gloves on 3 min later you`re ready for date night. I'm probably gonna end up w skin cancer LOL

Not my pic below

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? 11492910
engine049
engine049
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Puffie40 Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:26 am

Alcohol.... Another thing you should know. Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) based cleaners, Purple Dragon, Purple power. VERY fast effective cleaner Much better and faster than Alcohol. Don't leave the parts in for long or will blacken the aluminum but it is SOOOO fast. Also Hard on the hands use gloves.

That's really good to know! I'll start using it when I work on some motors back home - it can't be any more nasty than the "Crock pot of antifreeze" I've heard of other hobbyists using. I'm using 99% isopropyl alcohol right now because its easier to dispose of and contain in the apartment I have.

On the subject of mounting drive plates - what some alternative methods of pressing the drive plate on? Screwing a propeller on does not seem to push it as far as I would like it. I may wind up buying an arbor press!

Also, what is an acceptable clearance between the driveplate and crankcase?
Puffie40
Puffie40
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:10 am

[quote="Puffie40"]
I don't know the max, but the Paul Gibeault racing article says .015" or less is best. I've had a Black Widow run fine with .022" but it looked like the crank pin had touched the (plastic type) reed housing. In any case, .022" is on the verge of sloppy. If I ever use that case again I'll use a spacer. It doesn't have to be phenolic, stainless steel should work fine. Or aluminum, which you could make.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Empty I alyays used a vice

Post  engine049 Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Use a vice, find a pusher 1/4 drill bit or something that will sit as flat as possible A flat top bolt works really well SHORT so it dosen`t go off to the side on the crank and flat against squeeze till its down. I always used a 2 axis vice from harbor freight for 30 40$ but thats cuz i used to mill cox cut aways and such and stuff and stuff http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=vice Any vice'll do

Additional tip. You can find somehting like a plastic tip cap for the bolt u use for the crank that will avoid damage but its hardened steel I suggest grinding it flat and using metal to metal i never caused any damage in mine and used both methods.

At spot number 1 cut the blades off a propeller and use that as a pusher or drill a place for the nipple to go into wood anyhting will do but don't mar up the metal flat prop spinner use some wood.

Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Sam_1934
engine049
engine049
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  engine049 Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Puffie40 wrote:

That's really good to know! I'll start using it when I work on some motors back home - it can't be any more nasty than the "Crock pot of antifreeze" I've heard of other hobbyists using. I'm using 99% isopropyl alcohol right now because its easier to dispose of and contain in the apartment I have.

On the subject of mounting drive plates - what some alternative methods of pressing the drive plate on? Screwing a propeller on does not seem to push it as far as I would like it. I may wind up buying an arbor press!

Also Ideally you want an ultrasonic parts bath with TC (thermal control) Don't even thing about using a crock pot that's only for yummy production!
P.S spend more than $50 on a ultrasonic bath BTW the others you will buy are not real ultrasonic baths they are BS and they will break and are just an electro motor with a vibrator Not real ultrasonic THIS one really is real. P.SS I have real experience with buying some BS http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html is exactly what I have its AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

you might be tempted to buy something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-Ultravibra-Wave-EyeGlasses-Jewelry-Coins-Watch-Washing-Cleaner-Washer-/160760423948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256e11660c DONT DO IT ITS JUNK
engine049
engine049
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:41 pm

engine049 wrote:Use a vice, find a pusher 1/4 drill bit or something that will sit as flat as possible A flat top bolt works really well SHORT so it dosen`t go off to the side on the crank and flat against squeeze till its down. I always used a 2 axis vice from harbor freight for 30 40$ but thats cuz i used to mill cox cut aways and such and stuff and stuff http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=vice Any vice'll do

Additional tip. You can find somehting like a plastic tip cap for the bolt u use for the crank that will avoid damage but its hardened steel I suggest grinding it flat and using metal to metal i never caused any damage in mine and used both methods.

At spot number 1 cut the blades off a propeller and use that as a pusher or drill a place for the nipple to go into wood anyhting will do but don't mar up the metal flat prop spinner use some wood.

[Image]

Sorry, Tom, but I don't understand what you're doing here. Unfortunately I don't have a machinist background like you do. What is this procedure accomplishing?

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  engine049 Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:27 pm

engine049 wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Sorry, Tom, but I don't understand what you're doing here. Unfortunately I don't have a machinist background like you do. What is this procedure accomplishing?

Okay pretend my fingers are the vice that's how to put the prop drive plate on it is accomplishing busing the cranlshaft against the drive plate to drive the Crank into the drive plate

Before Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Sam_1935

SQUISH

AFTER Inspecting Crankcases - What are the thresholds? Sam_1936

Last edited by RknRusty on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed quote tags)
engine049
engine049
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  engine049 Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Using medallion crank and TD 09 drive plate for instructional purposes only
engine049
engine049
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Oh, okay, I wasn't sure what you were getting at. Got it now, thanks

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down