Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Cox_ba12

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 4:38 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 4:23 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 3:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 3:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 2:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:34 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 10:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 9:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 8:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Empty Re: "Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread

Post  ElectricTony Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:25 pm

Older radio systems use FM or AM modulation so only 1 person can fly on any 1 frequency at a time. Depending on how old your system is, it may not still be legal to use if it is not a Narrow Band system.
Newer 2.4 Ghz radio systems actually set up a computer link (Mac Address) from transmitter to receiver. You "Bind" the receiver to the transmitter to establish that link. With the newer 2.4 Ghz systems many people can fly at the same time without radio interference since you are actually sending WiFi computer commands to the receiver. Collisions are another story...
Last year at the NEAT fair we had close to 60 aircraft in the air at one time during the Mass Warbird Launch.
Talk about mass carnage Shocked
The radio system you choose is a personal preference. I use a Horizon Hobby Spektrum Transmitter (DX8). The DSM2 / DSMX protocol is the most popular giving the widest range of choice in both Spektrum & aftermarket receivers such as Hobby King, Lemon, etc. which brings the price down.
You can use any servos you want, only the Transmitter / Receiver is proprietary. Hobby King makes some nice, small, inexpensive micro receivers, some that are even 3 axis stabilized with built in gyros. I have never been "Shot Down" since switching to 2.4 Ghz system.

Regards,
Tony
ElectricTony
ElectricTony
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Empty another +1

Post  happydad Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:48 pm

ElectricTony wrote:Older radio systems use FM or AM modulation so only 1 person can fly on any 1 frequency at a time. Depending on how old your system is, it may not still be legal to use if it is not a Narrow Band system.
Newer 2.4 Ghz radio systems actually set up a computer link (Mac Address) from transmitter to receiver. You "Bind" the receiver to the transmitter to establish that link. With the newer 2.4 Ghz systems many people can fly at the same time without radio interference since you are actually sending WiFi computer commands to the receiver. Collisions are another story...
Last year at the NEAT fair we had close to 60 aircraft in the air at one time during the Mass Warbird Launch.
Talk about mass carnage Shocked
The radio system you choose is a personal preference. I use a Horizon Hobby Spektrum Transmitter (DX8). The DSM2 / DSMX protocol is the most popular giving the widest range of choice in both Spektrum & aftermarket receivers such as Hobby King, Lemon, etc. which brings the price down.
You can use any servos you want, only the Transmitter / Receiver is proprietary. Hobby King makes some nice, small, inexpensive micro receivers, some that are even 3 axis stabilized with built in gyros. I have never been "Shot Down" since switching to 2.4 Ghz system.

Regards,
Tony

Thanks again for all the info. Your stealing my thunder. I was going to cover the radio systems when I got to the installation part. +1 anyway.

happydad  I'm retired    RC Plane  
                                                     Head Bang Head Bang      Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Empty see me first

Post  happydad Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:17 pm

getback wrote:First what is a bind plug ? /// and I was just thinking Huh...  I have old systems that have large batt. / servos /reciev.  too heavy for small planes and if a person were going to purchase a complete (expensive) but reliable system with micro servo and all the goodies for later use in small 2-3 channel planes with Cox engines in them , what would you recommend ?  Not to Hijacked your build Larry , Looking good !1 getback  Small Cox Logo

getback: if you need advice on a newer system PLEASE contact someone like larry or myself first before you go and spend a large amount of money on a newer radio system. We or others, like Kim, can advise you or even maybe have an older new system sitting around we/they are waiting to sell to a newcomer to 2.4GHz cheap. I started with a $25.00 system for receiver and transmitter. It worked fine for me, except I wanted to be able to mix elevator and aileron for a V-tailed sailplane. So I spent $35.00 for a used radio system. It worked fine for me until...  you get the picture. There is always something else you want to add. My current transmitter, similar to Larry's, is a Spektrum Dx6i, It lets you store up to 10 different types of aircraft settings. So I can have 8 aircraft and 2 helicopters or whatever. And you can save all the settings you want like mixing rudder and aileron, or aileron and elevator, set the range to any % instead of 100%, have dual rate controls, like 1 = 100% and 2=45% or however you set it. This type of transmitter is in the $100 to $200 range. I paid $70 for a used transmitter. and it had just been updated, for free, by the manufacturer due to a low percentage defect in SOME of the joystick potentiometers. So the manufacturer replaced a lot of the older, not brand new, parts for free.
   anyway. ask before you sink a lot of money into something new. Checkout the manufacturer for complaints, Google, and ask friends.

happydad    I'm retired     RC Plane      Blow up Mad!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Empty Continuing the build topic of the Spitfire

Post  happydad Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:33 am

I took a few more pictures of initial mounting of the power ON-OFF?charge plate and the eleveator and rudder servos for the Gravity, (Cox), Spitfire.

