Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

fox engine size, help Cox_ba12

fox engine size, help Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

fox engine size, help Empty
Live on Patrol

fox engine size, help

Go down

fox engine size, help Empty fox engine size, help

Post  mitchg95 Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:46 am

hello, i have the opportunity to purchase a old FOX control line engine from a local antique store that has lots of neat stuff like live steam model locomotives rare engines for mini bikes and what not, any way this engine is in near mint condition but is missing the whole needle valve assembly and it looks like someground the displacement size off of the side of the engine. I think it might be a 25? And it has a 3 bolt backplate, if that might help on the size and age that would be awesome
I do not know the price yet as the gentelmen running the store just got this and another engine (mds 28) on consighnment this week and they are both missing the needle valves
thanks
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

fox engine size, help Empty fox engine size, help

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:20 am

Mitch, I would say due to the 3 bolt backplate he has the late 50's Fox .25. This engine should look appearance wise to look identical to it's big brother the Fox .35 that Kim posted in his recent post. The venturi is casted into the case as well.That displacement may have been ground off at the Fox factory as this wasn't uncommon . The newer 4 bolt backplate version had a bolt on venturi that was held in place by 2 screws. That being said the engine is quite old and probably more value to those that flew them in older design planes. Fox may still have some parts so calling them first is always recommended.

There's a seller on Ebay that sells several Fox parts all on Buy It Now auctions. The problem is even though several may fit the case, the most important is the inner diameter of the spraybar. These engines are extremely critical on choke area. A thinner spray bar is going to impede fuel draw while a fatter unit could certainly rob your power. It only takes a few thousandths to alter the run. This engine and if it is the Fox.35 looking model, was used by Don Stills who was famous for the Stills Stuka. He used his design and that .25 competitively.That engine would be a perfect engine for those that want to fly old time stunt.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but if you were looking for a .25 size engine, I would certainly look for a modern version as these can be tempermental and take a bit of Fox finesse to make them run correctly. MDS I believe was a US importer of Russian engines. One word of caution here is that in the event you were to require parts, your probably out of luck. I'm not sure of your intentions whether you running them in planes or just collecting them. I'm just saying before making a decision these small tips are something to think about. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

fox engine size, help Empty Re: fox engine size, help

Post  mitchg95 Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:34 am

shawn cook wrote: Mitch, I would say due to the 3 bolt backplate he has the late 50's Fox .25. This engine should look appearance wise to look identical to it's big brother the Fox .35 that Kim posted in his recent post. The venturi is casted into the case as well.That displacement may have been ground off at the Fox factory as this wasn't uncommon . The newer 4 bolt backplate version had a bolt on venturi that was held in place by 2 screws. That being said the engine is quite old and probably more value to those that flew them in older design planes. Fox may still have some parts so calling them first is always recommended.

There's a seller on Ebay that sells several Fox parts all on Buy It Now auctions. The problem is even though several may fit the case, the most important is the inner diameter of the spraybar. These engines are extremely critical on choke area. A thinner spray bar is going to impede fuel draw while a fatter unit could certainly rob your power. It only takes a few thousandths to alter the run. This engine and if it is the Fox.35 looking model, was used by Don Stills who was famous for the Stills Stuka. He used his design and that .25 competitively.That engine would be a perfect engine for those that want to fly old time stunt.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but if you were looking for a .25 size engine, I would certainly look for a modern version as these can be tempermental and take a bit of Fox finesse to make them run correctly. MDS I believe was a US importer of Russian engines. One word of caution here is that in the event you were to require parts, your probably out of luck. I'm not sure of your intentions whether you running them in planes or just collecting them. I'm just saying before making a decision these small tips are something to think about. Ken

thanks for the input Ken, i am mostly a collector of engines and dont run them very often mostly because my dad says i can only run them with him and he is really nervous about them to
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:16 pm

Nearly all old Fox parts are still available new, if you go ahead with buying this I can give you a couple of EMail addresses for folks who sell them.
As Shawn quite rightly said, you will need to be absolutely sure of the engine's size before you order a NVA, they are not interchangable between sizes on early engines.
Most Fox NVAs run about $15.00, so beware of EBay sellers offering them for large amounts of money!
One word of warning, some of these early Fox engines appear to have parts made from metal which is so thin and brittle that they break VERY easily, and this is not improved with age, handle with GREAT care!

