Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another rusted engine! Full size.... Cox_ba12

Another rusted engine! Full size.... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by akjgardner Today at 5:37 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:45 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:34 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:24 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Today at 11:48 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another rusted engine! Full size.... Empty
Live on Patrol

Another rusted engine! Full size....

Go down

Another rusted engine! Full size.... Empty Another rusted engine! Full size....

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:20 pm

I dug this one out of the ground, original owner was wise enough to stuff a rag in the carb before he let it sit outside. It was laying on it’s side and it was literally half buried. I pulled it out and it sat outside my shop for over 2 yrs. It was free so nothing to lose.

Once I finished my truck I decided to pull it into the shop and put it on the now empty engine stand. Nearly every bolt that was buried was rusted on and broke off during disassembly, fun times! I have spent the past few weeks cleaning, scraping, soaking, blowing, washing the engine to prep for machining. I was able to drill and re-tap all the broken bolt holes. I think it’s salvageable, number 4 cylinder was the only one that had rust in it, there is some dimpling in the cylinder wall and I hope since it’s still a standard bore with no ridge that it will clean up through the boring process.

Can anyone guess what the make and displacement is? Bragging rights if you can guess the yr and car it came out of.

Another rusted engine! Full size.... Bccf2410
Another rusted engine! Full size.... E9350f10
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Another rusted engine! Full size.... Empty Re: Another rusted engine! Full size....

Post  OhBee Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Appears to be a Ford...so you should have left it buried!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Another rusted engine! Full size.... Empty Re: Another rusted engine! Full size....

Post  OhBee Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:33 pm

....meanwhile  I'm back on 2 wheels after a long hiatus. This is after 2 wks.cleaning and polishing after being in storaAnother rusted engine! Full size.... 20200510
ge for 12 yrs.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:00 pm

It’s a Ford 170 inline Six,  outta 64 1/2 Mustang!?

2Nd guess, it’s got 5 freeze lugs so its a 200/250 ci
Maybe a 68 Falcon?

Last edited by Marleysky on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : 2nd Guess.)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:35 pm

Cribbs74 wrote: I have spent the past few weeks cleaning, scraping, soaking, blowing, washing the engine to prep for machining. I was able to drill and re-tap all the broken bolt holes.

Dude! Next time just put it in the crock pot overnight with some undiluted antifreeze!

The Helpful Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:54 pm

Marleysky wrote:It’s a Ford 170 inline Six,  outta 64 1/2 Mustang!?

2Nd guess, it’s got 5 freeze lugs so its a 200/250 ci
Maybe a 68 Falcon?

That’s close enough! 200 1967 Falcon.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:55 pm

batjac wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote: I have spent the past few weeks cleaning, scraping, soaking, blowing, washing the engine to prep for machining. I was able to drill and re-tap all the broken bolt holes.

Dude!  Next time just put it in the crock pot overnight with some undiluted antifreeze!

The Helpful Mark

Thanks Mark, that’s a great idea, now all I need is a 50 gallon crock pot.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:58 pm

OhBee wrote:....meanwhile  I'm back on 2 wheels after a long hiatus. This is after 2 wks.cleaning and polishing after being in storaAnother rusted engine! Full size.... 20200510
ge for 12 yrs.

I had a 550 in that same color. Looks good! Fun times ahead! If you have a full face helmet it should substitute for a face mask.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:58 pm

Ok,

So here’s the rest of the story......

I am toying with the idea of installing this into my MGA. If I do I am going to go all out. Crossflow head from Australia, triple SU carb, fast road cam, high comp pistons etc.

I already have the head on the way!  special thanks to Oldenginerod for that. Head cost me $80 US and another $165 to ship Shocked

Not too upset about that though as my alternative is to keep the crappy log head or spend $2500 on a 2V custom head that I have to wait to be manufactured.

Here is the head I am waiting for... When all is said and done this little 200 Ford will look like it came from the Abingdon plant in 1958.

Another rusted engine! Full size.... 0a7ce210
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:19 pm

Sounds like a good matchup...unless you can find a 67 Falcon! 🙂
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:35 pm

OhBee wrote:Appears to be a Ford...so you should have left it buried!

Too funny:D

I feel that way about GM 350’s and LS engines. I know they are good engines, but they get installed into everything and are just plain boring. There have been so many great engines produced that I just want to see folks branch out a little.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:25 am

I didn't offer a guess as I had some forewarning about the project. Strange how Ford gave the Aussie branch of the company enough scope to develop their own homegrown engines. Early Aussie Falcons used the same head as the US version of that era. Following the early red or green 144 or 170 "Pursuit" we had the blue US style 200, 221 & 250. The head that Ron is getting first showed up as a cast iron version in around 1979 and was also fitted to the Aussie Cortina. By 1983 it was aluminium alloy. They will fit the US block except that the area around where the pushrods exit the block needs to be relieved to account for the staggered rocker gear. Also, this doesn't leave a lot of room for the head gasket along the edge of the block, so the Aussie block was widened a little to help support the gasket. I think Ron's project has merit. In North America the combination will be fairly unique.
The block was modified further to allow for an overhead cam version in 1988 in 3.2lt & 3.9lt, fully Australian developed. These had serious head gasket issues, but were a "reasonable" performer.
In 2002 the 4 lt "Barra" DOHC engine was introduced, in both NA and Turbo versions. These engines are pretty awesome. Nearly indestructible and can be made to produce massive power for an inline 6. There is now a whole industry springing up importing these engines into North America for transplanting. They are super cheap here from wrecking yards because they are so reliable, there is little market for them. All gone now. Australia now has no car industry.
For those car nuts out there, Google "Barra" engines.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:31 am

I had an early version in my 1961 Mercury Comet Ron. 144 cu and around 80 hp as I recall. Traded my 1959 Ford Anglia for it. Worthy little engine that gave me no problems. Made trips between Florida and New Hampshire with it.