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Img_0617
first adding glue to both the charge plate and the area where it will go.

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Img_0618
second adding the charge plate to the fuselage.

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Img_0619
then adding a weight to the charge plate to keep it in place while the glue dries.

The pictures of the servo area did not turn out, white on white, so I'll have to finish this later

That's all folks.

happydad   I'm retired     RC Plane          Blow up Mad!  Blow up Mad!  Blow up Mad!  Blow up Mad!           I Love This Forum!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Empty Re: "Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread

Post  getback Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:03 am

happydad wrote:
getback wrote:First what is a bind plug ? /// and I was just thinking Huh...  I have old systems that have large batt. / servos /reciev.  too heavy for small planes and if a person were going to purchase a complete (expensive) but reliable system with micro servo and all the goodies for later use in small 2-3 channel planes with Cox engines in them , what would you recommend ?  Not to Hijacked your build Larry , Looking good !1 getback  Small Cox Logo

getback: if you need advice on a newer system PLEASE contact someone like larry or myself first before you go and spend a large amount of money on a newer radio system. We or others, like Kim, can advise you or even maybe have an older new system sitting around we/they are waiting to sell to a newcomer to 2.4GHz cheap. I started with a $25.00 system for receiver and transmitter. It worked fine for me, except I wanted to be able to mix elevator and aileron for a V-tailed sailplane. So I spent $35.00 for a used radio system. It worked fine for me until...  you get the picture. There is always something else you want to add. My current transmitter, similar to Larry's, is a Spektrum Dx6i, It lets you store up to 10 different types of aircraft settings. So I can have 8 aircraft and 2 helicopters or whatever. And you can save all the settings you want like mixing rudder and aileron, or aileron and elevator, set the range to any % instead of 100%, have dual rate controls, like 1 = 100% and 2=45% or however you set it. This type of transmitter is in the $100 to $200 range. I paid $70 for a used transmitter. and it had just been updated, for free, by the manufacturer due to a low percentage defect in SOME of the joystick potentiometers. So the manufacturer replaced a lot of the older, not brand new, parts for free.
   anyway. ask before you sink a lot of money into something new. Checkout the manufacturer for complaints, Google, and ask friends.  >>> Thanks Larry I will keep that in mine , still waiting on the Booty though. getback    Back To Topic

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Empty I.m trying

Post  happydad Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:25 am

getback wrote:
happydad wrote:

anyway. ask before you sink a lot of money into something new. Checkout the manufacturer for complaints, Google, and ask friends.  >>> Thanks Larry I will keep that in mine , still waiting on the Booty though. getback    Back To Topic

Dude I'm trying. I stayed up all night to add the pictures of the Spitfire internals as I was placing the servos and the power/charge plate. I had to wait for the glue to dry, take the pics then post them.
 And $25.00 for a 2.4GHz radio system isn't too much booty to start with.
    hey I'm retired and rely on coke cans, ebay sales and misc. other stuff for my booty and I'm 70 with a left hip replacement still rehabbing.

happydad  still tired and retired.  RC Plane Head Bang Head Bang Head Bang Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

"Cox Gravity Warbirds" F4-U Corsair RC upgrade thread - Page 2 Empty More pics ?

Post  happydad Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:03 am

I was all ready to add more information on the Gravity, (Cox), Spitfire in the internal parts area, but surprise Win10 asked me to sign in to a windows live account and create a new password, the I restarted my PC and my start password was gone and Win10 asked me for a PIN?. What did I get myself into. I had upgraded 2 other PC's to Win10 today and no problems. In fact I wondered why the new updates looked normal and my 10 day old Win10 update still did not show desktop icons. Whatever. Mine only, not the 3rd desktop, or my wife's all-in-1 desktop she doesn't use because she has an iPad, my laptop??

Anyway all my pictures are on the PC and my editing tools so I will continue as soon as I fix this bug.
Sorry.
Unhappydad. I'm tired and still retired. RC Plane   I Love This Forum!  Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2