Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

More weekend flying, Sunday June 24 Cox_ba12

More weekend flying, Sunday June 24 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Today at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Today at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Today at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Today at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Today at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

More weekend flying, Sunday June 24 Empty
Live on Patrol

More weekend flying, Sunday June 24

Go down

More weekend flying, Sunday June 24 Empty More weekend flying, Sunday June 24

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:17 am

It was nice and fairly calm this afternoon, a rarity wind-wise around here and not a car in the church parking lot, and that was my calling. So I thought, okay, let's go see what this thing will really do. I had neatened up the balancing arrangement on the Streak and added 2 more grams, which had it nosing over perfectly at the recommended c/g. I re-packed the Radio Flyer and headed to the church yard about 6:00. I didn't take the camera, too much trouble, just figured I'd file a flight report.

Cranked up the trusty .051 and this time when I pulled it free, I gave it full up at first and it didn't dip a bit. The elevator was set less sensitive and the new balance was right on. She was a dream to fly, all be it at 97 freakin miles per hour. Seemed like it anyway. I'm going to add 5 feet of line to my radius for an 80 foot circle instead of 75. I hope that'll make it feel slower. Did I mention I put a full ounce of fuel in it?

Anyway, off she went for a couple of flat laps, so I pulled up for a nice clean loop and leveled off out of it at the same height I started it, just like the old dudes do. Laughing On the next lap I pulled up higher just to be safe and gave it full down and she rolled through an outside loop just the same radius as the inside loop. So a lap or two later I flipped it inverted and did some laps. No loops or anything, I still am rusty this season on that stuff. Had it been the Stuntman, I would have done anything. That old beater is indestructible.

I flipped it back and went around a couple and did a figure 8. I lost count, but I just stood there going back and forth. No wingovers. I have done very few of them and even less on purpose. Ain't it nice to have a fat load of fuel! The TD runs so good it's unbelievable. Best $32 I ever spent on modeling. I was thinking about fuel by now so I continued doing flat laps sticking in a loop or two here and there. I even did a triple inside loop. Only 2 single outsiders. For some reason I'm less comfortable with those, probably because no other plane flies as nice when you work the elevator as the Flite Streak. The less sensitive setting had no effect on the size of the loops, it just smoothed out my spastic handling. It doesn't care which way you want it to go, it just goes where you point it. I'll get used to it. I need to learn some real contest stunts. I may skip the vertical 8s for a while. And on we fly, it's gotta run dry sometime. And it did. I can fly it a whole lap easily after the engine quits even if I'm just 6 feet off the ground. I didn't know any plane would glide like that. And then I touch down with my usual grassy nose-over. Oh well. I can roll the Stuntman in the grass but it has two wheels. What a great idea.

My babe showed up about the time I landed it and said, Aw, you crashed. I said, I did not, it always lands like that! She knows it too, she's just picking on me. Then I said, Hey, would you please go get the camera for me.This was just too damn good to not get on the Tube.

So while she was gone, I flew another half-ouncer, probably 3 minutes or so. I don't know, that last flight seemed like it lasted 15 minutes. It was really closer to a few minutes. Zooming around like that will wear you out. When she got back with the camera, I set it up and staged another flight. You will see it comes straight out of the stooge now and off I went. You have to watch very close but on the 3rd lap I did an inside loop, then on the 4th lap I did an outside loop. Then on the 5th or 6th lap I flipped it to go inverted. But rather than leveling off, it went into an outside loop... not by my command, it just did. I was pulling out of it, had it horizontal and the wheel hit the ground. All I can figure after looking at the wreck is the zip tie holding the hex nut weight must have popped. It was touching the inboard aluminum engine mounting brace. I found the nut a quarter lap before it hit the ground.

Boy... I mean boy was I [bleep]. Yesterdays cracks were untouched. There was no dirt on the engine or nose bolt, so the front end had no real impact, just a gut wrenching belly flop and a 6 foot high bounce before it stopped. The bladder was popped too. When I got it to the shop, I saw the underside of the nose under the engine was all scarred up, all the way to the wood. I think the nut and the vibration was responsible for that. After peeling some paint off, I saw the wood was wet. The doublers are still hard as a rock though.

No more strapping nuts to it. I an going to relocate the engine so it does all the balancing, fill the old screw holes with epoxy and add some fiberglass. I do not want to fuel soak it, continue to wreck it and render it a hangar queen. So it'll be a week before she's ready to fly again. With longer lines and a slower prop at least until I prove I can fly without wrecking it.

Anyway, as much as I hate to show you this, here it is. If you can't do full screen and set it to HD, you won't see much.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

More weekend flying, Sunday June 24 Empty Re: More weekend flying, Sunday June 24

Post  John Goddard Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:45 am

The walk of shame at the end made me chuckle Rusty, been there, done that.
Laughing
It looked a cracker whilst it was up and at least it doesn't sound too bad to
repair.
Cool

John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

More weekend flying, Sunday June 24 Empty Re: More weekend flying, Sunday June 24

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:24 am

Rusty, I know how frustrating that can be. I think we all can honestly say we've all done the same thing. On a positive note is seems as though you truly have a good engine run and that's number one. Getting the plane trimmed a bit more is what needs to be done. If your tight for space on line length, you may just need to tame the engine down a bit. Maybe consider a 325 head vs the high comp. Or just add a few head gaskets on the high comp. Do you have a larger control horn. that may just calm down the controls a bit giving you a bit more adjustment. I have to say though it did look good. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:10 am

My wife surveyed the circle and said I can extend the lines to add 10 feet to my diameter. That might slow it a bit. I'll also use a 6" prop at least for the next flight.

Meanwhile I'm going to balance it by moving the TD forward. No more nuts! The hex nut weight is what did all of the damage, mostly scarring and it let a little fuel into the balsa. When I do that modification I'll glass the nose just to make sure she stays tough and fuel proof. I'll use LocTite 60 minute epoxy this time. She's still pretty, and I want to make sure she stays that way.

John, she's quite a cracker all right. No kidding, that .051 is one badass engine. None of that too-heavy problem I was worrying about. I've been using a MA 5.5x3 prop.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum