Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws Cox_ba12

Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 12:38 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws Empty
Live on Patrol

Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws

Go down

Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws Empty Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws

Post  Kim Mon May 28, 2012 10:44 am

Thought this MIGHT be a little over the top, but considering how some of you seem to suffer from the same O.C.D. that I do, figured I'd post this. If it's shown up previously, please forgive.

With the constant (and justified) emphasis on fuel and internal cleanliness, this is something I've been doing for a long time to help insure bits of goop don't face off with my needlevales.

A pretty good length of the mounting threads on tanked engines are constantly bathed in fuel as the engine does it's thing. Especially with older engines or restorations, the open threads can become packed like teeth needing a good flossing. Soaking and brushing will work, but I like to chuck them in a variable speed drill, and run a die down to the head and back, then re-soak them in my fuel tray.

There ALWAYS seems to be a considerable amount of goop deposits left in the die's channels, and I like to think that this MIGHT help avoid one of those moments when an otherwise friendly engine turns in to moody candidate for the parts bin.

This may hit either the limit for "Super-simple-minded-stuff-that-everybody-knows", or "Man!-you're-over-the-top-goofy!", but that's life in the Skunk Works...

Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws 1_t10

Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws 1_t210

Last edited by Kim on Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws Empty Re: Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws

Post  Admin Mon May 28, 2012 12:20 pm

I always make sure that the threads are clean on the ends where it enters the crankcase. I let the screws soak for a little bit then hit them with some paper towels and maybe some toothpicks if the crap won't come out of the threads.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws Empty Re: Cleaning the Threads of Tank Mounting Screws

Post  fit90 Mon May 28, 2012 1:17 pm

Kim,

Be careful not to cut the threads too many times or else they will not hold as well. A thread file may be a gentler solution to the same problem. By the way, this is a great idea that I have never considered.

Thanks,

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Mon May 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon May 28, 2012 8:21 pm

fit90 wrote:Kim,

Be careful not to cut the threads too many times or else they will not hold as well. A thread file may be a gentler solution to the same problem. By the way, this is a great idea that I have never considered.

Thanks,

Bob

Yeah...I don't do it as a matter of regular maintenance, just long-sitters or strays that need some TLC....figured I'd mention it...with some of these, there's a BUNCH of goo that packs the die's channels. I like knowing that stuff is out of there!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue May 29, 2012 8:32 am

I hold my tank screws with pliers and assault them with the wire brush on the smaller of my two bench grinders. It does the job pretty well. It makes working on big engines, cars and lawn mowers, a whole lot easier. I would like to get a tap and die set for all of the Cox sizes.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Tue May 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Not unlike Kim's O.C.D., I always chase the crancase threads(2-56 bottoming tap) after a good soak
or ultra-sonic cleaning w/Hoppe's #9 solvent. Then back in the solvent, and blown out
with compressed air. This a must if you are using aftermarket screws that are 3/4"(5cc tank)
or 1"(8cc tank). The old Cox screws are just a tad shorter, but will bottom out in really old, hardened
castor oil, and threading the full length of the hole will accomodate the the aftermarket screws.
Before I started this sacred ritual, screws would bottom out making me think the backplate was tight
and leave me with a leaking engine.
Also the same goes for the prop screw threads(5-40) in the crank.
Oh, and I love doing this. Smoking Huh...
Bob

dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down