Wilf

Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:29 pm

well im not getting th engine guys, the seller says he wants $150 for it. and i dont have even half that
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:01 pm

mitchg95 wrote:well im not getting th engine guys, the seller says he wants $150 for it. and i dont have even half that

He has GOT to be joking! Cloud Cuckoo Land here I come!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:04 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:well im not getting th engine guys, the seller says he wants $150 for it. and i dont have even half that

He has GOT to be joking! Cloud Cuckoo Land here I come!

i told the guy at the antique store that i could not pay that much, so he asked "well how much could you do'' i said i could only do $50.
Well sure is a bummer Sad but i would pay that price if it was larger or a nice cox engine at a great deal even at $150
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

fox engine size, help Empty re: fox engin

Post  happydad Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:29 pm

mitchg95 wrote:hello, i have the opportunity to purchase a old FOX control line engine from a local antique store that has lots of neat stuff like live steam model locomotives rare engines for mini bikes and what not, any way this engine is in near mint condition but is missing the whole needle valve assembly and it looks like someground the displacement size off of the side of the engine. I think it might be a 25? And it has a 3 bolt backplate, if that might help on the size and age that would be awesome
I do not know the price yet as the gentelmen running the store just got this and another engine (mds 28) on consighnment this week and they are both missing the needle valves
thanks

Mitch95 i've got a fox .10 / hustler 10 i picked up with an atwood i wanted. it is small, but it looks in good condition and only missing the muffler flapper see link:

edited 6-7-12 forgot about the broken needle mentioned later in forum.

http://www.modelenginecollectors.org/

happydad

Futaba Radio

Last edited by happydad on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:08 pm

happydad wrote:
Mitch95 i've got a fox .10 / hustler 10 i picked up with an atwood i wanted. it is small, but it looks in good condition and only missing the muffler flapper see link:

happydad

Futaba Radio

If Mitch isn't interested, I might well be, it would go nicely with my Fox .049 FAI Special

Wilf

Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

fox engine size, help Empty re: fox engine - wilf

Post  happydad Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:
happydad wrote:

happydad

Futaba Radio

If Mitch isn't interested, I might well be, it would go nicely with my Fox .049 FAI Special

Wilf

Wilf: for a quick pic see ebay link. look at second set of pics. i only wanted the atwood, but was intrigued by the hustler 10 story. i can see the fox symbol on the case in the right light where they removed it. happydad

p.s needle was bent and broken. i straightened and soldered, but it needs a sleeve over broken area or a new needle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320899331047?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:45 pm

happydad wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:hello, i have the opportunity to purchase a old FOX control line engine from a local antique store that has lots of neat stuff like live steam model locomotives rare engines for mini bikes and what not, any way this engine is in near mint condition but is missing the whole needle valve assembly and it looks like someground the displacement size off of the side of the engine. I think it might be a 25? And it has a 3 bolt backplate, if that might help on the size and age that would be awesome
thanks

happydad

Futaba Radio

what were you thinking on price???
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

fox engine size, help Empty re: fox/hustler 10

Post  happydad Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:20 pm

mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:
thanks

happydad

Futaba Radio

one just sold for $29.00 on ebay so i was thinking maybe $10 to $12 shipped depending on what part of the country you are in.

just wanted to mention broken/repaired? needle again.

happydad

Futaba Radio

Last edited by happydad on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remind of broken repaired? needle)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:56 pm

happydad wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:
thanks

happydad

Futaba Radio

one just sold for $29.00 on ebay so i was thinking maybe $10 to $12 shipped depending on what part of the country you are in.

happydad

Futaba Radio

the needle would be ok with as i am more of a collector than a runner, im interested. Ill get back to you as i have a freind who is getting out of rc cars in turn for atv's and might be buying one off of him for cheap
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:37 am

Quick addendum....
Not sure if we're talking about the same Russian engines we
Had over here a few years back but,-
MDS
In my experience over here it stands for either
Mini Dead Stick
Mine doesn't Start
Metal door stop
Made of Dog sh
Etc
Can be made to work well with an OS carb
But best avoided.
Only IMO obviously.
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:34 am

mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:
thanks

happydad

Futaba Radio

happydad

Futaba Radio

the needle would be ok with as i am more of a collector than a runner, im interested. Ill get back to you as i have a freind who is getting out of rc cars in turn for atv's and might be buying one off of him for cheap

If this saga ever ends, please remember my interest! lol!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

fox engine size, help Empty re: fox parts et all

Post  happydad Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:55 pm

[quote="Ivanhoe"][quote="mitchg95"][quote="happydad"][quote="mitchg95"]
happydad wrote:
thanks[/quo

If this saga ever ends, please remember my interest! lol!

wilf and others: if you need a middle man getting parts from fox or ebay i have helped other cox collectors and other collectors by having the parts shipped to me then shipping to New Zealand for instance. One friend in New Zealand purchased some cox parts on ebay and the seller refused to shipped to New Zealand, (???), so the ebay seller shipped the parts to me and i shipped them to New Zealand, (along with a little lathe work we agreed on). or course nothing illegal or extra heavy. just sellers who don't want to bother with the customs forms. if you need help i offer my help. happydad
p.s. and wilf if you want to see pics of the hustler 10 PM me. i think i cleaned it, but haven't finished repairing the needle yet.

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down