I have a standing offer from a friend to give me this one, identical to the one I had. 10 years ago I would have taken him up on it. Not sure I could deal with it today.

Another rusted engine! Full size.... Comet_11
Another rusted engine! Full size.... Comet_10

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1961+mercury+comet&docid=608022765963708234&mid=1290D537DA8A7015BD1E1290D537DA8A7015BD1E&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Looking forward to reading about your build and using it in your MGA. Have you thought about a tranny and engine mounts?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:41 am

This will bee an interesting project , will take some engineering to get that baby in there with a drivetrain setup . Popcorn Should make the MGA haul butt ! Smoking
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:05 am

Thanks guys,

Bob, if that was a 2 door I wouldn’t hesitate. As it sits it would be more of a labor of love. Really like the taillights.

So, to answer the questions, yes and no. I can easily adapt a T5 to it and that would be my first choice, my concern is where the shifter would line up. The motor mounts will be easy to configure. I really need to have the body off before I can even think about how everything will go together. I have seen just 2 unfinished inline 6 installs in MGA’s one was a Datsun 240Z engine and the other a 4.0 Jeep engine. Both of those are considerably larger and heavier than the Ford 200. The 1588cc that’s in mine now is locked solid and non matching in number as I should have a 1489cc. The 200 weighs in at 385lbs dressed with cast iron head. The stock B series engine weighs in at 400lbs dressed. I can drop 40lbs with the crossflow aluminum head so we are talking a 55lb weight savings installing a six cylinder.

Long story short if they can stuff the Datsun and Jeep six in there, then surely I can make the 200 work relatively easy.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:19 am

I was part of a team stuffing a chev 283 V8 and manual tranny (sorry don't remember which trans) into a Opal GT (poor mans 'vette)
first run snapped pinion gear ....duh.....grin

Also team member for 77 Cady fleetwood 4 door on bronco 4x4 chassis lifted....very cool

Ron this is cool stuff...following intently
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:20 am

A friend of mine owns his own painting business, his dad owns the lot he parks his work vans on. His dad has 12 Opal Gt's sitting there surrounding the property. One 73 Saab Sonnet and a Jensen Interceptor 440 car as well. He gets furious when we look at them and refuses to do anything with all of them. It's a crime to see them rotting away. The Jensen up to a few years ago ran and looked pretty good for sitting out in these parts. Now it's a mess and a real shame to see it in such poor condition.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Ken, I see a lot of that. He probably thinks they are worth more than they really are and he plans on living forever. Whatever, they are his cars.

Never been keen in the Interceptor styling although the convertibles aren’t too bad.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Ken Cook wrote:           A friend of mine owns his own painting business, his dad owns the lot he parks his work vans on. His dad has 12 Opal Gt's sitting there surrounding the property. One 73 Saab Sonnet and a Jensen Interceptor 440 car as well.  He gets furious when we look at them and refuses to do anything with all of them. It's a crime to see them rotting away. The Jensen up to a few years ago ran and looked pretty good for sitting out in these parts. Now it's a mess and a real shame to see it in such poor condition.

Same thing here in WV, only featuring about a dozen old Volvos and a lone black and red 54 Mercury. Right across from the local Dollar General sitting up on a knoll. Been there unmoved and rusting away ever since I have lived here, about 10 years. I carefully took a picture (that shotgun thing) a couple of years ago but it did not come out well. Might chance another.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I had an early version in my 1961 Mercury Comet Ron.  144 cu and around 80 hp as I recall.  Traded my 1959 Ford Anglia for it.  Worthy little engine that gave me no problems.  Made trips between Florida and New Hampshire with it.

I have a standing offer from a friend to give me this one, identical to the one I had.  10 years ago I would have taken him up on it.  Not sure I could deal with it today.

Another rusted engine! Full size.... Comet_11

That brings back memories. Very Happy  My mom had a '63 Mercury Meteor when i was a kid. 144 and three on the tree. I learned how to drive in that car. Used to take it out on the Iowa farm country back roads (without mom's knowledge)Shocked  before I had a drivers license.

Looked like this one.

Another rusted engine! Full size.... 71634201-770-0@2X
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:32 am

One particular 6 that Ford made was the 223. I had one in my 64 F-100. 64 was the last year for the 223. This was a neat engine, Ford made them for tractors, taxis and this engine was even especially made for police cars. Mine could really pull but it was not a highway vehicle. I could get it to go about 82 mph top speed. I really needed a 4 speed trans. My first gear felt like a granny gear trans and I never confirmed this but I hardly ever used 1st gear unless on a steep hill. 3 bolts held the engine in, a large horseshoe bracket from rad support to front of block and two ears on the rear of the block. I bought the truck in 82 for $25 with everything in milk crates. I should've never sold that truck.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:31 am

Nice story TL.  My wife learned to drive in that Comet too.  Automatic transmission, she couldn't master the four speed in the English Ford.  

I still have the original window sticker.

Another rusted engine! Full size.... Scan_245
Another rusted engine! Full size.... Scan_244

Sorry for the jack Ron, but it might be interesting to note the differences between this simple window sticker and todays more complex all-inclusive stickers.  Also additional charges etc..

$2444 = about $17,500 today.

Hmm, it was a two door.  Forgot about that.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down